Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

Raimond

Bingo! And followed closely by that Riffmaster kid who jumps in to defend him at every turn.

At least it appears that everyone else here sees that. I doubt he has much time left here. At least as "Adolf", anyway.
Kid? I’m 25, hardly a kid! Ok maybe a kid at heart, but c’mon, I defend him because I don’t think anyone should be alone, maybe This place is his only outlet? Idk, I just try to be empathetic to what he may be going through, I feel that the world would be a better place if everyone just practiced a little more empathy, but hey maybe that’s just the optimistic in me and I prefer to see past peoples fault and try to see them for who they are even with all their faults, but idk maybe that’s just me.

Cal Walker

I agree on both points.
I think it is an alt, I have noticed that the level of 'English is my second language' varies drastically, some of that could be due to lifting tracts of text from other fora and pasting them here as their own posts, but some of their 'off the cuff' quick responses contain collocations that indicate perfect advanced level English, compared to some of their other posts where their English is less good, it's very fishy.
The name itself.. initially I thought maybe they were Argentinian as I seem to recall that name is somewhat common there, but in the context of the relentless trolling and disruption I now think the name is also solely provocative. Also, if it is their father's name minus a letter then why not use the full spelling? Again, fishy.
Why are they doing this? I assume they want attention, they want to watch Rome burn, and they want to create conflict that causes others who react to them to receive moderation and/or bans.
I understand fully that Admin and Mods want a certain degree of low level controversy on here as that drives engagement, if we all just sat around nodding and agreeing then the forum would not have the same level of vitality as it does when we discuss our different views, but I feel that this user is being afforded too much opportunity to wreck threads, it's not going to end well.
This is all 100% correct.

Morticia

Correctamundo.

Option A: "In your head, in your head, zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie."

Option B: "Why pamper life's complexity when the leather runs smooth on the passenger's seat?"

You cannot compare these. Option A may be catchy, but Option B is genius.

Option A - simplistic chorus hook extract leaving out the rest of one of the most intense and most played songs ever.

Option B - pretentious drivel from a daffodil-slaughtering narcissist. Daffodils also have feelings.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I have noticed that the level of 'English is my second language' varies drastically, some of that could be due to lifting tracts of text from other fora and pasting them here as their own posts, but some of their 'off the cuff' quick responses contain collocations that indicate perfect advanced level English, compared to some of their other posts where their English is less good, it's very fishy.

Do they? I haven't noticed that--not that I've necessarily caught or read every post of his; I likely have missed some. Do you have examples?

Raimond

...I think they are making fun of you.
Oh because that’s better! Yeh unfortunately I think that’s what’s going on and it’s disturbing to me that people are doing this, if he bothers people so much then maybe just hit the ignore button or don’t engage, there’s no reason to make fun of the guy, he’s a person who has feelings and doesn’t deserve to be attacked just because he thinks and feels different, ok so maybe I’m projecting some of my own experiences into this but I’ve been where Adolf has and it’s not fun, please can we all just practice a little more empathy?

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I have noticed exactly that. I even mentioned it in a previous post. Not going to go back and dig any of it up though.

The guy is an alt and a troll. Period. Believe what you will.

I don't feel the need to believe anything on this one way or another. It's the decisiveness and ostensible linguistic forensics that interest me.

shoule79

If you really believe that from 2000 The Cranberries their cultural relevance ended, you have a serious perception problem. Bury The Hatchet was in the Top 50 sales in Spain until 2002, and those songs were the ones I grew up with since my generation is Linkin Park and NuMetal.

That's why I always loved The Cranberries, because they were an old school band that had a unique identity. Without a doubt, the band of my life.

Finding out how big they were in the 90s was incredible, until 2005 I hadn't had the opportunity to listen to the albums before Bury The Hatchet, I was 14 years old.
That impact that Morrissey and The Smiths had on the adolescence or youth of many people was as great as what it caused me to discover The Cranberries, 10 years after their peak.

Everything that has been mentioned about the feelings that fans of The Smiths felt is exactly what I felt in 2005 when I definitely discovered the band.

Finally, I am tired of reading in this forum that music is not a competition. Why do you compare The Cranberries with The Velvet Underground? Lou Reed would be older even than Dolores's mother, THEY ARE DIFFERENT GENERATIONS.
You have nostalgia for a time you didn't live through. I was a teen/young adult in the 90s when the Cranberries were in their heyday. They were a big band, not Nirvana, Green Day, STP, Oasis, or Soundgarden big, but big none the less. Probably on par with Everclear, Garbage, or Weezer at the time. Zombie and Salvation got played to death on the radio, other, much better songs unfortunately didn't.

Top 50 in Spain in 02 does not make them culturally relevant outside of Spain. The album Twice Removed by Sloan was on the Canadian charts for ages in Canada in the 90's, probably into the 00's, voted best album by a Canadian artist ever by the countries version of NME, they toured the world, had songs placed in movies, but even though I like it, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it was relevant past the mid to late 90's, or outside of Canada and some spots in the US, based on performance in a secondary market.

How you feel about the Cranberries is personal to you. All well and good, just realize that others do not need to feel the same as you. Their opinions do not validate yours. What people take offence to is constantly pushing them on others and putting down other artists that in your opinion are not as good.

I never compared the Cranberries to VU, there is no comparison there in terms of impact and influence. I compared them to acts like Alanis Morrissette and Garbage who were the same generation. The Smiths and Cranberries began a decade apart. I did compare the Smiths to VU, because they do have a similar level of lasting influence in the music world as a whole.

In reading here, keep in mind that if English isn't your first language, you may be missing some nuance in the language and communication styles. Lots of the feedback you are receiving is coming from how you present your arguments, and interpret them from others. I speak some french, but when i'm talking to a francophone I don't blame them when I am unable to articulate.

freqhaus

Kid? I’m 25, hardly a kid! Ok maybe a kid at heart, but c’mon, I defend him because I don’t think anyone should be alone, maybe This place is his only outlet? Idk, I just try to be empathetic to what he may be going through, I feel that the world would be a better place if everyone just practiced a little more empathy, but hey maybe that’s just the optimistic in me and I prefer to see past peoples fault and try to see them for who they are even with all their faults, but idk maybe that’s just me.

Heh, 25. Sorry, you're still a kid (dependent upon your level of life experience, of course). As to your 'empathy' towards an OBVIOUS TROLL or OBVIOUS BORDERLINE AUTISTIC (if the case, I'm a 1000 percent empathic towards) who just 'has to let it linger', I agree that we should show more empathy towards our brethren/sistren/they'rin. What you say means well and I'm all for.

However, to defend a person who clearly has issues and desperately wants attention directed towards themselves AND they're creamy dreamy cranberries, is without merit and does nothing more than insults all of our intelligences. So, as I've said previously with as much smart empathy as one can muster, get off the Hitler-berries train will ya....

Last edited:
Option A - simplistic chorus hook extract leaving out the rest of one of the most intense and most played songs ever.

Option B - pretentious drivel from a daffodil-slaughtering narcissist. Daffodils also have feelings.

Option A: yeah, late to the party. U2 have been there, owned it, packed-up and left. In fact, the t-shirt is so old it’s decomposed.

Option B: So original that original doesn’t even begin to describe it. Precious few bands have captured the mood of a generation like this.

Raimond

OBVIOUS BORDERLINE AUTISTIC wh
If he’s a troll than yeh I agree, but based on my interactions with him I honestly don’t get a troll vibe, Assuming the above is the case, which I have a feeling it is because, I’ve been told I exhibit many traits, shouldn’t we at least cut him Some slack? Im assuming if that is the case then he might not be driving the proper therapy which could help, (trust me on that from
Personal experience) I mean feel how your gonna feel, but maybe that is why I feel
The need to defend him, he reminds me
Of Myself, luckily I’ve been fortunate to have people work with me to help me appear more normal. Or at least understand some of the rules of normalcy. Idk, maybe I’m Way off bass here just my 2 cents.

Raimond

C'mon, man.
You said they? As in multiple people, or at least that’s how I’ve interpreted it. Adolf’s preferred pronouns are he/him. So I’m assuming that’s who your talking about and why I’m confused as to the use of they.

Morticia

You said they? As in multiple people, or at least that’s how I’ve interpreted it. Adolf’s preferred pronouns are he/him. So I’m assuming that’s who your talking about and why I’m confused as to the use of they.

"They" is the modern politically-correct gender-neutral third-person pronoun I believe.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom