Smoothing out the pick attack

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Super Locrian, Dec 22, 2017.

1. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Try playing with a different part of the pick or changing your angle.

2. rufedges

rufedges Member

I use the round end of the pick now, not the pointy end.....give it a try.

3. The Axecutioner

The Axecutioner Member

I get a lot of smoothness with tapping a lot with the odd picked notes thrown in. Also economy picking a'la Frank Gambale yields a nice fluid sound. I agree all legato is tough to do for long periods of time unless you have Allan Holdsworth's (RIP) hands and ability which we'd all love :)

Also pick material can make a lot of difference. medium thickness acrylic picks have a real fast release and glide off the strings and can make picking a lot more fluid. I use D'Addario Acrylux Nitra picks which are acrylic mixed with nitrate so they have a warmer sound unlike conventional acrylic picks but you get the same quick release and no horrible pick noises.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Tmidiman likes this.
  4. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Who makes conventional acrylic picks? Just curious, I don't think I've heard of that unless maybe that's what gravity and/or vpick use.

The pro plec and pickboy jazz picks are noticeably warmer sounding than standard Fender picks (to me) but they may have a little more drag too. Not that I play fast enough that they'd tangle me up but it does feel like there's a little rub or grab to them. Kind of a nice feel to me for single note playing but not something I'd want to deal with on a funk strum.

Anyhow just wondering what these acrylic picks compare to. Thanks.

5. The Axecutioner

The Axecutioner Member

Yeah, Gravity and V-Picks make the conventional acrylic picks. The new D'Addario's have better release from the string and less pick noise, really impressed with the Nitra picks. As it happens I was using the Jazz shape D'Andrea Pro-plec picks prior to getting the Acrylux and was A/B'd the two last night, the Acrylux are far better and exactly the same size and shape, a bit brighter than the pro-plecs though which seem very dull to me with more drag. Looking back at all the picks I have, the Acrylux perform similar to the red bears and hawk picks I have (which are way more expensive) but with a better pick attack and less noise.

6. cram

cram Member

Some of this suggestion helped me. It was based in what Tomo F suggested in his approach: turn an amp UP and make it bright. The theory being that you're getting intense feedback (not looping of sound feedback) in how exaggerated the sound of the pick will be.

I even did this with earbuds when I couldn't really turn up. I'd plug into garageband on my phone and put input monitoring on an eq'd signal.

All that's great, but the patience for, "staying home" is key. Ooohboy did my mind want to go faster with more tension in my hand. Fight that crap and stick to it. Work out with it - apply time dedicated to it.

Results - at the end of a few stints, I'd notice a comfort coming more quickly. I'm not even in the neighborhood as EJ at all. But I'm better for my efforts and that's the point.

Tmidiman and splatt like this.
  7. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

You never said what guitar, amp, and effects you have/want to use.

Higher action won’t hurt you too bad. I mean it’s not skyscraper right. One of the things I wanted to ask AH about was his action. I got to talk with him and also went to a clinic.

Look into Tom Quayle and his teachings on legato. Here’s a clip. Yes his sound is mostly clean here, but focus on the techniques used. Technique is just one factor, but an important one. And while Tom uses his middle finger AND pick Holdsworth shows it can be done with just a pick. Use what works for you, but for sure dig into his left hand technique.