Smooth overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scotty31, Jan 7, 2008.

1. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

not 100% sure what im after, but basically id like something that is super compressed, smooth and liquidy.

thinking either a BBD again, or a cactus crunch or small fry

any other suggestions?

2. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Of all the pedals I've owned/own and/or tried, these will all fit your bill, each with a different flavor:

Xotic AC Booster (most compressed in this list, kinda' like a TS9 but not nasally, great for low to mid gain leads)
    Xotic BB Preamp (nice high mid peak, kinda' Marshally but very smooth, especially great with neck SCs, great for mid to high gain leads)
    Jetter Gain Stage Red (the smoothest kind of Dumble tone, great throughout gain range)
    Menatone Howie (same idea as the GSR above, but with different controls/features)
    MI Audio Tube Zone (pick the latest 6-knob version, highest gain of the list, unique sound, can be a touch thin w/ certain PUPs/amps)

4. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

You'll love the Xotic BB Preamp...go to prosoundcommunications.com

Check out the video clips and testimonials...great pedal.

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

The two things I like about the Xotic pedals (in addition to the overall great tone) is the huge usable gain range and the post-OD high/low tone stack. It makes them so flexible that it's tough to NOT be able to get your tone out of them or match them up with the rest of your rig.

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Gold Supporting Member

Small Fry can be set for very smooth OD. One of the few pedals I miss enough to want to get another one.