Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

360MG

It's a very diplomatic response, but as much mysticism and romanticism as Morrissey stirs up, we both know they're not even in the same league.

Yes, Morrissey was a better lyricist, but Dolores was also a songwriter, and a good songwriter.
That's cute.

Adolf

Yeah, I know what you mean. That Dolores O'Riordan (born September 1971) would've been 50 years old by now. Exactly the kind of person you can blame for the the death of rock. She was the lead singer of a really generic alt rock band in the 90's called The Cranberries (not sure if you've heard of them?). While they achieved a significant amount of success, they are part of that radio-friendly category where you would find bands like Hootie in the Blowfish or any number of other platinum selling artists from that era who had constant videos on MTV. As we can see today, they did very little to push rock forward in any meaningful way. A couple of catchy tunes, a couple of really annoying ones, lots of silly music videos.
That mentality sucks

cookieshoes

That mentality sucks

What, the data-driven approach?

Dolores would be 50 by now. You do realize your fanaticism is around a woman who would be the exact age range that you are now railing against, right?

You have no idea what age any of us are. Because it doesn't matter. You've outed yourself as being in your 20-30s, if memory serves. So, on some level the kids of today would look at you as "ancient" as well. It's always relative. That's why it's best not to constantly champion your opinion as "the only right one" wherever you go.

Adolf

What, the data-driven approach?

Dolores would be 50 by now. You do realize your fanaticism is around a woman who would be the exact age range that you are now railing against, right?

You have no idea what age any of us are. Because it doesn't matter. You've outed yourself as being in your 20-30s, if memory serves. So, on some level the kids of today would look at you as "ancient" as well. It's always relative. That's why it's best not to constantly champion your opinion as "the only right one" wherever you go.

You should learn manners from rock legends like Dave Davies;

360MG

Why is @Adolf always called a troll? He is not a troll, must we go Through this every time? He’s a true original, and his opinions whether you agree with him or not are valid.
Yeah, nopes to that.

Anybody who claims that one particular artist is objectively better than another artist (once you hit a certain level of professional competence) is making a category error. Artistic preferences are innately subjective.

His preferences are indeed valid. Making absurd claims based on them is not.

Adolf

Yeah, nopes to that.

Anybody who claims that one particular artist is objectively better than another artist (once you hit a certain level of professional competence) is making a category error. Artistic preferences are innately subjective.

His preferences are indeed valid. Making absurd claims based on them is not.

If respect for the artist I love the most had been maintained in this forum, I would have had no problem recognizing that The Smiths was more influential, in fact I even think so. Among other things they were born 8 years earlier!

The problem is that from the beginning I have been ridiculed for my simple "excessive" love for a band and an artist who is no longer, and who influenced my life since I was born. That band, moreover, has been underestimated many times, even mistreated.

Until these grievances are corrected, my attitude will be defensive and not cordial with those who have committed such injustices.

cookieshoes

You should learn manners from rock legends like Dave Davies;

Per your own logic, why should anything that "old man" say be worth anything? On top of the fact that the Kinks never had anything higher than a Gold record during their active time together. So, no one could say they ever really made it outside of the UK, just like the Smiths. Again, per your logic, the Kinks are therefore "overrated". Right?

So, Dave Davies saying anything about Dolores is about as useful as Morrissey saying anything about Dolores. In your world, Dolores is the sun, and everything else revolves around it.

cookieshoes

If respect for the artist I love the most had been maintained in this forum, I would have had no problem recognizing that The Smiths was more influential, in fact I even think so. Among other things they were born 8 years earlier!

The problem is that from the beginning I have been ridiculed for my simple "excessive" love for a band and an artist who no longer edit, and who influenced my life since I was born. That band, moreover, has been underestimated many times, even mistreated.

Until these grievances are corrected, my attitude will be defensive and not cordial with those who have committed such injustices.

I know right? Who says Millenials have entitlement issues.

360MG

The problem is that from the beginning I have been ridiculed for my simple "excessive" love for a band and an artist who no longer edit, and who influenced my life since I was born. That band, moreover, has been underestimated many times, even mistreated.

Dude, stop.

You hijack every musical preference thread. It's old. Why do you care what other people think about the cranberries? It's fine to love them, but the attempts at religious conversion to The True Way aren't going to bring you happiness or bring Dolores back.

Adolf

Per your own logic, why should anything that "old man" say be worth anything? On top of the fact that the Kinks never had anything higher than a Gold record during their active time together. So, no one could say they ever really made it outside of the UK, just like the Smiths. Again, per your logic, the Kinks are therefore "overrated". Right?

So, Dave Davies saying anything about Dolores is about as useful as Morrissey saying anything about Dolores. In your world, Dolores is the sun, and everything else revolves around it.
The Kinks invented punk and even metal, comparing them to The Smiths is absurd. They are nothing compared to The Kinks.

Adolf

Dude, stop.

You hijack every musical preference thread. It's old. Why do you care what other people think about the cranberries? It's fine to love them, but the attempts at religious conversion to The True Way aren't going to bring you happiness or bring Dolores back.
Making fun of a person's death is very mean.

Troglite

This is NOT even a musical preference thread!

Its about one band from the 90’s and how different they sounded when they originally formed. Original post included a reference to one band from the 80’s. The OP made no claims that this band or the singer was better than anything other than perhaps their former selves.

Dude, stop.

The problem is that from the beginning I have been ridiculed for my simple "excessive" love for a band and an artist who is no longer, and who influenced my life since I was born. That band, moreover, has been underestimated many times, even mistreated.

Adolf

This is NOT even a musical preference thread!

Its about one band from the 90’s and how different they sounded when they originally formed. Original post included a reference to one band from the 80’s. The OP made no claims that this band or the singer was better than anything other than perhaps their former selves.
You are right

Top Bottom