Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

Exiled_On_Main_St

I don't mind people like you making fun of my musical tastes. Music is subjective, and as such absolute truths do not exist.

Maybe you should stop banging on about that band. We get it, you love the Cranberries. We understand, you love the singer so much, but it's really kind of strange how much you relentlessly go on and on and on about her, about them, and turn every thread into a Cranberries thread.

Adolf

Garth Brooks has sold over 170 million albums. He is obviously better than the Cranberries.

I liked the Cranberries when they came out, and still do, but like many other groups of the 90's, their cultural relevance ended around the year 2000.

The Smiths defined the indie sound, at least guitar playing wise, of their generation. I hear their influence in groups all the way from the 80's till today, see kids wearing their shirts, mentions and songs played in movies and on TV shows, heck, there is an Irish pub in my city of 450K, in Canada, with a two story mural of Morrissey on the side of it. They still have this relevance 35 years after they broke up, with Morrissey being a very public cockwomble the last decade or so.

Aside from some mentions in the news after Dolores passed and some butchered neo-grunge covers of Zombie, I hadn't really thought of or noticed anyone talking about them in over 20 years. When I think of the Smiths I think of contemporaries like the Cure and REM. The Cranberries are more lumped in with and around the time period of Hole, Alanis Morrissette, and slightly later stuff like Garbage.

Its hard to compare these two because they came out almost a decade apart, two very different eras in music, and one was very, very obviously influenced by the other. But the Smiths are probably going to continue to influence bands well into the future, like the Velvet Underground, Stooges, Big Star, Pistols, or Clash. Maybe the Cranberries will one day, but I just don't see their influence anywhere right now to suggest that will happen.
If you really believe that from 2000 The Cranberries their cultural relevance ended, you have a serious perception problem. Bury The Hatchet was in the Top 50 sales in Spain until 2002, and those songs were the ones I grew up with since my generation is Linkin Park and NuMetal.

That's why I always loved The Cranberries, because they were an old school band that had a unique identity. Without a doubt, the band of my life.

Finding out how big they were in the 90s was incredible, until 2005 I hadn't had the opportunity to listen to the albums before Bury The Hatchet, I was 14 years old.
That impact that Morrissey and The Smiths had on the adolescence or youth of many people was as great as what it caused me to discover The Cranberries, 10 years after their peak.

Everything that has been mentioned about the feelings that fans of The Smiths felt is exactly what I felt in 2005 when I definitely discovered the band.

Finally, I am tired of reading in this forum that music is not a competition. Why do you compare The Cranberries with The Velvet Underground? Lou Reed would be older even than Dolores's mother, THEY ARE DIFFERENT GENERATIONS.

Adolf

Maybe you should stop banging on about that band. We get it, you love the Cranberries. We understand, you love the singer so much, but it's really kind of strange how much you relentlessly go on and on and on about her, about them, and turn every thread into a Cranberries thread.
Thanks to these forums whose average membership age is over 60, I understand why Rock died 20 years ago.

So sad.

Adolf

By the Other hand, I dislike so much Corgan's voice (I don't say he is a bad vocalist), but Adore is in my Top15 of the decade

Adolf

We all know you're playing it right now.
No:
Screenshot_2022-01-27-23-41-17-611_com.spotify.music.jpg

cookieshoes

Thanks to these forums whose average membership age is over 60, I understand why Rock died 20 years ago.

So sad.

Yeah, I know what you mean. That Dolores O'Riordan (born September 1971) would've been 50 years old by now. Exactly the kind of person you can blame for the the death of rock. She was the lead singer of a really generic alt rock band in the 90's called The Cranberries (not sure if you've heard of them?). While they achieved a significant amount of success, they are part of that radio-friendly category where you would find bands like Hootie and the Blowfish or any number of other platinum selling artists from that era who had constant videos on MTV. As we can see today, they did very little to push rock forward in any meaningful way. A couple of catchy tunes, a couple of really annoying ones, lots of silly music videos.

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Adore is way better album. I think no one could stand almost 2 hours in a row listening to Corgan!
2 hours? Are you referring to Mellon Collie the double album? Siamese dream isn’t 2hrs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom