Snake Oil Acoustic Strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by edgarallanpoe, Feb 6, 2006.

1. edgarallanpoe

edgarallanpoe Member

I have been using SOS on all of my electrics for quite some time now and decided to give their acoustic strings a try. WOW...great stuff. I have been using DR acoustic lately and the difference between these is night and day. The SOS were much louder and more full sounding. I couldn't be happier. I don't know if they will last as long as the electric sets will, but so far I have been mightily impressed by these strings. I would also like to say that dealing with Dean is always a pleasure. He really goes the extra mile to make sure things are right. One of my packs was missing a .12 string and he made sure that a replacement was sent out immediately. 2 days later it was in my mailbox. Great strings and great service. Great job guys!

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I feel the same. Made my Martin and my Taylor sing like no other!

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

My string order arrived today! Once I sweat through my current set of Elixir on my Taylor, I will load up the SOB and see how she sings!! Hoping for good things from these strings.

4. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Are they as bright as the Elixirs or Blue Steels?

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

They will sound bigger and better than both of those. The Rock Formula for electric guitars is brighter than the Vintage Formula. For Acoustics, the 101 Formula for Dreadnaughts is the brightest (Phosphor Bronze).

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

So far these are my faves....

I have been through a lot of strings for my acoustic and previous to this I liked the Pearse strings as they were initially nice and bright and sparkly but that lasted all of a day and worst of all they were oh so stiff to play...

previous to this I had a set of DRs on and I hated them completely choked off my guitar and made it sound small...

The SOS's OTOH are a little warmer than the Pearse strings but retain that tone...I've had em on a month and they still have that snap to em...they make my guitar resonate..are well balanced...sound big and they are velvety smooth to play...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I am about to order a couple sets of SOS's (12-53) for my acoustic (Martin 00-15), and i'm wondering whether to go with the 101's (apparently the richest sounding), or the slightly brighter 102's.

I like a warm tone, but definitely also need some punch and definition. Anyone tried both formulas and have any first hand recommendation?

Thanks in advance - jv

8. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

Hi John,

I use the PBL 101 (12-53) sets on my D-28, & it's plenty bright enough for me, they a have a really nice & rich "3D" tone to them too! :AOK

Unlike other brands I've tried, they hold their tone for absolutely ages - I personally wouldn't want to go any brighter than the "Alloy 101" -
    ...but then I guess other people's tastes may vary - e.g. I typically love Martins & dislike the typical bright (IMHO) Taylor sound, which can be a little brash to me.

9. usc96

usc96 Member

I have some on my Martin right now and am happy with them. I also like D'addarios on that guitar. But both brands blow the doors off the Martin brand.

10. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Sounds like the ticket. I tend to like my strings a bit broken in and warmed up, and if they aren't too dark on your D-28, they definitely won't be too dark on my little 00-15. That was my initial guess, but it's always nice to hear from folks who've used them.
    Well I'm off to order some strings, and also excited about the nickels I'm getting for my electric.

Thanks very much - jv