* Smokin' Original 1960 Blonde Gibson ES-330 from OK Guitars *

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by sgt_steiner, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

Great guitar. I scored an original '59 ES330 this year, single pickup model, desert island guitar for sure.

2. Oatie

Oatie Member

Wow Sgt. I missed this one. You got very lucky on this beauty. How has the guitar been since you got it?

3. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Supporting Member

@Oatie - Thanks, my friend. Yeah, she's quite a guitar. The neck is on the thinner side, which doesn't bother me at all being a life-long '61 LP/SG player, and the refret has really brought out her liveliness both acoustically and electrically. The neck pickup with some overdrive is outstanding. Blues player Rick Holmstrom has been over a couple times to have a play and some of the tones he's been getting through my '60 DeArmond R15T are simply divine. Rick prefers a bigger neck, but this baby sounds so sweet he really hasn't been complaining much. Lol.

4. Mike Weiss

Mike Weiss Member

Very nice looking 330! My 67 ES330TD also needs a re-frett, do you have any wisdom to share about the process?...Mike

5. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Check this out > it's got a lot BS with Frank Stallone JB etc !! However the guitar is amazing!!!

6. sgt_steiner

@Mike Weiss - pretty simple, really. Find out the very best guys in your area and go to one of them. If you have a general idea of what frets you want, that's great. If not, the quality guys will be happy to figure it out with you. A good refret can really bring an older guitar back to life! Have fun :)

7. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I totally agree.. Propaganda!! :rolleyes:

8. sgt_steiner

Would've been nice to actually hear the guitar instead of Frank Stallone. Oh well...

9. Mike Weiss

Mike Weiss Member

Tanks Sarge, I got a price from gibson repair in Nashville, they want $650. plus shipping costs from minnesota. I hate to spend that much since I do have plenty of guitars to play but I hate to see this classic just hang on a hook...Mike

10. 56Tweed

56Tweed Member

That is a lot of money. Refrets are pretty common and any good tech can do it. Prices can vary based on supply/demand in your area, but that is about twice what you should expect to pay. I had my '65 refretted a few years ago and it made a world of differences having healthy frets again. Plays like butter and sounds like angels now. The tech I used covers all types of guitars, but there are plenty of vintage pieces that go through his shop. I've been in there and seen plenty of '50s and '60s pieces. Check references, but most areas have techs that you can trust.

11. sgt_steiner

Mike - Maybe give Elderly Instruments a shout? They're in Michigan. I'd expect they might know a top flight guy somewhere close by you? Or will perhaps do it cheaper?

12. Mike Weiss

Mike Weiss Member

I spoke with Charly Hoffman in Minneapolis, he's a well known guitar builder around these parts. he said start by bringing it in for a look see, go from there. His re-fret on a bound neck is around 400. Maybe I just need a re-crown...