SMF (Sonic Machine Factory) amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lost_Cause, May 27, 2013.

1. Brock

Brock Member

Old thread I know but I have one of the last ones made. This one sounded really great but had a popping noise I wasn't sure about. Sad thing was I took it and an Octa-switch in on a trade for a replica I made. I was a little disappointed about the popping noise. The guy who traded me was a stand up guy and said he'd make it right for me if I wanted to trade back. But I didn't want to trade back, I liked the amp except for the popping. I had an old set of Mullards sitting around and changed the power tubes with them and BAM!!! The amp came alive. It went from an amp I liked to an amp I love. Everyone who's heard it lately has been very impress with it I've had a few offers to buy it from me. Its the best trade I've done besides my Bogner Duende head. I like both equally, just for different reasons.

2. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Member

It's one of the little known grail amps. Just wonderful

Brock likes this.
  3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Update and clarification/ correction .... I was looking through my amp records for something else and realized the amp I was thinking about some years ago back was NOT a SMF amp, it was another amp with "Sonic" in the name and in my addled age I "misremembered."

Too many amps through the door over the years, I should look at the list and confirm. My apologies to SMF, no one should take any negative inference from my now deleted post (still quoted -- Brock, please feel free to delete your posts quoting and referring to it & we can wipe it entirely).:(:confused:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    supersonic1414 likes this.
  4. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Hi Brock. I am John's friend. You have my old SMF amp. You also have my old shrek guitar. A very nice amp and guitar combination. I believe I put those power tubes in when I got it and played the crap out of it and John did as well so after shipping it out to you who knows the state of them by the time it got to you. I am glad that the amp came alive for you. Best amp I have ever owned by far (especially considering what I paid for it).

5. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

So sorry that I missed your post. If you still have the amp please let me know. I will be happy to talk to you about the tubes if you have not already figured it out.

6. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Member

Classy post Jon. There definitely is another Sonic Machine amp or something...I was shocked with that post as my SMF is impeccably built, and I own/have owned Matchless, Bad Cat, STAR, etc

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I have an early Bad Cat Cub 15R full of components labeled "Matchless" so I know what you mean.