Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

MrTAteMyBalls

Dolores is faaaar better than him, as well as a guitarist

Are you actually saying the Delores was a better guitar player than Billy Corgan???? You cannot be serious. Billy is an absolutely KILLER guitarist. Man, I have defended you in a few of these threads, but your desire to compare EVERY artist discussed here to the Cranberries is just getting old. We are on page 3 of discussing the cranberries vs the smiths....on a thread about the smashing pumpkins. I came here because I am pumpkins fan and would like to discuss them. Give it a rest already.

Adolf

Are you actually saying the Delores was a better guitar player than Billy Corgan???? You cannot be serious. Billy is an absolutely KILLER guitarist. Man, I have defended you in a few of these threads, but your desire to compare EVERY artist discussed here to the Cranberries is just getting old. We are on page 3 of discussing the cranberries vs the smiths....on a thread about the smashing pumpkins. I came here because I am pumpkins fan and would like to discuss them. Give it a rest already.
I meant Morrissey

MrTAteMyBalls

I find The Cranberries...too tart.

I prefer The Blueberries or The Strawberries.

I find The Smiths..too general.

I prefer The Joneses or The Johnsons.

Just Kidding.

I enjoy both The Smiths and The Cranberries.

MEANWHILE, BACK TO THE PUMPKINS:

I hear some Joy Division/early New Order in them as well:

Bleed

Agreed. Obviously, Billy loved all the hard rock lead guitar stuff but for songwriting I think Joy Division, the cure, the smiths, REM all were big influences....then later the pixies and my bloody valentine. The mix of all those influences with the guitar god 70's/80's shred stuff with loads of distortion mixed with dreamy clean parts is what made the pumpkins so great. They are still an all time favorite for me.....but their last album was garbage, IMO. The one with Tommy Lee was better than this.

EvilAsh

The soma solo is my all time favourite solo, the tone, the technique, the passion and energy, it’s just utterly perfect. And despite attempting it many times and being able to play countless Metallica, Slayer, etc, solos, I can never play it the way he does. Quite an exceptional guitarist imo

MrTAteMyBalls

Why does everybody cut them off before Adore? I like Adore better than Mellon Collie…

I also like Adore. BUT it is hard to listen to because the production is so dated. Jimmy was not around, and BC had to make the record mostly alone. The synth and drum loop stuff just sounds SOOOO mid-90's. However, I think Billy was still in a very fertile creative place and the songwriting is really strong.

I saw them on the Zeitgeist tour and the stuff they played from Adore was awesome. Way better than the album versions.

For that matter, Machina and Zwan are both really good albums.

EvilAsh

I also like Adore. BUT it is hard to listen to because the production is so dated. Jimmy was not around, and BC had to make the record mostly alone. The synth and drum loop stuff just sounds SOOOO mid-90's. However, I think Billy was still in a very fertile creative place and the songwriting is really strong.

I saw them on the Zeitgeist tour and the stuff they played from Adore was awesome. Way better than the album versions.

For that matter, Machina and Zwan are both really good albums.
Machina II has some real gems on it too. White Spyder, Cash Car Star, Saturnine, Speed Kills

deeohgee

If respect for the artist I love the most had been maintained in this forum, I would have had no problem recognizing that The Smiths was more influential, in fact I even think so. Among other things they were born 8 years earlier!

The problem is that from the beginning I have been ridiculed for my simple "excessive" love for a band and an artist who is no longer, and who influenced my life since I was born. That band, moreover, has been underestimated many times, even mistreated.

Until these grievances are corrected, my attitude will be defensive and not cordial with those who have committed such injustices.

“These grievances” are all highly subjective. At what stage do think they will be sufficiently remedied?

360MG

The soma solo is my all time favourite solo, the tone, the technique, the passion and energy, it’s just utterly perfect. And despite attempting it many times and being able to play countless Metallica, Slayer, etc, solos, I can never play it the way he does. Quite an exceptional guitarist imo
I've posted before about how my complaints with the Pumpkins, but you're absolutely right. Siamese Dream is a fantastic album.

Last edited:

MrTAteMyBalls

If I opened a thread about tham It would only receive disparagements

Maybe so, but then at least we get to choose whether or not to participate in Cranberries discussion. When you take over every thread that I find interesting, I am forced to read this crap over and over. I didnt click here for 15 pages of Cranberries vs the smiths or Cranberries vs smashing pumpkins. I came here to hopefully see some old footage of MY FAVORITE band. Not hear about your favorite band. You are making the sound hound lounge a pretty miserable place.

RanaldoNecro

Silver Supporting Member
Evilash,

If you listen to the Smashing Pumpkast on Spotify they go through six hours of Machina 2 talk. The re-issue is being held up just like everything else at the moment because of supply chain issues.

Exiled_On_Main_St

Holy crap!!! that made me want to jump right out of my chair!!

I really wish I could have seen them back then. Billy had no idea how to sing properly, but its really not important haha.

Well I guess he's a vocalist, not a singer. On the record he sounds great but in regards to singing live he was quite energetic and I guess the performance was more important than the actual execution of it. You're right, it's not that important.

EvilAsh

Evilash,

If you listen to the Smashing Pumpkast on Spotify they go through six hours of Machina 2 talk. The re-issue is being held up just like everything else at the moment because of supply chain issues.
Oh flip that would be excellent, I still have my old bootleg copy of MII (my internet wasn’t fast enough to download it at the time they released all the MP3s for free), some of the songs have never been released in any of the streaming platforms.

guitartango

@Adolf

The Smiths first appeared on a UK Tv series called Top of the Pops in 1983, the charts at the time consisted of acts such as Wham, Culture Club, Elton John, Spandau Ballet, mainstream acts !. Just imagine tuning in on a Thursday night to see a new act, sounding like no one else? The singer looks like James Dean, the guitarist looking like a Beatle (with Red Rickenbacker), and that Riff of "This Charming Man".

Critics have called them one of the most important bands to emerge from the British independent music scene of the 1980s and I agree. You cannot compare The Cranberries to the Smiths, two totally different bands.

The Smiths 1982-1987

Trending Topics

Top Bottom