Smooth and Slim

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Yes. They are great! One pedal that does exactly what they say it does.

If you have a fender/mesa or any amp that has flab when you crank it a bit, this thing will do the trick. A++ in my book.

2. Nathan

Nathan Member

I was JUST looking at that the other day. I'd love one but don't need it... :(

3. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

+1

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have a Mesa Mk I, it's a little farty when cranked with the pull gain out.

I'd rather not buy one sight unseen or sound unheard in this case.

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Believe me, the S&S is EXACTLY what you need. It was specifically designed to cure that Mk I fartiness. I had one, the only reason I sold it off was to fund a BJF SBEQ (which can do something similar, but it's 4x the price!) Buy a used one, if it doesn't work out, sell it for what you paid, and you're only out shipping.

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had one and loved it for running humbuckers with my Rivera's on the clean channel - and didn't miss a thing on the gain side.

Works great.

8. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Got a S&S when I had a Deluxe Reverb II. Works completely as advertised. You can't go wrong with this thing.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I agree, although you can get similar results with a Tubescreamer (sucks some of the low end out). I'm not sure how it differs from a straight EQ, the builder told me that it "aligns the frequencies" whatever that means... Anyway, it does what it says at a very reasonable price.

11. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Does it really sound any better than using an EQ pedal to cut bottom end before the amp?

12. KBN

KBN Member

Yes, I believe it is better. Although the S&S cuts bass before the input of the preamp I believe that is an end result of what the box does, not the means by which it works. With the S&S you can turn the bass up on the amp and the bass is no longer flabby. I had one when I had a 1965 Bandmaster.

13. HBob

HBob Member

I tried one with my Boogie MKIV and Hamer Special FM and sent the SS back. It cut the bass too much for me - not just the farty bass. I wound up lowering the pick ups on the Hamer and that wouked just fine.

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

Mine works fine with my Fender DRRI.

15. KBN

KBN Member

Glad it worked out for you.

16. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

anyone use one with a tweed delux and humbuckers?

17. claffman

claffman Member

Absolutely a must for my Mesa. Worth every penny.

18. tjs

tjs Senior Member

How big of a difference does it make? Is it very subtle (another "chasing the last 5%" kind of thing) or is it a major improvement?

Also, does anybody know what this thing actually does? If you run it directly before the input of the amp and are then able to turn up the amp's bass control without the flab returning, then it obviously isn't functioning the same way as the amp's EQ. The difference then would presumably have to be due to one or more of the following:

a) a high pass filter removing frequencies below those primarily affected by the bass knob on the amp,

b) some kind of adjustment to the phase of the signal's low frequency content (I remember reading about a bass amp that did something like that which supposedly resulted in a signal with a similar RMS amplitude to the original but which had a more even series of peaks, thus allowing the signal to be amplified to a greater extent before clipping), and/or

c) a change in the input impedance seen by amp (not sure how this would accomplish the goal of the unit, but I don't know enough to rule it out)

What do you guys think?

19. Sid

Sid Member

does it work with marshalls..or better still...is it needed with marshalls