Smooth Fuzzzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zadiqof, Feb 6, 2006.

1. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

Third edit on this post lol -
    So Im looking for a smooth fuzz tone. Kinda QOTSA SFTD style. Woman tonish, y'know, tight bottom end, smoooooth sounding. Big Muffy minus the gargly chords and trashy bypass.

[ive owned/played]
    tons of big muffs (thumbs down)
    matchless hotbox (too sparkly)
    zvex whooly mammoth (too square wave/compressed)
    frantone peach fuzz (it was two years ago, sounded pretty sweet)
    fulltones (69 70?, not warm/smooth enough, rather colorless)

[i am interested in]
    Differential Audio Manifestations (rams head/mkII)
    Univox Super Fuzz
    Shoot :BEER

Also, just throw down your favorite fuzz's

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

BJF Pink Purple Fuzz. (even with humbuckers) :)

3. alguit

alguit Guest

I have not heard a smoother fuzz than the Cornish P2, but it is NOT true bypass (go to Pete's site and read "the Case Against True Bypass," and yes, I know I'm opening up a whole 'nother can of worms here!) :angel

4. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I'd just like a bypass better than those junky EHX ones. I've read that and totally agree, my Klon proves to me that true bypass is no necessity. Sadly, I leave it on so much I pretty much dont care how the bypass is lol.

5. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Euthymia ICBM. Big Muff maybe, but it's the smoothest and fattest Big Muff I've ever played or heard. It is even responsive with volume knob adjustments and works great after my wah. Try that with any other muff out there. :RoCkIn

6. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

I would say you need a si fuzz face. I wasn't too impressed with the fulltone 70 when I tried it. There's a lot of them out there, like the crucible fuzz or the london fuzz 2.

Which big muffs have yout ried? The ri or the vintage ones? I wouldn't go by the ri ones, as they sucked, well except for the green ones, but if you get them on the high side of the spectrum, you might as well go booteek.

Generally, use your neck pup, scoop the mids (I know, scooping the mids gets some bad vibes, but it's what you want for a smoother tone), roll the treble and maybe the volume. Also, putting a fuzz pedal on an alraedy overdriven amp smoothes it out a lot.

7. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

fulltone soul-bender!

8. ahab

ahab Member

I guess I am not quite sure what you mean by "smooth." To my ears the Fulltone Octafuzz offers some really nice singing, almost mushy, tones, but the fuzz is not subtle. I actually liked the Octafuzz better than the 69 or 70. I usually run this pedal without the octive engaged-when it is engaged there are some really cool harmonics that seem to just jump out.
    -Ahab

9. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Yep, it does sound like you're looking for a Cornish P2.

10. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Throbak Stone Bender! :dude

11. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

T-Rex Mudhoney. It is such a great sounding pedal, I could dial in killer overdrive or over the top fuzz in seconds, and all of it rips and is toneful. No harshness at all thanks to the tone control, but it still clobbers the band when I crank it up.

I have owned so many fuzz boxes over the last 30 years ... too many to even count. The T-Rex is my favorite to date.

It is definately a matter of personal taste, but I get tons of compliments when I let that pedal loose at a gig ... or maybe they are all complaining (?)... I can't tell what the crowd is saying, and I am not about to turn down to find out :D

12. meterman

meterman Member

Seems like I remember reading that he doesn't use fuzzes? Just cranked up Ampegs I thought, I don't know for sure....I have/had a bunch of fuzzes and to me the closest I've come to that particular tone was from my Fulltone Soulbender. Fat, smooth and tons of gain, cool sounding pedal...