Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

Shadoof

What was used on Mellon collie?
From what I understand, a lot of stuff. I recall Billy saying in an interview that they tore down the guitar rigs and built back up from scratch for every song to give each track a unique sound. That sounds like hyperbole, but then again there really is no one "guitar sound" on that album like there arguably is for Siamese Dream...the guitars on Here Is No Why sound completely different than Tales of a Scorched Earth which sound completely different than Love, etc, etc.

Siamese Dream had a big budget but I think Mellon Collie was really the point where Billy basically had free roam to indulge himself on whatever he wanted to try so instead of using what they had they were buying or renting whatever. Off the top of my head I recall reading that Tonight, Tonight was an ES-335, Where Boys Fear to Tread was a Les Paul Jr. and there's a Fender Blender somewhere in Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

Spfc.org has an incredible amount of information about the Pumpkins (especially the 90's era but they have kept it fairly well updated to this day) if you ever want to go down that rabbit hole.

From what I understand, a lot of stuff. I recall Billy saying in an interview that they tore down the guitar rigs and built back up from scratch for every song to give each track a unique sound. That sounds like hyperbole, but then again there really is no one "guitar sound" on that album like there arguably is for Siamese Dream...the guitars on Here Is No Why sound completely different than Tales of a Scorched Earth which sound completely different than Love, etc, etc.

Siamese Dream had a big budget but I think Mellon Collie was really the point where Billy basically had free roam to indulge himself on whatever he wanted to try so instead of using what they had they were buying or renting whatever. Off the top of my head I recall reading that Tonight, Tonight was an ES-335, Where Boys Fear to Tread was a Les Paul Jr. and there's a Fender Blender somewhere in Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

Spfc.org has an incredible amount of information about the Pumpkins (especially the 90's era but they have kept it fairly well updated to this day) if you ever want to go down that rabbit hole.

When I learned that BC himself couldn’t make the Big Muff work live himself I stopped trying (that changed in the early noughties when I learned how to stack dirt and use EQ pedals).

I do think the essence of his sound is his technique and feel, no matter what he is playing through. I was surprised to se a clip of him playing a Jag yet he sounded unequivocally like himself.

I also think that the Siamese Dream sound is so well-defined and iconic that mimicking it without coming across as a copycat is very difficult. I suspect even he knew that and decided to move on.

Fun fact: in the Rockontours podcast he claimed that Butch Vig (who had already worked with him in Gish) totally lifted his guitar parts layering technique for Nirvana’s Nevermind. I don’t feel entirely inclined to dismiss the claim.

Ry@n

I also like Adore. BUT it is hard to listen to because the production is so dated. Jimmy was not around, and BC had to make the record mostly alone. The synth and drum loop stuff just sounds SOOOO mid-90's. However, I think Billy was still in a very fertile creative place and the songwriting is really strong.

I saw them on the Zeitgeist tour and the stuff they played from Adore was awesome. Way better than the album versions.

For that matter, Machina and Zwan are both really good albums.
I just don’t have a problem with production that sounds dated. The album was made when it was made. It sounds like when it was made. I actually kind of like that in a lot of cases. I don’t need to pretend all the music I enjoy was recorded last week, so I have never understood the “dated” criticism of any record.

Raimond

I just don’t have a problem with production that sounds dated. The album was made when it was made. It sounds like when it was made. I actually kind of like that in a lot of cases. I don’t need to pretend all the music I enjoy was recorded last week, so I have never understood the “dated” criticism of any record.
Exactly it serves as a snapshot of the time frame in which it was recorded, I agree for me it’s about how well the songs hold up, irregardless of production, a great song is a great song even if it sounds “dated”.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom