• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Smoother speaker for Suhr Badger 18 1X12

FFTT

My best friend just purchased a minty fresh Badger 18 head and matching 1X12 cab.

It's loaded with a Vintage 30 and it's killing him with ice picks
and he's totally not pleased with the lead tones at a reasonable volume
regardless of settings. With Les Pauls and Strats.

By the time he gets any tone he likes, it's too loud.

I don't think it's the amp at all, just the choice of speaker.

Suggestions for low volume Marshall-Jazz/Rock leads. AlNiCo's ????
TT's C-Rex, Scummies

Suggestions for more of a Vox voicing.
Wondering if an AlNiCo Blue is going to be better or worse due to his
sensitivity to highs.

Really need some help here.

Shon Kornfeld

sounds like that speaker needs to break in!

i have a Badger 18 with matching 1x12 and i didnt even listen to it... first thing i did was run a 60hz sound wave (from a Signal Generator plug in in Pro Tools) into the amp loop, to the cab. let that run at a decent volume for 3-4 hours and then played it... perfect! i do this with all new speakers and sounds like you need to do something similar

Tonemeister69

I'm assuming the V30 isn't broken in yet, right? There's half or the problem.

Tell your mate to ditch the 1x12, get a 2x12 and score some used Greenbacks off eBay :AOK

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
If after the break in period, the V30 still doesn't meet your expectations, try a Scumback M75 in there.

FFTT

The speaker is already broken in from the previous owner.

My buddy who bought this is 67 years old, so he's a bit of a curmudgeon.
Cleans are O.K., but the lead tones get really fizzy at lower volumes.
Ice picks on the top end at louder volumes.

He does have serious volume issues, so trying to get a match of good
lead tones at lower volumes is already a PITA.

He's also handicapped so this 1X12 is already a burden.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I have Badger 18, and the Scumback M55 is just the speaker for that amp....The ultimate Greenback, as I call it...get a higher powered one..they sound the same, but have a bit more bass

Scumback Speakers

lukeII

I had a Badger 18 and it paired up really well with A Reinhardt 12-65H lead cone. If you want Scumback my research leads me to believe that the M75HP (65 watt) would be close to that. I believe that Pete Thorn uses that speaker on some of his recordings.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
FFTT, here are some Badger 18 clips with the H55 30w speaker, which may be just what you're looking for, based on what you've described above.

Strat/H55/Badger: http://southbayampworks.com/h55/Badger-H55-Strat.mp3

LP Std/buckers: http://southbayampworks.com/h55/Badger-H55-LPstd.mp3

LP w/P90's: http://southbayampworks.com/h55/Badger-H55-LP-P90.mp3

The H55 speaker comes in around 98/99db, so it's about 5-10% less loud than the V30.
Great clips Jim....Is that you playing guitar???....Great stuff...

Husky

My best friend just purchased a minty fresh Badger 18 head and matching 1X12 cab.

It's loaded with a Vintage 30 and it's killing him with ice picks
and he's totally not pleased with the lead tones at a reasonable volume
regardless of settings. With Les Pauls and Strats.

By the time he gets any tone he likes, it's too loud.

I don't think it's the amp at all, just the choice of speaker.

Suggestions for low volume Marshall-Jazz/Rock leads. AlNiCo's ????
TT's C-Rex, Scummies

Suggestions for more of a Vox voicing.
Wondering if an AlNiCo Blue is going to be better or worse due to his
sensitivity to highs.

Really need some help here.
Sounds like his settings might now a little off?
He probably has the drive set higher than the power, it should not be used as a gain control but a way to limit the signal going to the power section.
Have him call Chris at the shop or email so we can make sure he understands the controls.

As far as a substitute speaker that has less highs I would say a G12-65, I know the Scumbacks are great but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Scumback Speakers

Great clips Jim....Is that you playing guitar???....Great stuff...
Nope, not me on guitar, Rod. The player (L'Angelo Mysterioso) is under contract for endorsements to another speaker company so I can't reveal who he is. He does have five Scumbacks now, though, and has replaced the speakers in his Badger 18w and his touring rig as well.

iMatt

i am also considering trying a different speaker in my Badger 18 combo. I am finding that even with the treble at minimum I am still having to back off the tone on the guitar - particularly strat. I think part of my problem may be that the amp does sit in a very bright room, and I never get to wind it up.

To keep it simple I am looking at an alternative celestion (readily available here in the UK compared to some of the alternatives that crop up on these pages). John suggests the G12-65 but i note the Celestion site says that is higher power than the other Greenbacks and so might not be best choice for me.

I will be using this at home only - so don't need to cut through a band. I will be playing at low volume (don't really get power/drive above 2). Looking for a good just breaking up tone - like a nice full base but I have bass to spare on the Badger with V30 - its more a matter of taming the highs that is my aim.

So which celestion would you suggest?

ive had my badger 18 for about a year now and my favorite speaker with this particular amp is the celestion 20 watt greenback heritage reissue. great mids crispy highs without the ear attack and really focused bottom end. its a beautiful thing. also, how the power and drive knobs are set play a huge role in the type of sound you get. keeping the power and drive close together(not more than two notches away) while setting the amp makes a huge difference in the overall smoothness of the amp. also ive noticed the gain knob can add a lot of those harsh high frequencies, so try a boost pedal to push the pre instead of turning up the knob.

iMatt

ive had my badger 18 for about a year now and my favorite speaker with this particular amp is the celestion 20 watt greenback heritage reissue. great mids crispy highs without the ear attack and really focused bottom end. its a beautiful thing. also, how the power and drive knobs are set play a huge role in the type of sound you get. keeping the power and drive close together(not more than two notches away) while setting the amp makes a huge difference in the overall smoothness of the amp. also ive noticed the gain knob can add a lot of those harsh high frequencies, so try a boost pedal to push the pre instead of turning up the knob.
I also emailed Celestion support for their thoughts and the G12M Heritage was their recommendation too, so that definately seems to be the one to try - thanks. I will probably miss the V30 in some respects no doubt - but for my my particular situation and intended use right now the Greenback sounds a better overall option for me.

I will also experiment with boost pedal as you suggest.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
You should hear it with a Scumback M55

jchan

I have a Badger 30 and the G12-65 Heritage sounds beautiful with it. Its very smooth and perfectly balanced.

cr8z4life

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure about their recommendation.......I have a cab with 2 heritage greenbacks and tried it with the badger 18 when I had it and with my Badger 30 and I think it sounds better with a 2x12 with a g12h30 and a v30......I defiinately didnt like it with the heritage greens......

Just ordered Johns 1x12 cab and am trying to decide to throw in a broken in V30 or a Governor I have.......

Curious, I have a Badger 30. I didn't like the V30 until I broke it in some. I enjoy the tone, but some of those Scumback speakers really got me thinking.

Last edited:

AnthonyL

Gold Supporting Member
Listen to the man that designed and builds the amp... He said G12-65. I would agree as well. Sounds great!!!

Trending Topics