Smoothing sharp edges on frets?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 69strat, Apr 27, 2008.

1. 69strat

69strat Member

I just got an allparts neck... The fret edges are sharp.. Whats the best way to smooth them out ?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Allparts necks need a fret dress and the fret ends rounding .Are you going to do this work yourself ? If not I suggest you get it Plek dressed and the ends taken care of at the same time.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Most aftermarket necks need a little fretwork to make 'em just right. By your question I'm guessing you haven't done this job before - levelling, fret ends, crowning.

If this neck is one you want to have turn out just right, I strongly suggest having it done by a pro. It's not that hard to do, but there is a bunch of technique and some experience involved to make it turn out great. If it's a project guitar and you don't care that much about perfection, give it a shot yourself. Try picking up a Dan Erlewine book or DVD for instructions/ demonstrations.

As I said, it's not rocket science, but there is a great benefit to having experience. I also strongly recommend talking to your tech and getting them to let you watch and explain what it is they're doing, and why, as they do your neck. Then, next time, try it yourself.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

4. 69strat

69strat Member

Thanks for the advice guys... Its off to the tech...

5. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

OMG!! CB You're going to pay somebody???!!

6. 69strat

69strat Member

Just call me you prick!!!!! 631-943-3980....