Snacks for thought about the Hotcake and the Klon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have read numerous times from posts that many non true bypass pedals aka cornish,klon and hotcake etc would sound as good in true bypass! You can still have a internal buffer with true bypass, most people I know use a stand alone buffer for the whole chain anyway. So do the non TBS boutique pedals basically color your sound more than they want you to know? food for thought only

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't use my HotCake because it's not true bypass and it clearly effects the tone when off. But I do love the pedal. a few years ago I took it apart to change it to true bypass, but just never got around to finishing the job. Hmmm, maybe this week.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I have two Hotcakes; one on a small board and one on a medium sized board with a Klon.

They are my benchmark pedals and to my ears add substantially more than they take away. I think the Hotcake makes every pedal behind it sound better, even when it's off. Some of the Maxon & Guyatone TBS pedals I've owned effect tone when either on or off. So, I've concluded that True Bypass is a buzzword that still needs to be put to the test, regardless.

But, for me, the more pedals I daisy chain and run simultaneously, the more I'm trying to alter my existing tone. Often times guitar, cord, amp is a boring combo and other times it's just the ticket. Lately, I like a little bit of extra grind {achieved via an overdrive, or clean boost, or compressor, or a fuzz pedal, or a combination} and a bit of delay on top of the tone. Sometimes the vibe, tremolo or chorus gets kicked in and, by that time, my original signal has traveled through many little gadgets and cables to get to the amp. The Klon & Hotcake have a unique way of keeping the signal stronger and brighter. I've tried it both ways and with either of those pedals it just sounds better to my ears. But either way, the main objective that I want to achieve is a modification of my original tone. So, I'm really not scrutinizing if my original tone has been effected because my main objective is specifically to effect my original tone!

And...while I have been greatly bitten by the pedal TBS boutique syndrome that many of us have surrendered to, I still have no issue hooking myself up to the homogenized alleged tone sucking machines, like Boss, Dunlop, Pro-CO, etc., pedals and playing away.

At least that's how I approach pedals. I totally dig the ampish and transparent boxes but I'd rather hit a pedal for a specific color and use a good looper if I needed to return to my original sound.

4. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Hmm, I don't notice any effect with mine off. Is yours one of the older ones with the switch? I haven't had a single problem using mine stock.

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Mine is from 1999, it has the two knobs and a switch.

6. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

I have a recent hotcake bluesberry and it is THE best overdrive I have ever played - and there has been plenty. I definately cannot notice any tone degredation when off. I pop it first in my chain all day long. It has so much easier to lock into than other od's - huge sweet spot - all time classic!:dude

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Actually, the bypassed tone of the Hotcake is pretty cool, it adds a pleasant shimmer and smearing to the high end that I like, and it's barely noticable. But still, when I want a pedal off I want it really off. But didn't he finaly go to true bypass on the newer units? If so maybe I could just get one of those.

8. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Where to find any soundfiles of the HotCake?

Always wondering how it is so popular as it is almost never to find on the WWW.

Thanks

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Still uses the buffer. I hope he never changes to TBS. I also own {x2} the Bluesberry and it's a great pedal! If he was a USA builder it would cost double and be on BO for 12 weeks. :crazy

10. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Dylan I have heard some soundclips of the hotcake and they dont do it justice - there are some over at tonefactor. But to truly appreciate the pedal - you need to have a go at it in person. Brad will gladly hook you up - Im pretty sure he has the bluesberrys and standard models in stock now. :AOK