Smokin' cleans for <$1500 or so?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAD, Aug 26, 2008.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I have a Peavey JSX. I bought it for it's "versatility". IMO it had nice cleans, nice "ultra" distortion, and icky crunch. Sadly I find myself questing for crunch and rarely if ever using the ultra. I used to play a lot of 80' metal and though I'd use it more, but I guess I've mellowed with age. :)

Thus I find myself using the clean channel almost exclusively, usually using pedals for crunch. Seems kinda dumb to have a huge expensive 3-channel amp when I'm only using one channel.

So I'm thinking about looking for another amp. I'd like killer clean tone. Crunch is a plus, but not a necessity since I like my OD pedals (Zen and TS808 RI TV). Still, an amp that makes me want to sell my pedals is VERY welcome. :)

My main guitar these days is my Fender Am Deluxe strat. I'm diggin' the John Mayer, SRV sound a lot these days.

Are the Mesa Lonestars any good?
    I saw a Mesa Mark I reissue on Craigslist that looked pretty sweet. Yes/no?
    Should I just go boutique? Something like a Beaufort?
    Better options?

I don't really need high power, but I like the option.

Thanks,

GAD

2. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

I think most all the TopHats have a great clean tone.... and they are an absolute bargain used. Somebody has a Super Deluxe in the forum for $1,200. Great amps...

3. Sam Cannon

Sam Cannon Member

I know where you are coming from, I mostly play two rocks and once in a while I want a very clean canvas to paint on. I usually go to a Metro
    JTM45 that I built. Believe it or not the 45 is a very clean amplifier, it is a pedal slut and you can dial up a lot of great tones with the pedals. Another trick I use is throwing in an EV Classic speaker to add some sonic dynamics. Very cool...................

Any Marshall or clone 45 will work if they use great parts and are hand wired. There are some hobyists out there that do great builds, keep an eye open for them on tgp. Or, Blockhead, Germino, Clark....etc. Good luck.

4. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Cleans? Fender Dual Professional, CS.

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

How about a Gries 18 or a 20? They are in your price range and have a great clean and crunch a bit when pushed hard. Then for less money maybe a Fender DRRI? Either should get you to where you desire to go musically.

6. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

If you still wanna rock and have a sweet lead tone, a spankin clean amp will probably leave you flat. Most pedals like to see some breakup from the amp, the amp has to work too.

You'd do well to try a Victoria Bassman copy. 4x10. Great clean tone, but its got that old school raunch to it when you hit it hard. The Top Hats are excellent as well. This style of amp will allow you to walk the line between clean and dirty. That's where I live as well.

7. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

+1 Only difference I would recommend finding a used Ambassador 35
    Great clean tones and the best platform for pedals I have ever
    heard......plus on the 35 if you push it you can get that edge of
    breakup thats great.

8. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Look at the Dr. Z EGZ-50 head if you like Fender blackface kind of cleans, lots of headroom and a really nice reverb.

9. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

The Lonestar would be a great choice...killer clean with incredible reverb. My brother owns one and the cleans on it floor me every time.

10. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

+1 Lone Star

+1 JTM45

+100 Dr.Z -just about anything.

11. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Definitely check out the Dr. Z EZG-50!

12. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

Save some cash and grab an old carvin x-100b head. The distortion is contested often, but mods come easy to that channel. Nonetheless, one of the best cleans and takes pedals just fine.

13. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

+on the Lonestar Classic. The cleans rival a Twin Reverb, and the OD channel is great too with many options. You can run almost any power tube you want, and you have 6 different power configurations if you want them. If you want just one channel with killer cleans why not a TRRI? This would put you under your price point of $1500, as the Lonestar is about 2K new.

14. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

15. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member