Snake Oil String users and abusers!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Jan 12, 2006.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys,

What did you use before Snake Oils and what did you find the largest differences?

I tried going back to D'Addarios to see if I made the right move and yep, Snakes won out for sure! Dean is a great guys and knows how to make the best string on the planet. Best feel, tone, and life.

One nice thing is even after they seem to be getting old....they still sound good! try that with GHS or D'Addario!

Cheers Dean!

:RoCkIn

2. papersoul

papersoul Member

Brewbeck, going back to GHS soon?:D

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Are you Snake lovers also picky about your picks? No pun intended!

Dean turned me onto Pyramid Celluloid picks...but I wish they came heavier. Maybe I'll try Dunlop or Fender Celluloids.

Anyone remember or have a link to Dean's Snake Oil website?

4. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Dean Farley created the Scalars years back. He now is producing the Snake Oil Brand. Incredible Strings.

In the 80's I went through D Addarios by the carton every week.
    90's I went from Dr's to R Cocco's.

During my R'Cocco phase, I cut a CD using four guitars for tracking- and my LesPaul Std. had R Cocco's on it. After the sessions, I left the strings on for a little longevity test. ON the road I went, and that set on my Lester lasted nearly NINE months..before I broke a string. The set still sounded good.

When R Cocco went out of biz (the folks who formulated the original DR's btw), I went back to DR's. I was also one of the test subjects for Elixrs before they went public- not bad, but I liked the R'Coccos and DR's better.

When I tried the Snake Oils I was stunned. The most 'balanced' set of strings I've ever used. Long lasting, too; and they retain their tone for quite some time. My first set went on my R8 over two years ago, and I've been buying them ever since. I get an avg. of 4-5 months on a set before I replace them, just for guarding against onstage breakage...

I love 'em.

Picks- yes I'm "picky" (har!). For recording, I'll use Fender mediums for most crunch rhythm; fender lights and mediums for acoustic guitar (depending on what I'm doing); and Clayton or Dunlop "Tortex" type 1.52mm or 2.00mm for solos.

Onstage- Tortex 1.52mm's.

5. erksin

erksin Member

I used GHS Boomers for about 15 years prior to trying the SOS Rock set last year. The GHS last me as long as the SOSs, but the SOSs have a feel about them that the GHSs don't - more substantial on the wound strings. I don't like the SOSs on certain guitars, so I still use the GHSs on those. I don't think the SOSs are the 'be all end all' string, but they are great on certain guitars IMO.

6. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

erksin- Have you tried Dean's Rock Formulas yet? I have not but I hear they are the cat's meow for those applications where the Original SOB's might not have the right timbre'... I've got a few friends who use those on their guitars that need a decidedly more fwd, aggressive edge to them.

BTW, the feel of the SOB's are spectacular, but so is the overall tonal balance, IMHO.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah - it's the Rock sets that I've tried and liked. It did try the Vintage set, but I prefer a brighter sting. Like I said, the SOSs are great strings - just not on every guitar. Personally, I've always had very good luck with the GHS Boomers - they stay in tune as well as the SOSs and seem to last me as long the SOSs. I like the additional tension of the SOSs on my 24.75 scale guitars now though. I use 10-52 sets for each brand - the GHSs feel better on my Fender scale guitars, and I like the GHSs tone better on them too.

8. mst3k

mst3k Member

So where does one purchase these magic strings?

9. justicetones

justicetones Member

The rock formula is excellent. I use both formulas. I use the vintage on my strats and tele with low output pickups. They sound great.

I use the Rock formula on a strat with Lindy Fralin SP43 (P90ish vibe) pickups. They measure close to 10K or so.

Also on my Nashville Tele with Rio Grande Muy Grandes in bridge and middle and tallboy in the neck I use the Rock Formula.

I love the SOB strings. They sound great, play great, and last a long time. I just changed the set on my Nashville Tele after about 3 months. The New set did not sound much different at all. I am very impressed. :BEER

10. justicetones

justicetones Member

www.sobstrings.net

You can get the info there and you order by emailing Dean.

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I used Thomastik's before switching to SOS. I'm about to go from 11's to 12's in the SOS because the SOS 11's move like 10's for me...even though they are heavier. I'm thinking that the 12's will move like 11's and give me that much more tone :)

12. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Dean's strings are the absolute best I've ever tried. I just ordered nine more sets!!

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'm getting interested in these Snake Oil Strings as well, maybe I'll try them out at some point.

I have taken a different route to the whole string thing for the last year. I order my strings from Germany, this big music retailer called Thomann. They sell GHS Boomers which I use for under 4 euros/set. That's less than half the price I would have to pay in Finland.. I usually order bunch of them and dont worry if I break a string (doesnt happen that often though) and I tend to change my strings more often now that I get them cheap.

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have heard so many people say 11's feel like 10's or 50's feel like 46's. Is this really true? I mean is it really, really true or is it just bragging on a great string?

I play/ use 46-10's in standard 440. I'm having a Suhr Classic built at the moment. If these strings truly feel that good, I thought about getting my guitar set up for 48's or 50's instead of my normal 46-10.

I know thicker strings get a better tone, but is a thicker string harder to break? I guess the question i'm asking, is it harder/easier to break when bending ? Like I said, I went from 9's to 10's and thats it. I have no experience with a heavier string, well except my friends 7-string and droped to C# guitar. I don't think that would count though. lol

How much do these things cost? Something like the Rock Me+ 11-14-18-28-38-50

15. 85db

85db Member

Their tension is lower but I wouldn't say their 10's is like 9's. Also beware that they bend slightly differently as they have more of a springy or rubbery (for the lack of a better word) feel. This is not the feeling I'm accustomed to. My fingers are rather used to "fighting" a string which contributes to a good vibrato. But overall, a set of 10's would have a lighter feel than many other brands. The SOB maker might be right in that this is what the vintage strings were like back in 50's-60's. (Personally, I'm still struggling with what "vintage" really is and, most importantly, whether it's truly better.)

The sound department is where the Snake Oil Vintage truly shine. Very balanced, warm, yet shimmery. This combination is what makes these strings unique when compared to everything else. However, I was able to fully realize the "shimmer" part only on a maple fretboard strats and I noticed that vintage or vintage-type pickups worked the best. I'm pretty sure the maker designed them while testing against vintage pickups. I didn't like the Vintate Snake Oils on a PRS and humbucker equipped guitars. They're probably not right for the humbuckers and I didn't test the "Rock" set which probably is.

Snake Oil's can definitely be a part of your sound palette, although it's not a one-for-all solution. If only my fingers liked their feel and tension, I'd definitely use them more.

16. justicetones

justicetones Member

85dB,

I have a set of the rock on my Les Paul. The pickups are vintage wind Torres and they are about 7-8K. The rock SOB strings sound awesone.

I tried the vintage SOB's and they sounded good on the same guitar but I think I prefer the rock formula on the mahogany body.

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I prefer the rock formula on my Tele.

18. justicetones

justicetones Member

I have really fallen in love with the Dunlop Tortoise Celluloid heavys.

Before I was using dunlop gator grip .73 and .96mm picks.

19. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

So the Snake Oils last longer - how well do they resist corrosion? I'm one of those people who just kill strings. With normal strings I have to change them on my guitar every week or so. I didn't like the original Elixirs on an electric, but the newer ones (with rust-resistant unwound strings) feel pretty good and last months.

Has anyone with "acid-sweatitis" switched to Snake Oils? How to they hold up?