Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

@Adolf

You cannot compare The Cranberries to the Smiths, two totally different bands.
Correctamundo.

Option A: "In your head, in your head, zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie."

Option B: "Why pamper life's complexity when the leather runs smooth on the passenger's seat?"

You cannot compare these. Option A may be catchy, but Option B is genius.

Adolf

Maybe so, but then at least we get to choose whether or not to participate in Cranberries discussion. When you take over every thread that I find interesting, I am forced to read this crap over and over. I didnt click here for 15 pages of Cranberries vs the smiths or Cranberries vs smashing pumpkins. I came here to hopefully see some old footage of MY FAVORITE band. Not hear about your favorite band. You are making the sound hound lounge a pretty miserable place.
I don't mind that

360MG

@Adolf
You cannot compare The Cranberries to the Smiths, two totally different bands.
Apparently you can.

Over and over and over

Over and over and over

Over and over and over

again.

1643374069852.png

flume

Double Platinum Member
I said you were making this place miserable and you said "I don't mind that."

In English, "I don't mind that" means that you are OK with that. So, you said you are OK with making this place miserable for the rest of us.

I know English is your second language, so maybe it isn't what you meant to say. But you literally responded that you don't mind it....so?????? What am I to understand differently?
In this construct, one wonders if this could get on the radar of The Moderators. Affirming a sociopathic intention in this community seems worth a yellow card, no?

jdel77

In terms of commercial impact, The Cranberries strike down The Smiths, but that has an explanation, and that is that in the 80s the major record companies had not yet entered the alternative scene. The Smiths was jangle-pop with hints of post-punk and indie-pop, and the 5 years they were together were always in an independent discography, which was unable to commercially exploit their success on the Manchester scene. That's why The Smiths and Morrissey together have sold 7M copies and The Cranberries 50M.

If you mean another type of impact, much more diffuse, I can agree. The Cranberries were from a city of 70,000 people in 1991, while Manchester had more than 2 million. It is normal to have the feeling that The Smiths was bigger for a person who lived through that scene, and the fight with The Cure.

It is true that Marr is a major influence for Hogan, it is true that Marr has more name, but The Smiths only lasted 5 years while The Cranberries lasted practically 30.

The first EP to be released on vinyl by The Cranberries is Uncertain, in 1991, and the last touring album The Cranberries releases before their first split is in 1996. 5 years. The same time The Smiths were together, and they never parted again. However The Cranberries were able to return in 1998 and release Bury The Hatchet in 1999, something The Smiths were not able to do.

The idea that The Smiths were much more important than The Cranberries is only supported by the romanticism of thinking that the original band is always better, supported by the fact that Manchester was much bigger than Limerick. In addition, the British press also had a huge influence on this fact.

I am convinced that Dolores will be remembered in 50, 60, 70, 100 years, while Morrissey will only be remembered for the next 10-15 years.

Dude this thread was about the Pumpkins. No one cares about your obsession about that other band. Farout, it’s beyond cringe now. Get some help.

Last edited:

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't understand why the Foo Fighters are in the RRHOF and the Pumpkins aren't. A lot of the Pumpkin's work is uneven, and not for me, but they had a hell of a run and agree that Billy seems very bright.
I don't know why the Foo Fighters are in the Hall. There are numerous other bands that were both more influential and sold more records.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I think Adolf is either a trolling alt or possibly someone on the autism spectrum, and I say the latter with respectful and non-disparaging intent. The level of singular obsession with a certain topic and difficulty with social cues suggests it as a possibility.

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
You should learn manners from rock legends like Dave Davies;

You obviously don't know Dave Davies reputation...or the issues he and his brother have had getting along over the years. You really need to watch that "let me Google and find anything to try to push my agenda" method of posting.

Algebraist

I think Adolf is either a trolling alt or possibly someone on the autism spectrum, and I say the latter with respectful and non-disparaging intent. The level of singular obsession with a certain topic and difficulty with social cues suggests it as a possibility.

I agree on both points.
I think it is an alt, I have noticed that the level of 'English is my second language' varies drastically, some of that could be due to lifting tracts of text from other fora and pasting them here as their own posts, but some of their 'off the cuff' quick responses contain collocations that indicate perfect advanced level English, compared to some of their other posts where their English is less good, it's very fishy.
The name itself.. initially I thought maybe they were Argentinian as I seem to recall that name is somewhat common there, but in the context of the relentless trolling and disruption I now think the name is also solely provocative. Also, if it is their father's name minus a letter then why not use the full spelling? Again, fishy.
Why are they doing this? I assume they want attention, they want to watch Rome burn, and they want to create conflict that causes others who react to them to receive moderation and/or bans.
I understand fully that Admin and Mods want a certain degree of low level controversy on here as that drives engagement, if we all just sat around nodding and agreeing then the forum would not have the same level of vitality as it does when we discuss our different views, but I feel that this user is being afforded too much opportunity to wreck threads, it's not going to end well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom