Snakeoil Strings..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Goldjunkie, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Goldjunkie

Goldjunkie Guest

Has anyone tried them? I'm wondering if they are worth the extra $$.

2. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

A lot of people here have tried them. I am one and these are great strings. They last a long time, actually get better with some time. IMO they are a great deal since you don't have to change strings every week. Dean is a great guy too. :dude

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

4. Den

Den Member

Dean's strings are the best I've used and last at least four or times longer than the D'Addarios I used for many years. Definitely worth a try since so many others have really liked them as well. I'd go into more detail, but as pointed out, you should be able to find plenty of info on the specifics with a search.

5. JAH

JAH Member

+1...they seem to get better the longer you play em. For me they seem to take a little longer to settle into tune but once in they are solid. Plus they last forever.

6. jdps150

jdps150 Member

I just got my first order. Slapped em on the Custom. Hadn't played much, but, like them so far.
    Got a gig this weekend, will know better then.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I use 'em on all my guitars now. Dean is a fantastic fella and some kind of modern day alchemist. No joke. Biggest sound I've ever heard on both my acoustics and my electric. They are absolutely worth it. Try a couple sets and you will never turn back. They last 3 times longer than most too.

8. alberob

alberob Member

Deans strings are my favorites.I have them on all of my guitars except my acoustic 12 string and my nylon string electric solidbody.I'm sure Dean will make up sets for them soon.And most likely for my 2 bass guitars.He's the best!

9. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Deans strings were a let down for me. Came across as a great guy!

In thinking about it for the past few months, depth perception seems to be what drew me away. The strings seemed to have a very difinitive top end and there was a strident quality to them that I found to be very unapealling.
    I have found strings that are much bouncier and have much more harmonic content.

The SOS's did not last much longer than any other string. There WAS this harmonic content to the string that DID last, but I found that quality to be irritating and thin. They tend to sound a bit unnatural to me, much like when you put electric strings on an acoustic. Not in tone but in tonal quality. M.E.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

My experience with them - as a full price paying customer I might add - has been exceptional. They sound, feel and last far better than any other string I have ever used. They are highly recommended by me. I tend to favor his "Rock" formula FWIW.

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Rock formula too. I have also tried his 101 Phosphor Bronze Formula on my Martin and Taylor acoustics and they had an astounding impact. They sound so huge and full. They took killer guitars another notch higher for me.

12. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've been using them for almost 2 years now. MOstly the vintage, but one guitar with the Rock formulas. I find the vintage to be very full and rich sounding. tehy last a long time for me too. 6 months seems to be the norm. I will get about 6 weeks out of store-boughts.

13. Lefty

Lefty Member

Where does one find these strings?

14. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

15. Leftee

Leftee Guest

AFAIK Dean doesn't release those details that I am aware of. Dean has forgotten more about strings than all of the rest of us knew in the first place. Maybe he'll chime in here with whatever he feels comfortable telling us.

16. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

A couple years back a tried a couple of sets and did like the tone and feel a lot but I broke the E strings with both sets in less than a week (maybe I got a couple of bad sets????)

Since then I've been using Elixer Nanowebs and haven't looked back. They last forever and feel great.

17. jdps150

jdps150 Member

Ater playing live yesterday, I really like them.
    Feel is great. Tone was great too. Got the vintage set, the highs are a lot sweeter than the Dean Markleys I've been using.

18. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    I ordered a few sets last week and paid by Paypal but only got a confirmition from Paypal.
    Doesn't Sean send out a confirmation-mail when you place an order?

grtz Richard

19. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Member

Haven't seen one... strings just show up mysteriously. :RoCkIn

20. what?

what? Member

+1!