Snagged Another Schmidt Stella

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by zombywoof, Jan 19, 2015.

1. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I do not have many rules when it comes to guitars but one I do have is even if the guitar has no labeling or marks to identify it but does have an angled neck heel and is less than $50 grab it without asking any questions. I have known about this guitar for some three years now but it violated the price tag part of the equation. Saturday I went into the store where it lived hanging on a back wall to buy a used fiddle case. They made me one of those deals I could not turn down. So I now have a late 1930s "Westbrook" Stella to keep by Schmidt-made Galiano jumbo company. Hey, if nothing else, I had a 1940s Gibson case laying around that needed to be filled.

Not anywhere near minty condition (as is no great surprise at my price point). There is a neck reset and a few other minor repairs in its future. But it is playable so I can have some fun with it as it be. All-birch, 12 frets, ladder braced, and sporting the cheapest looking tailpiece I have ever seen. A bit of decalomania going on. Not everybody's cup of tea to be sure but these guitars have achieved a near legendary status among blues freaks and inspired a small cottage industry in updated, high dollar clones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Very cool, you have a knack for finding really cool pieces.