Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

RanaldoNecro

Silver Supporting Member
One just couldn't top Mellon Collie. So Billy just drove the car off the road with Adore. Time has been kind to that album.

Exiled_On_Main_St

Why does everybody cut them off before Adore? I like Adore better than Mellon Collie…

That's okay you can like what you like but most prefer Mellon Collie, Siamese Dream over Adore which was a distinct departure from their progressive alt rock sound to a more electronic sound. The tumultuous time where they lost their keyboard to an OD and they kicked Jimmy out is pretty evident in the darkness of the music and the kind of hit and miss quality of the songs. In my opinion.

Ry@n

That's okay you can like what you like but most prefer Mellon Collie, Siamese Dream over Adore which was a distinct departure from their progressive alt rock sound to a more electronic sound. The tumultuous time where they lost their keyboard to an OD and they kicked Jimmy out is pretty evident in the darkness of the music and the kind of hit and miss quality of the songs. In my opinion.
I get that this is a common take on Adore, but there’s really only a more “electronic” sound on a few tracks. I agree it’s a departure and not solid gold, but Mellon Collie, IMO, could have done with some editing down, itself… and I like darkness, which is probably why I like Adore.

brain21

Silver Supporting Member
I wasn’t expecting this. there’s a Smashing Pumpkins show from 1988 in its entirely on YT. no Strats, Marshalls or Big Muffs. just a Mustang / Tele into Roland Jazz Choruses. heavy on The Smiths / The Cure post-punk. very cool stuff!

This song is on Pisces Iscarot iirc (~1994?). The rest of the album is mostly classic heavy SP (check out "Pissant" as an example). It makes me wonder if this was an old song that they literally put on there as filler?

shoule79

The dude is really bright. His recorded output from 93 to 96 is incredible IMHO.
I'd bump that from 91 - 99. Gish was great, Eye was a great tune in 97, and Stand inside your love makes up for the less than stellar stuff on Machina. The band should have definitely fired their stylist circa 99.

That being said, I didn't like Adore when it came out, but came around to it later.

shoule79

In terms of commercial impact, The Cranberries strike down The Smiths, but that has an explanation, and that is that in the 80s the major record companies had not yet entered the alternative scene. The Smiths was jangle-pop with hints of post-punk and indie-pop, and the 5 years they were together were always in an independent discography, which was unable to commercially exploit their success on the Manchester scene. That's why The Smiths and Morrissey together have sold 7M copies and The Cranberries 50M.

Garth Brooks has sold over 170 million albums. He is obviously better than the Cranberries.

I liked the Cranberries when they came out, and still do, but like many other groups of the 90's, their cultural relevance ended around the year 2000.

The Smiths defined the indie sound, at least guitar playing wise, of their generation. I hear their influence in groups all the way from the 80's till today, see kids wearing their shirts, mentions and songs played in movies and on TV shows, heck, there is an Irish pub in my city of 450K, in Canada, with a two story mural of Morrissey on the side of it. They still have this relevance 35 years after they broke up, with Morrissey being a very public cockwomble the last decade or so.

Aside from some mentions in the news after Dolores passed and some butchered neo-grunge covers of Zombie, I hadn't really thought of or noticed anyone talking about them in over 20 years. When I think of the Smiths I think of contemporaries like the Cure and REM. The Cranberries are more lumped in with and around the time period of Hole, Alanis Morrissette, and slightly later stuff like Garbage.

Its hard to compare these two because they came out almost a decade apart, two very different eras in music, and one was very, very obviously influenced by the other. But the Smiths are probably going to continue to influence bands well into the future, like the Velvet Underground, Stooges, Big Star, Pistols, or Clash. Maybe the Cranberries will one day, but I just don't see their influence anywhere right now to suggest that will happen.

Adolf

None of what you just said is remotely in line with your posts regarding The Cranberries. In fact you consistently make absolute statements about them and always get your feathers ruffled when someone disagrees.
You mean the absolute statements in the post above you? saying that The Cranberries have not influenced anyone, despite the fact that I have quoted many times people who cite Dolores as their great influence?

slooky

The Smiths was an early and poorer version of The Cranberries, only without that folk component of and with a tremendously better vocalist (the Irish band)
Are you a comedian?
Do you think Morrissey is better vocalist than Dolores?
Are you a comedian?
I doubt both statements, but if they were true it would be 3 more chords than Morrissey knew. Dolores played the guitar since she was 16 years old
Yes!!!your a comedian

Top Bottom