smooth overdrive pedal for lead playing

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gigino, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Gigino

Gigino Member

I'm searching for an overdrive pedal to use for lead playing using a PRS standard22 and a laney lionheart (5w el84 amp). i need a pedal able to give me smooth long sustained tones. I'd like it to be true bypass and very dynamic. What do you suggest? the price should be not over 200$ and the pedal should be easily available in europe

2. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I'd recommend a Fulltone OCD or a CMATMODS Signa Drive. The OCD is very dynamic, and the Signa Drive has a mini toggle that will give you alot of versatility in the OD arena.

Good luck!

3. Gigino

Gigino Member

is the ocd smooth sounding? It is one of the pedals i'm evaluating but in several posts it is said to be a little fizzy

4. joeysmac

joeysmac Member

My Menatone Blue Collar is very lush and smooth.

5. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Barber Burn Unit EQ.

6. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I've been thinking about getting an OCD myself, but I'm still not sure. I tried it once but I ended up getting something else that day because 1) I actually found it to be too smooth or at least way smoother than the sound clips on the website that drew me to the pedal in the first place and 2) I wanted an overdrive that will work well with my Voodoo Lab Microvibe to give me a good Trower- type of tone, but I didn't want to go with a Tubescreamer 808 clone to get it (still looking).

I think part of the problem was the fact that I was trying it through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (I was looking for an amp that sounded similar to my Carvin MTS combo, but I was wrong). The battery in the pedal could have been low, or the OCD could have been faulty, etc.. The point is that something wasn't working, and the pedal wasn't sounding like the sound clips do. But I continue to hear and read great things about it, and I know Trower is using one (I love the clip of him on the website where he's doing "Daydream")(I don't know if he uses the OCD with his Dejavibe though, that's the thing)
    I'm still searching for the right overdrive for the microvibe, and I know it has to be somewhat smooth. It's a tough road to finding the right overdrive. People could write books on the subject.

You might want to check out the Fulldrive as well as the M.I. Baby Blue, Blues Pro, and Tube Zone.

Incidentally, If anybody has an answer to my Microvibe/Trower/overdrive problem, feel free to PM me.

8. giggedy

giggedy Member

9. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Barber Small Fry - virtually the same as the Burn Unit EQ, only single channel and under $200 US.

10. JMarck

JMarck Member

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I was gonna say the same thing, though it can also be dialed in to sound aggressive as well. The onely drawback is that the Blue Collar is kind of compressed and not very dynamic.

12. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I think a Mosferatu would fit the bill perfectly.

14. electricfactory

electricfactory Supporting Member

I just bought an OCD today, have been playing with it all afternoon- very smooth and very highly recommended for your stated purpose.