Snap, Crackle, Pop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pieman8pie, May 8, 2016.

1. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Hello everyone, happy Sunday!

I've been having quite a few amp problems these past two days. I was jamming with my buddy using my Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, when the amp just died and stopped working. No sound, no lights, nada. So I went to my local music store and picked a new pair of power tubes and a new fuse (the fuse was visibly busted) and loaded them into my amp and everything was working again. But I then noticed that whichever tube was in the left socket wouldn't glow or generate heat or anything like that. Both tubes worked fine, just whatever tube was in the left socket would get no juice.

I left the amp alone for the day, and came back to it today. I wiggled the tube around a bit and was able to get it to glow and get hot, but now there is a randomly consistent cracking/popping noise coming from my amp, and every so often there is a really loud pop that shakes the spring for the reverb. Occasionally, the noises would be consistent for more than a few seconds, like fire crackers going off, but the noise generally goes away after awhile (until it starts back up again after a few minutes). Everything still sounds and works great, the noise just doesn't go away.

I'm probably going to take the amp to a tech, but I just thought I'd check here to see if there's anything I can do to fix it, because my crappy internet searching skills haven't gotten me very far. It's insanely annoying, and it's very distracting when playing anything clean (and I can't afford to get distracted when I'm playing Racecar!)

Thanks in advanced!

-Jon

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Clean the tube socket. Or it's a cold solder joint at the tube socket.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Cleaning tube sockets and retensioning them would be my 1st step. Fact that you swap tubes and problem stayed with socket points to that.

Also you don't just pop a pair of power tubes in that amp without checking that they biased up correctly.

Thing you always have to think about is why did this malfunction happen. Could be that it was just that power tubes time to pass on to the next life and fuse kicked in and did its job to prevent something even worse from happening. But could also indicate a bias resistor has gone janky and that your living on borrowed time with that new tube and well on your way to your next Chernobyl melt down.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Just curious, how long did you have the amp on while the problems you've described manifested? Because me, I'd have unplugged the amp when the fuse blew the first time. Then, I would have opened up the amp to have a look inside. SOMETHING is making those pops and cracks. Might be a capacitor which you'd be able to spot easily. Might be a wire that's come loose and making intermittent contact. It's not something you can ignore. Cleaning the tube sockets with Deoxit is a good idea. But simply replacing the tubes and fuse is a bad idea until you know you've addressed the original problem. THEN you also need to bias the tubes. Are you sure the original tubes are shot?

5. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Hey everybody, thanks for answering!

I'll clean the sockets and retension them as soon as I get the chance. I need to go out of town for the next few days unfortunately so I won't be able to get to it right away.

Also, I'll have a buddy of mine look at the guts and see if everything is alright, and maybe even have him put in a bias pot so I can bias it myself in the future (unless of course my amp already has it, but as far as I know it just has resistors (I've never looked inside of it)).

The amp was on for about 20, 25 minutes when the first incident happened. I just got back from college about a week ago, so I've been using my amp relatively nonstop. I did originally buy it used from Guitar Center, and the guy I spoke to said that it was barely used by the guy that turned it in. At this point, I've had it for about a year. I've already had to replace the preamp tubes a while back because someone broke one while I was away.

I'm not too savvy when it comes to tube amps and the electronics, don't have enough experience with them. I can swap some pickups and some pots, but I'm not too sure what I can do with an amp. If it's an easy job then maybe I'll give it a go, because between getting ready for college, repainting a bedroom, and now have to get plumbing work done I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment.

Thanks again everyone for answering!

6. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. I noticed last night that there was this odd smell coming from amp after it was on for a bit, similar to the smell of something burning (which, now that I think about it, was actually present when the amp randomly powered down the first time). I don't know if this is directly linked to something or not, but I just thought that I'd through it out there.

Also, whatever tube is in the left socket is quite loose compared to the right one. Hardly have to use any force to get the tube out of it, however the original tubes fit nice and snug.

7. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Hey Jon,
    I live in the Albany area, if you take the amp anywhere consider parkway music. I've had great service there and it was relatively inexpensive.

John