Snake Oil Strings-Any breakage problems?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tclardy, Jan 12, 2006.

1. tclardy

tclardy Member

:jo
    I have been using snake oil strings for about a year and love them. Dean's service is great and the stings sound and feel great. The problem I am running into is it seems I am starting to have string breakage probblems on a regular basis.

My problems are not on any single guitar or string, although I am breaking E strings pretty often. I broke a D on my Heritage, B on My Asat, High E on my two groshes, all in the last two weeks. It is also not always at the bridge, two of these broke at the headstock, on the post.

I bend about average I suppose, Maybe I am hitting them two hard when singing?

These strings are expensive and I just wanted to get feedback to see if it is me or are these strings prone to more breakage.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I break them too.. I can be heavy handed at times and I have a vibrato style which saws them down at the frets... there are a lot of guys that have them lasting months and months maybe they are tuned down or have a lighter touch?.. I think it's idividual style that determins how long they last.. All in All , I do think they may slightly outlast the more popular brands... i use SOS AND Pyramids only.. great strings....
    If you want to play, you have to pay.....

I should add that I really only play one guitar(strat) so all my playing time is on the same set of strings and not divided amongst multiple guitars

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

If you beat the **** out of your strings witth your right hand you are going to break strings..no matter who makes them.
    I adjusted my right hand technique a few years ago and can count on one hand the number of strings I've broken since.

4. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I honestly cannot remember the last time I broke a string. Gigs, jams, rehearsals, recording, home... been many, many years since one snapped on me. I think I had an Ernie Ball break on me once when I was putting a fresh set on years ago, defective probably. Never a problem with the Snake Oils.

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

Well put. I have been working on adjusting my touch. I have only broken two SOS strings total between 8 guitars that are strung up with them. I have been using them for probably six months and I think I am on my second set on 5 of my most used guitars. I play alot for recording so they see alot of use.

Dean and his strings are the shizzit.
    :BEER

6. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

yea, i had that one break when I cut it accidentally.....

oh and then one broke when i tried to change pickups without changing strings....

then there was that incident with the lawnmower....

7. justicetones

justicetones Member

Don't tell me you were trying to recycle string into your weed wacker again:(

LOL.

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've had problems with strings breaking too - mostly the high E & B, but occasionally a G. That was on a Fender Strat 57 RI with a brand new Callaham bridge, and also on my brand new Gibson Les Paul Supreme.

So I bought a few Thomastik-Infield E, B & G strings to see how long they would last comparatively, and so far, they're lasting longer. I'm not unusually heavy handed either, but I do play strong with my right hand, but in a finessing sort of way. ;)

9. kev

kev Member

I have also broken a few Snake Oils, mostly the high E and IIRC, of the plain strings that have broken, all have done so in the loop that holds the ball. They all have broken after months of use though, so I find it difficult to fault the strings. I bought the first sets not only to try them, but also to push them to the limits when subjected to my normal playing habits. Sort of like driving a car until it runs out of gas, just to see how much mileage you can push out of a tank. Now I know that several months is my personal time to change out the sets if I don't want to force more bad stories out of lead singers. :)

To fairly report this though, as it might be coming across as a negative towards Dean and his strings: I have been using ON sets gauged .011~.048 on a Strat (trem) and 335 (trap) for over a year and a half, typically I am getting close to 5 months use out of sets on both guitars, multiple alt tuning, but mostly A440. The main reason I change them is due to a string break, which, to me, after five months of use, superior tone and performance compared to the old string brand I used, is a bargain and a half. My old sets (D'Addarios) would sound dead as nails after just a few days. I'd either deal with it or change 'em out.

I am sticking with Dean and SOS, not saying you wouldn't. Here's another reason why: when I contacted Dean the first time I broke a string (because at the time I thought he wanted broken strings for research purchases) he offered to replace it for free. I declined because that was not why I contacted him and that wouldn't have been fair to him in my book.

Kev

10. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

No problems here! Absolutely love em! Last forever and hold there tone the whole time.

11. GzsMuzik

GzsMuzik Member

I love 'em, and I plan to continue to use them, but they are breaking more on me than the Boomer I used to use ever did. I admit to being heavy handed, but that hasn't changed and I didn't used to break Boomers. I have broken probably 5 of them since I started with SO's about a year ago- all types, always at the ball end.

Still love them, tho.....

12. T-bone

T-bone Member

No breaks for me.

13. tclardy

tclardy Member

I wonder if pick hardness has anything to do with it. I play with hard picks and wonder if that beats the strings up more? I used ot play with mediums. I love the sound and feel of the strings though.

14. Den

Den Member

Exactly the same for me. I currently have eight different guitars I play and never break a string on any of them. Unless there's problems with bridge saddles or something like that, it's got to boil down to playing style.

15. erksin

erksin Member

I haven't broke one (I almost NEVER break strings), but I had a wound E string go very dead on me after about a month (sounded like a flatwound - and this was from the brighter 'Rock' set)...

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Don't the SOS strings have a higher tension when strung up? I believed that to be one key factor to the better sound they have. and maybe that also causes easier breakage?

17. talpa

talpa Member

Man I absoutely love my SOS strings and was an early Scalar devotee in Dallas thru Charley's posse years ago. This SOS' have that Scalar thing going no other string has - but...

Damn I am breaking strings left and right, mostly high but some low strings too. I have not changed my pick attack ( would you ask any artist to ?), which to be honest is semi-heavy handed in the SRV style at times - not all the time. I just wish I could figure out the deal...

I will continue to use these anyway, they are worth it for the tone I get. I love that nickel low-mid punch, and Snakes have the juice. I am hoping I got a bad run or something, although I do use custom gauges Dean whipped up for me, based on the EJ set which fit me perfectly. Its a texan thing I guess.

I recommend them highly for the tone, but wtf ? :YinYang

18. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

It's all in the right hand ;)

19. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I really like the strings too, and all my guitars are strung with them. I did have some breaks early on, noticeably more than usual, which is very few.

Mostly high E's and a B, and contacted Dean about it. He sent me some replacements, and the situation has mellowed over the past few months...my bet is there was some batch problems, I'd bought mine a bit over a year ago...

20. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

The old ones lasted forever. Don't know about the new batches.