Smooth Blues, my take and backing track - for the jazzy fusioneer inside you

CarlosEduardo

Member
Messages
215
Smooth Blues is a sort of swing/shuffle fusion with a blues bridge at eight last bars. I initially recorded it as a backing track idea for Add-a-track in Whole Note and encouraged by my friend Jim Heidinger (L5player) then I end playing some theme like lines that I hold becoming in a song finally. After composing I produced it in my home studio room by choosing the "easy way".. I did transcribe chords progression to Band in a Box basic tracks and exported to a midi file in Cubase where finally drums, bass and keyboards were edited/add some piano spices and assigned to quality sampled instruments in order to bring "life" to Band in a Box raw midi tracks.

Instrument/gear info: Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor archtop w/gibson 63 replacement pickup,for recording I like to blend digital amp modeling or Line 6 POD with external amp/microphone recording, I use PreSonus Blue Tube preamp direct to PC/digital modeling and Scarbee Vintage Keyboard FX blended with my external amp Yamaha t100c sound miked with a shure sm87.

Smooth Blues, my take

Smooth Blues backing track

chord scheme guide


I hope this bring fun to you all .. smooth times!


Carlos Eduardo Arellano
http://www.carlosarellano.com/music
 
Last edited:

CarlosEduardo

Member
Messages
215
Originally posted by scottl
Amazing playing my friend! I always LOVE your stuff. I wish I could do that lyrical feel and phrasing you have!

Here is my take from several months ago.....

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/mayclips/CarlosWizard.MP3

Scott

Thank you Scott, meaningful words coming from you mi appreciate amigo ....btw, you are getting me nut last days with your evolutionary playing ...incredible lines and outside stuff that sound elegantly inside! a very hard to get ability.

Carlos
 

journo

Member
Messages
6,844
Hi Carlos,

Thanks both for the excellent and emotional take as well as for the backing track. This is the kind of thing I've been looking for as an inspiration.

Cheers,

Mats N
 

L5player

Member
Messages
180
Hey Carlos,

Here's my less than Bensonish take over this backing! You and Scott tore it up so I thought I'd put up something to contrast all that great playing, my so so take! LOL

Jim's attempt

:)

Jim
 

CarlosEduardo

Member
Messages
215
Originally posted by L5player
Hey Carlos,

Here's my less than Bensonish take over this backing! You and Scott tore it up so I thought I'd put up something to contrast all that great playing, my so so take! LOL

Jim's attempt

:)

Jim
what are you talking about Jim hehe? this sound great, I can feel as you are increasing your soloing skills each day..are you playing live now more than before? sometimes it can be a great motivation ... very good Jim

Carlos

My web site and music
 

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
16,375
Man - that backing's just WAY too happy! ;)

Carlos, checked your clip above and some of your website - your clean toned work is just lovely. Kudos.

I'll admit to my bias of preferring jazz-related music w/ band interplay instead of backing tracks. So, any live clips, bro? Did I miss 'em?

Nice to see you here. Every success.
 

L5player

Member
Messages
180
Originally posted by CarlosEduardo
what are you talking about Jim hehe? this sound great, I can feel as you are increasing your soloing skills each day..are you playing live now more than before? sometimes it can be a great motivation ... very good Jim

Carlos

My web site and music
Playing live is helping a lot! I'm just playing a lot more than I used to that is for sure. I still need to come up with some practice routines to get my skills moving in the right direction. I got Jacks Book which is great but I need to spend time with it!

I recently picked up a Weber Mass attenuator to help me saturate the power tubes in my amp without blowing out the windows. This has created a lot of new opportunities for me sound and technique wise. Just scratching the surface but seems like I'm making a lot of progress. Every day I feel like a beginner! There is just so much to tackle. But that is what keeps it exciting. :)

Jim
 

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
16,375
Originally posted by L5player
...Every day I feel like a beginner! There is just so much to tackle. But that is what keeps it exciting. :)
...and another inspiring post from Mr. Jim! (dug your clip above too) :)
 

L5player

Member
Messages
180
Originally posted by rwe333
...and another inspiring post from Mr. Jim! (dug your clip above too) :)
Thanks for the nice comments in both posts. I appreciate being able to participate here and am humbled by all the fabulous talent that is found in this forum. A great source of study and inspiration for me. :)

Jim
 

Woodyworld

Member
Messages
2,105
Originally posted by L5player
Hey Carlos,

Here's my less than Bensonish take over this backing! You and Scott tore it up so I thought I'd put up something to contrast all that great playing, my so so take! LOL

Jim's attempt

:)

Jim
I take my hat off to you fella. I'm sitting here trembling at the thought of try to get through this comp. You breezed it !

nice one !
 

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
40,318
Originally posted by CarlosEduardo
Smooth Blues is a sort of swing/shuffle fusion with a blues bridge at eight last bars. I initially recorded it as a backing track idea for Add-a-track in Whole Note and encouraged by my friend Jim Heidinger (L5player) then I end playing some theme like lines that I hold becoming in a song finally. After composing I produced it in my home studio room by choosing the "easy way".. I did transcribe chords progression to Band in a Box basic tracks and exported to a midi file in Cubase where finally drums, bass and keyboards were edited/add some piano spices and assigned to quality sampled instruments in order to bring "life" to Band in a Box raw midi tracks.

Instrument/gear info: Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor archtop w/gibson 63 replacement pickup,for recording I like to blend digital amp modeling or Line 6 POD with external amp/microphone recording, I use PreSonus Blue Tube preamp direct to PC/digital modeling and Scarbee Vintage Keyboard FX blended with my external amp Yamaha t100c sound miked with a shure sm87.

Smooth Blues, my take

Smooth Blues backing track

chord scheme guide


I hope this bring fun to you all .. smooth times!


Carlos Eduardo Arellano
http://www.carlosarellano.com/music
Just fantastic playing! SO benson influenced, I LOVE it. Scott sent me to your web site a few months ago, and I have been a fan ever since.....

Scott and L5, Ill listen to your takes tomorrow. I cant wait!
 

CarlosEduardo

Member
Messages
215
Originally posted by journo
Hi Carlos,

Thanks both for the excellent and emotional take as well as for the backing track. This is the kind of thing I've been looking for as an inspiration.

Cheers,

Mats N

Thank you Journo, part of that is my way of retribution for your high quality and inspirational backing tracks. This track is a bit on the robotic side, because I make it using band in a box for give a body to my initial song idea, of course, I use midi tweaking/edition and good samples for improve it, but generally I use to program or record live (or combination of both) for my music stuff, I play piano, then I use live midi input for instrument parts recording. I am looking for a real bass this days since I play bass enough for record in my own way. Thanks again Journo


Carlos

http://www.carlosarellano.com/music
 

CarlosEduardo

Member
Messages
215
Originally posted by rwe333
Man - that backing's just WAY too happy! ;)

Carlos, checked your clip above and some of your website - your clean toned work is just lovely. Kudos.

I'll admit to my bias of preferring jazz-related music w/ band interplay instead of backing tracks. So, any live clips, bro? Did I miss 'em?

Nice to see you here. Every success.

thank you rwe, yes, I have live material ...just I need to transfer it from the original medias , I think post it asap..

Carlos

http://www.carlosarellano.com/music
 

CarlosEduardo

Member
Messages
215
Originally posted by Tag
Just fantastic playing! SO benson influenced, I LOVE it. Scott sent me to your web site a few months ago, and I have been a fan ever since.....

Scott and L5, Ill listen to your takes tomorrow. I cant wait!
Thank you Tag! let me tell you I have followed your comments and opinions in some threads here.. wise and positive ones!, I know you are Benson fan too, GB was one of my former influences, even today I use to sight around looking for some "not so pop" release from him..I think GB is a natural player in a dimension beyond of all.

Carlos

http://www.carlosarellano.com/music
 




Trending Topics

Top