Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

To this day! I have never heard a single song by the Smiths. The Pumpkins must have done something right. I always assumed the other band was like that great restaurant on Rte 66 that everyone claimed to have been to, but really hadn’t.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I always assumed the other band was like that great restaurant on Rte 66 that everyone claimed to have been to, but really hadn’t.

The Smiths? I undoubtedly have more familiarity with them than with Smashing Pumpkins--although I have decent familiarity with the latter (at least for the period before and during their commercial heyday).

Adolf

To this day! I have never heard a single song by the Smiths. The Pumpkins must have done something right. I always assumed the other band was like that great restaurant on Rte 66 that everyone claimed to have been to, but really hadn’t.
Me neither until 24. I recently asked some family and friends, about 30 people in all, if they knew who The Smiths or Morrissey were, and none of them did.

360MG

I actually couldn't get past the vocals when I was in HS. I'm peak GenX, so I was a ripe convert. Rediscovered them in a roundabout way through this guy's covers:

cookieshoes

Me neither until 24. I recently asked some family and friends, about 30 people in all, if they knew who The Smiths or Morrissey were, and none of them did.

Birds of a feather, they do flock together. Just because you don't listen to them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I myself don't watch Bollywood movies, but it's a multi-million/billion dollar industry with hundreds of millions of viewers. Just because no one I know watches any of those films doesn't mean that they don't exist, and that they aren't massively popular, and highly influential.

Whereas, I had to sit through thousands of hours of MTV and Radio airplay of Cranberries during the 90s-00s, because we weren't lucky enough to have Satellite radio or streaming at that time. So, yeah, very familiar with how mediocre that band was.

360MG

Back on topic, I can confidently say that the Pumpkins were *the worst* live act I have seen. Lower than Loverboy, which at least had some novelty schtick in favor. Shame, too, because I really enjoyed Gish and Siamese Dream. SD had such a good sound texture to it, like a more accessible My Bloody Valentine.

Adolf

IMG_20220128_005500.jpg

I read it, anyway I deserve to be whipped.

Raimond

Back on topic, I can confidently say that the Pumpkins were *the worst* live act I have seen. Lower than Loverboy, which at least had some novelty schtick in favor. Shame, too, because I really enjoyed Gish and Siamese Dream. SD had such a good sound texture to it, like a more accessible My Bloody Valentine.

Due to the Vocals? Or something else?

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member

Was this with D'Arcy and James Iha?

snoqualmie

Silver Supporting Member
Due to the Vocals? Or something else?

I'm betting it was the vocals lol. Billy can sound pretty whiny. It's funny I really only love the first two SP albums, the rest not so much. That said, Siamese Dream is one of if not my favorite album of all time. To me it is the perfect vision of SP and Butch Vigs production is so good.

Raimond

I'm betting it was the vocals lol. Billy can sound pretty whiny. It's funny I really only love the first two SP albums, the rest not so much. That said, Siamese Dream is one of if not my favorite album of all time. To me it is the perfect vision of SP and Butch Vigs production is so good.
True, I think I saw an interview where Billy said he is a guitarist that sings not a singer who plays guitar which makes sense, definitely a unique voice, definitely not for everyone, but then again who is? Yeh Butch Vig is a great producer! And a pretty good drummer!

Adolf

True, I think I saw an interview where Billy said he is a guitarist that sings not a singer who plays guitar which makes sense, definitely a unique voice, definitely not for everyone, but then again who is? Yeh Butch Vig is a great producer! And a pretty good drummer!
I don't like his voice, but I respect people who like it and his artistry

Donn Rowe

I really liked the Pumpkins in one song blasts ! The vocals are just too much! Great band otherwise! They seem to want to be "artsy". The Smiths are a whole different thing to me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom