• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

snakeoils... 3 years this month....

slowburn

put on my current set in March 2006 (11 - 50 guage) yeah this dude needs a new business model, cause I would like to order more strings but just don't have a need. they're still that good... rock on...

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I misunderstood.

I thought you had been waiting three years for a set.

LPSlinger

Holy crap man, I can only PLAY on strings about 3 times before they get too rusted and dull sounding or break. Of course, my sweat is very acidic and my hands sweat constantly. I can't imagine 3 years on one set. That's nuts.

re-animator

that's weird... do you know what you're missing??? I mean behaviorists might have fun with this thread.... effective research design would state that you should remove the set, try a regular set, then follow it up with another set of snake oils then report back.

because complacency is more often than not the arbiter of content.

slowburn

hey as long as they sound good and still keep their intonation and no buzzing dead spots, it's all good.

imguitardan

yeah, with elixirs, the tone doesn't suffer (except for they sound LIKE elixirs) but the intonation's useless after about two months or sooner.

klatuu

I really miss my snake oils, but with the waiting time now from what I've read, I'll just be happy with d'Addarios and change them more often.

ben_allison

It's hard to realize how dead strings are until you change them, in my experience.
Yeah!

Before you change:

"Man... they sound fine to me..."

After you change:

"Chit... and to think I almost blew two-grand on a new amp!"

Last edited:

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I read an interview with the great Steve Cropper who loved old strings. If he broke one he would rub the new replacement with chapstick to deaden it to match the old ones.

Tom CT

Old Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm a big Snake Oil fan, but even if strings resist corrosion and oxidation better than other brands, they still wear out like any other string. An exaggerated example would look like this:

That's not going to sound good or intonate particularly well, no matter what the brand is.

Drifting

True but three years? Do you keep your guitar in a hyperbaric chamber or something?
I don't keep my strings three years, more like a month to a month and a half. I think you meant to quote the OP :p

I probably could cause I can't seem to break 11's.

The first thing that gets to me after having old strings is the sort of tightness I get when bending. Thats when I decide to restring.

Then all of the harmonics, sparkle, and animation hit me when I put on new strings.

realityczech

I had a guitar strung with Scalars (do your research) that sat in the case for 10 years and was in pitch with tone when played recently.
Go figure

realityczech

I'm a big Snake Oil fan, but even if strings resist corrosion and oxidation better than other brands, they still wear out like any other string. An exaggerated example would look like this:

That's not going to sound good or intonate particularly well, no matter what the brand is.
Then perhaps you should post photos of similar brand that share the same proxy.

WTF

Drifting

Yeah!

Before you change:

"Man... they sound fine to me..."

After you change:

"Chit... and to think I almost blew two-grand on a new amp!"

Haha, yes. I've always meant to record myself playing on a set of strings each consistently, and see if I can hear the difference day to day. It must be gradual for me not to notice until I restring.

I think people would save alot of money in amp purchases getting it right with the guitar first. Pickups, strings, pots, correct cap value(s).

Not that amps aren't fun! It's just that I hear people justifying buying different amps over minimal differences. Not that those differences don't matter to the discriminating guitarists(me too), but those little differences could be found in a pickup swap, set up, or upgrade in electronics. Much less than a new amp.(And alot easier on the back!)

Trending Topics