* Smokin' Original 1960 Blonde Gibson ES-330 from OK Guitars *

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by sgt_steiner, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. screamingduck

screamingduck Gold Supporting Member

A true thing of beauty indeed, I absolutely love this guitar and know you will treat this her with much love and TLC!
    The website is fantastic: http://www.es-335.org/2017/08/16/upside-down-market
    Perhaps Santa Claus will have enough room in his sleigh this year for a blonde 330 or 335 with my name on it! :wave

2. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Thats my old ES 330 TDN. I sold it to Charle glad you dig it. I've had the guitar for 20 plus years and it was a great guitar however I never got comfortable w/ the thin neck.. Gigged the guitar a bunch in the early 90's and the guitar just sat in the case. I sold the guitar to a good friend then I bought it back and now you own it. Enjoy brother.. Here is a photo of her with my 60 Gibson explorer amp..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. buzzp

buzzp Member

That's one of the most beautiful guitars that I've ever seen. Gawdam.

4. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Supporting Member

Hey @rockinrobby - glad you posted! It's always great to learn the history behind vintage axes. Love to hear about how you found her to begin with.

Yeah, the neck is very thin, thinner than both my '61 330 and '61 LP/SG. In fact, it may be the thinnest Gibson neck I've ever played :) That said, it feels totally RIGHT for me personally with this guitar. Being super lightweight, with this fast neck and P90s packing a surprisingly righteous punch is simply an awesome combination. She's as comfortable and natural feeling in your hands as a guitar gets IMHO.

I can totally understand why she wouldn't be the optimum gigging guitar for many, but for home playing and jamming with friends she's hard to beat. Through my DeArmond R15T or '62 Brown Super with a vintage TS-808 to gain her up for solos the tone is so woody and searing and sweet -- so P90 perfect -- that I can even see on my buddy's faces they're hearing the same thing I am. These guitars offer a very specific vintage tone nirvana for those who love their Gibsons with single coils.

Then, of course, there are her looks, which are ridiculously easy to get lost in. But hey, having owned her for two decades I know you understand exactly what I'm talking about in that dept. :)

Rest assured, my friend, she went to great new home. L.A. legend Norik Renson is refretting her with something a little taller as we speak :)

5. charliechitlins

charliechitlins Member

OK...you made me do it.
    My original 68/69 longneck is now sporting black covers.
    I always thought the chrome ones were too blingy.
    Now they're in the case pocket with the nylon saddles.

ripgtr likes this.
  6. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Whoa!! Gorgeous, congratulations!! Quick favor to ask you: can you post some close ups of the f-holes? Curious as to whether they are finished or not, or even painted. I just got a reissue 335 and would like to compare... thanks!!

7. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that is beautiful. I have had a few 330s over the years. One of these days, I need to pick up a 59/60 or 61 in Cherry with a Bigsby. Charlie is great to deal with. It took me a few years, but I finally bought the perfect (for me) '59 ES-345 from him. It is amazing!

8. rockinrobby

The F Holes are not painted..

Bossanova likes this.
  9. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely stunning....congrats! I live nearby and stop in at OK every opportunity I get. Charlie is a great guy and always has some awesome pieces...this one is certainly no exception. Incredible.

10. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

My wife calls it "playable art." ;)

11. sgt_steiner

Just wanted to give a quick update - the legendary Norik Renson in L.A. performed a spectacular refret on this 330 and it's like having TWICE the guitar now. Thanks Norik! You're simply are the best!

12. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

Awesome to hear! What kind of frets did you end up putting in there? My '60 330 is currently getting new frets as well.

13. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Coming back again to look at this beauty, so nice of a guitar!
    Glad to read that you had it refretted and that is now even a better player.
    I still have the woody tone & touch of my old 330 saved in a part of my brain, unique indeed.

14. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

15. rockinrobby

Good to hear, Did he also grow some wood on the neck?? Lol!! :eek:

16. Dumb Bell

Dumb Bell Member

Wow, i 've played a couple of these, should of bought the near mint one for peanuts 30 years back. My fave Gibsons sport P90's.

17. sgt_steiner

@rockinrobby -- You aren't having Seller's Remorse, are you? :)

@howthewestwas1 -- Norik used a new fret wire -- 95 in width, 55 height. I believe he had it custom made. Feels and plays great!

18. rockinrobby

To answer your first YES!!! But after I play it No.. I should of just kept it and put it in a Glass case and just looked at it .. However it's being used and that what the guitar was made for enjoy !!

19. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

Very cool! I recently had my '56 LP special refretted with a 6105 equivalent (90x55ish, so very close to yours) and love it. Having the same frets going in my 330. Can't wait! Congrats again!!!

20. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

You’ve a smart man , what you say is true it is so much better to get a great guitar into the hands of someone than sit around not being played.
    I also would like to publicly thank Charlie . I own an incredible Gibson 1983 Dot Reissue Blonde because of his blog. Charlie has also been very generous with knowledge and advice in email correspondence , saving me from buying a couple of questionable 335’s a couple of times .
    Thanks Charlie

sgt_steiner likes this.