Snake Oil Strings....A few questions..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteveVHT, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Well I bought a few sets...
    They sound good, but I find that they are very stiff in feeling...
    Anyone else have this experience?
    I threw my first set of Rock 10's on my OFR Suhr Standard, and they feel like 11's...Not slinky at all.
    The original strings John sent on my Suhr were 10's, but felt like 9's...

Did I get the wrong set going with the "Rock" strings...
    Any comments would be helpful...
    I'm use to using [FONT=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][/FONT]Thomastik Infeld Power Brites 10's...
    Thanks,
    Steve
    [FONT=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][/FONT]

2. trucks

trucks Member

I just put a set of Rock 10's on my N4 a couple of hours ago. That guitar is tuned down a half-step and the strings feel ideal. They do seem stiffer than the Vintage 10's on my Baker (standard tuning).

Dean, did I get that right?

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Hmmmm....the Vintage Nickel ones I've used actually felt like I was dropping half a gauge - i.e. 11's felt like what I would imagine 10.5's feeling. I had some Rock sets too, but I don't remember what the tension was like on those.

I do remember, however, that I liked the tone of the Vintage much more than the Rock. I need to order up some more.

4. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

So, in your guys experience, the Vintage series are a bit more "slinky" for lack of a better term????
    Thanks,
    Steve

5. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

The vintage nickel ones for me seem slightly stiffer than corresponding Ernie Balls. They do loosen somewhat after they've been on for a while.

6. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

Maybe I'm just a complete hack (and believe me, it's totally possible), but I tried two sets of Snake Oil strings and I'm really not noticing much of a difference. I know they're supposed to last a lot longer (still too early to tell), but I thought the tone and/or feel would be different, too.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Actually I order approx half of mine (Vintage) as Slinky variants (for Strats).
    I'm sure these are normal orders (just different) give Dean a call.

Best, Pete.

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

Pete - Is that the "slither" set you're referring to? I've heard about those but haven't tried them. How does the tone compare to "regular" vintage SOB's? Thanks.

9. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

The Snake Oil Brands strings do feel a bit tighter on the guitars I have in both Vintage and Rock Formula. I've asked Dean about this and he agrees that they do feel stiffer for lack of a better word. I like it personally. I can overbend easily. That said, I have .011s on my Heritage 535. The .010s wouldn't work for me so the .011s went on and I put the TP all the way down to the guitar top then wrapped my strings around the TP stringing from the neck side. You can decrease the angle of the string from TP to bridge and get it right where you want it on your guitar with the seperate bridge/TP. On my Strat and Tele I like the tension.

I'm pretty sure Dean has 9.5s doesn't he? He's a great guy and will make you custom sets should you want them. I love his strings.

10. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

Hi Steve,

Many players tell me that our strings are easier to bend. I think that scale-length has a lot to do with how "stiff" they may feel. I think if you go to a one step lighter set you'll be comfortable. Please email me at Leomuser@aol.com & I'll fix you up with some other sets to try. BTW we do have half gauge sets such as 9.5-11.5-16-24-34-44.

Best regards,
    Dean

11. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

About the same only slinkier.....

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ooops!!!!

Yes, the "Slithery" sets! Sorry Dean!

They are great for Strat and Teles - I prefer the regulars for Les Pauls and 335s.

Best, Pete.

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I got 3 different gauges of Vintage style SOB's.

Straight 10's (for the Gibsons)10-13-17-26-36-46
    9.5's (Teles and PRS, some Strats)9.5-11.5-16-24-34-44
    Hybrids (some Teles and some Strats) 9-11-16-26-36-46

They don't feel stiff to me, but I think it's a scale lenght thing, and the angle of the headstock.

Also, on the bottom strings, try not to get too many windings on the peg. 2 wraps is plenty.

The highs are WAY less harsh, to my ears. They have highs, they're just not as pronounced as with, say, Ernie's. This lets you turn the treble up a bit on the amp - say 1 to 1/12 numbers higher. I think that a lot of amps (well, Fenders and Marshalls) work better with the treble turned up a little.

My $.02

Dana

14. Leftee

Leftee Guest

What I notice about the Snakes is that the metallic overtones I hear with most store boughts is not present. That's the Rocks and the Vintage. Both are more musical, IMO.

I dropped some new HighOrder pickups in a guitar last weekend and didn't have any SOB's to put on. I ran to the local shop and bought a set of GHS. The metallic craptastic tone returned. I got my Snakes a couple days later and cut the GHS loose and restrung with a Vintage set. Much bigger/fuller/richer tone. The metallic tones were gone too. Huge difference.