• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Smooth compressor with enhanced low end?

dictio

I have an Xotic SP that I use mainly for fattening up my Tele neck pickup when playing jazz. It makes the pickup a bit more P90 like, a lot fatter in the low end, but I'm not too keen on the "thump" when the pick hits the string. Any suggestions?

sadhudude

Mad Prof Forest Green

doesn’t overtly mess with dynamics just makes everything smooth and fat

SP had too much squish for me

the humble Maxon CP 101 is rather good too but Mad Prof is next level goodness

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
I highly recommend the new Putting Green Compressor by BearFoot FX. It is super-smooth as a compressor, and the Bass and Treble controls offer some nice tweak-ability that might be just what you’re looking for.

This is a pic of one while I had it for a few days during which I was checking out @Don Rusk’s BearFoot FX 2021 Clean Machine Tourbox. You can read my detailed review here.

Last edited:

A.Maiah

I have an Xotic SP that I use mainly for fattening up my Tele neck pickup when playing jazz. It makes the pickup a bit more P90 like, a lot fatter in the low end, but I'm not too keen on the "thump" when the pick hits the string. Any suggestions?
Have you tried the SP at 18 volts? I run mine this way on the low setting and with the mix at noon. It is almost unnoticeable to my ears, but you feel it´s there.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
The Diamond Comp with tone control is pretty great. Not thumpy, extremely quiet, lots of different sounds

The Analogman Comprosser is worth a look as well. LOVE it.
You won’t want the Juicer side of a. biComo.
It THUMPS

CEFlint

Another fan of the Diamond Comp Jr. The tone knob does a nice job of balancing/smoothing highs and lows.

However, have you checked the SP's attack & release dip switches, and the input pad switch? You should find a combination to reduce the "thump".

Trending Topics