Smoothy Jazz not smooth enough.

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by duffyguitarman, Jan 8, 2006.

1. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I guess I use up all my "smoothness" on the babes. I was contacted to do a demo of a couple smooth jazz tracks for something on national TV. There were specific instructions as to no saxaphone stuff ala. KennyG, Dave Koz ect., so I think great, they are looking to expand out of the norm. I had 3 days to get it to them. Composed the music in one day. Tracked on day 2, called in favors from a bass player and drummer for the rhythm tracks. For different sonic flavors, I pulled out my ailing Roland GM70 w/JV880 and put down some piano. All guitars were one take efforts, solos were last at around 2-5am. Day 3 mixed and Fed-Ex'ed out.
    So they call me and say, the songs are not "circular enough"(wtf does that mean), "too angular" and at times "too dissonant". Oh well, I actually like the compositions and some of the things I played. Thought I would post them and hope you folks enjoy something in it, considering I'm not gonna make any money with them.:mad: ;) :D
    http://www.duffyking.net/music.html
    Trk.1 "Say Unckle", Is my ES175 through,(as time was of essence) a Line6 Twin model. Nylon str. rhythm git.
    Trk.2 "Black Onyx", GM70 midi piano theme starts song, then my Chet Atkins Nylon string direct takes over.

Peace,
    Duffy

2. StevenA

StevenA Member

Definitely too circular! The angularity was most apparent. I suggest you try to play something greener next time or perhaps a little more rhomboidal.
    But for the most part it was smoother than a used car salesman on quota weekend!

Steven

3. onemind

onemind Member

smooth enough for me, more circular than a...than a.... hula hoop?

4. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Hi Duffy.

I used to work in television and I thinking that when they are askign for something "circular" they mean something repetitive that makes it easy for them to drop it in under the video edit of the open, bumpers and close & credits.

As far as "angular" and "disonant" I believe they are asking for something a bit bland that will not compete with any sort of voice over our audio tracks.

The stuff sounds great especially considering the time frame in which you had to put it together.... Television producers often lack the verbal skills to explain correctly what they want (assuming they even know themselves...)

Best,

James

5. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I only listened to the first one (say unckle). 'Not circular enough' probably refers to the form--as in having more than two chords, or otherwise not returning to its starting point quickly and simply enough.

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Nice stuff Duffy, reminded me a little of some of the cooler stuff I remember David Spinozza doing. 'member him? Anway, great job.

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

GREAT PLAYING!!

:AOK :AOK :AOK

I really dig the tunes as well. Nice changes in both. To write and play like that in so little time is incredible. Very impressive Duff man.

8. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Thanks everyone. I had a good laugh at the humorus posts. James and RH, I think the synopsis you guys have are probably dead on.

Leon and Tag, thanks for the props, really means alot coming from players like you guys. David Spinozza, man I do remember him. I think I recall an album cover with him and a Tele.

Peace all,
    Duffy

9. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Man... I really, REALLY like your stuff! More than I can probably relay here.

10. scottl

scottl Member

Excellent stuff Duffy. You captured the vibe of the style perfectly imho....

Nice tones, nice playing, and overall nice productions.

11. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

I dig it!

I bet you could sell it to the Weather Channel for their "Local Area Forecast" background music. It fits right into that format (I always
    hear something I like on the local forecast)

Great playing and production values.

12. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Thanks so much guys. Christof, how are you feeling? I am sure that many here on GP are wondering.
    Scott if your diggin' something I do, it means alot to me.
    Bill, I kinda thought it was destined for the Weather Ch. by this company. Seemed like a good fit, maybe I will try to get in contact with someone there directly. Thanks,

Peace all,
    Duffy