Smooth Frog - Why the Hell Not?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by L5player, Jan 9, 2006.

1. L5player

L5player Member

Just a pod. Got to make the tone up with the fingers I guess until I get me a sponsor! LOL Andy? You feeling generous? :)

jhfjam.mp3

I'm starting to get a hang of this melodic minor thing you guys are talking about! Finally! :horse

Jim

2. journo

journo Member

Hi Jim,

No excuses Jim!
    You sound so much better with that POD than many others with boutique amps. I.e. your fingers must be good. :D
    Musically it's just too good!

Melodic minor? If I remember correctly this Frog tune/BT is in A so what notes would be in an a melodic minor? This info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mats N

3. L5player

L5player Member

Hi Mats,

I think the boutiques sound pretty good, but thanks! :) Well, I'm not all that "scale oriented" in my approach but the tones that I was fooling around with correspond to an ascending melodic minor. In fact I found it nice to start on the 7th tone to begin with. The scale was altered somewhat because I threw in a #11 as well for spice. Here is a numeric representation of the scale:

R 2 b3 #4 5 6 7
    A B C D# E F# G#

I probably mixed in the 4th too so I'm not too prepared to describe what this scale would be other than to identify the tones I found useful. Actually I'm equal opportunity when it comes to notes so I generally don't confine my thinking to a scale at any given moment. That would help to explain my thinking about the subject. ;)

Thanks Mats,

Jim

4. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Hey Jim, I like what you did with that A LOT. Good mix of traditional grooving bluesy playing with some outside stuff, which IMO is the way to do it. It all fit together very nicely and kept my ears listening for those little "surprises" that the Melodic Minor based stuffed offered. Very musical, which is what it's all about!

5. Normster

Normster Member

That was terrific, Jim! Sooo freakin' melodic. By now you must be tired of hearing how much I love your playing. ;)

BTW, you do all of the right things with the POD...you make it FIT!

6. L5player

L5player Member

Thanks alot for the kind words! I try to keep it interesting for myself when I'm soloing. I don't always acheive what I set out for but am always trying to do better.

Jim

7. L5player

L5player Member

Thanks Norm!

I think I only get away with a reasonable sound with the pod, somewhat musical but in now way comporable to the incredible tones you all get here. These amps I hear are instruments unto themselves. And the artistry to put together all the mods and amp/speaker/mic placements on top of some incredible playing is certainly an inspiration to me! :)

Jim

8. scottl

scottl Member

Terrific stuff Jim!! Reminded me of Tag alot. Very similar feel and approach. Nice mix of the outside stuff. Me dig mucho!