Smoky Signal Tubeless OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, May 24, 2008.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

since the last thread got nuked I havn't heard much about this pedal...I just got mine and after a preliminary session I am suitably impressed...with a Les Paul into my Fargen Dual Classic so far I like the high gain tones better than my MO'D...lower gain goes to the MO'D...

can anyone tell me what the knob on the side does?

hopefully this will be a thread for those that have received their pedals and want to talk about it or for those that have questions...I would like to hear about likes and dislikes and how they are using it and not about how much it costs and the usual crap that follows certain threads...if it ends up with the usual crap I will nuke this thread real quick...

Chow,
    Seegs

PRSAtomic likes this.
  2. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

seegs, during the last the thread everybody was discussing about the plain false statements and claims the first poster made. It was NOT about the pedal! Just to get things straight!

Anyways I'm still curious! So it does high gain?! Better than the MoD (because I really liked the sounds I heard from that unit)?! I really want to hear this pedal! My Zen defintely needs a higher gain compainion - gainy but sophisticated... can the smoky do that?!

Later, Lu

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

yeah Lu it can...there is a knob on the side (not exactly sure what it does yet) and that when used with the tone control can dial in either very Smoky or articulate lead tones which are just dripping with harmonics...very easy pedal to dial in...

it does however...lean towards the smoother side of things...the MO'D tended to get fuzzier and a bit inarticulate at higher gain settings...I'm not much of a high gain player and I tend to use my MO'D with gain set at 9oc for hums and 10-11 for single coils but I am really liking the Tubeless for higher gain because even at max gain you never lose articulation...

if you're near Frankfurt give me a shout and you can come on over and give it a spin...

Chow,
    Seegs

4. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Hi Seegs,
    I'm located in W├╝rzburg, so it's probalby not gonna happen too soon...
    (the germans *really* should have a gearfest !!!)
    Still, it would be a cool thing to do! I looked at your sig, you have much more stuff than I do so the only thing for you to check out is my ethos, and my blues saraceno dirty boy fuzzy boy... thats all I could contribute I think...

Back on topic: Does the Smokey work with both Hums and SCs equally or does it have preferences regarding pus...?!

later, lu

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

Lu so far I feel that it prefers hums (burstbuckers in my R8) but I didn't have much time with it yet...I'll try to dial it in with a strat and tele (Lollar low power pups) and a 335 (Wolfetone Dr. Vintage) pups tomorrow if the wife lets me:rotflmao

Chow,
    Seegs

6. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I am glad to hear that you like the pedal. The knob on the side is for the "harmonic content" of the amp that you are using. For a SS amp, for example, you'd want the knob to go all the way up - either counter clock or clockwise, I forget - but play with it and try to match it to YOUR AMP's "charcter" as best as you can.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hi Eddie thanx...I notice when I turn the knob all the way CCW (towards the top of the pedal) that I get more articulation (highs) and way more harmonic content...chords sound beautiful and rich...this seemed well suited for humbuckers with my amp which tends to be warm and can be bass heavy...

it seems very interactive with the tone knob (usable throughout its range) and also the gain knob...turning the knob CW brought on a duller tone which was seemed to compliment my brighter single coil pups very nicely...now that I know what it does I will experiment a bit more with it...

what I really like about this pedal is that even at max gain I get incredible articulation and it just feels alive...harmonics are just bursting out of my amp...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Mine arrived late last week (thanks Eddie!!!! :BEER ), but I have been on the road for business, all week.

I spent 10 minutes with it and was impressed and will have time in the next 2 days.

More to report.

9. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Very well. I am glad to hear that you guys appreciate the pedal as much as I do and not just blowing smoke. You probably received the EL34 version which suits/complements 'buckers very nicely. Enjoy and keep the reports coming! :BEER

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have no idea which version I have...Taku just asked me what guitars and pickups I play and I told him strats and teles with Lollars and a 335 with Wolfetones...the R8 with Burstbuckers is a new addition...

I have a good feeling that I can tweak the harmonic control and get some nice tones from my tele and strat as well..

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Jamster

Jamster Supporting Member

Where do they sell this?

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

after some more time with the Tubeless and a strat and tele loaded with Lollars I was able to dial in excellent tones with single coils...

the knobs are pretty interactive and the harmonic content knob seems like the key...

looks simple but there are a lot of tones in this box...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. eddie101

eddie101 Member

The guy is, IMO, one of the best guitar builders out there - if not the best - and his attention to detail is simply amazing and that also carried over to his pedals as well. He cut no corners and used nothing but top $$ components that he could find. It is the most versatile pedal that I've owned thus far.

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

well eddie I have no idea what's inside as it all seems to be enclosed in a square rubber hockey puck-like enclosure nor do I care...

this thing is really growing on me...it's fat...fat...fat...fatter than my MO'D and it does it without losing articulation...nor is it congested in the mids like the LD'O...best of all the harmonic content knob lets you dial it in for single coils or hums and also helps me dial in the neck pup to perfection...such a cool feature that I wish more pedals had that...

I think my MO'D is gettin really nervous;)

Chow,
    Seegs

15. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I thought he would do the ol'epoxy trick in there but I guess he came up with something that would protect his investment better. :)

LD'O renders a "compressed" tone which may not be for everyone's liking. It is more for R&R, IMO, but that is just me. My good friend has MO'D and uses it for certain applications but I am all about more clarity and LESS'D. :D

16. Sikor

Sikor Member

Tubeless is definitely nice pedal, thick, "dense" gain. Whole range of gain is usable. Yesterday I fell in love with it from the first sounds :AOK

"Harmonics knob" is great! If only all of the ODs have such a knob :cool:

I would keep both :D

17. mikeSF

mikeSF Member

ah, does this mean the "sheriff" is back in town? ;)

i'm still really enjoying my Tubeless OD pedal.
    so eddie, are you saying one version is voiced for SCs and the other for HBs?? how can one tell? mine is the early version, whichever that is.

i do like the control on the side alot!

nice pedal.

18. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

:roll

What an entertaining thread that was.

19. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have had one for a while, toured with it, used it on some recordings and it is a GREAT pedal.
    The knob on the side really helps you tune the guitar into the amp. I am really happy with this pedal. I use it quite a bit and am loving the tone.

20. eddie101

eddie101 Member

You probably have an EL34 version as Taku just completed his Beta version, IIRC. Is there any writing on the bottom of the pedal? It may have Taku's hand writing on it to specify which. I am glad you like the pedal, btw.