SNAPPER or Blue Collar vs Barber LTD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Which pedal do you prefer, why, and with which amp/guitar combo.

The clips I have heard sound quite similiar so I hoping that there are some of you out there who have some hands on experience on these pedals, and give you opinion.

2. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Man, you cant go wrong with any of those.

Gregory

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

also depends on the money ya want to spend! can't beat the
    LTD for price, sound, and quality!

4. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

clips are deceiving, as all three have a distinctive sound. Out of the three, I probably use the Snapper more, but all equally good pedals.

5. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

I can't speak to the Barber, but the Red Snapper and Blue Collar are great pedals. The difference is that the Red Snapper doesn't color your tone...it's very transparent in it's OD. The Blue Collar is closer to an old Tube Screamer and adds a touch of mid-range and some compression. If you go Red Snapper, the older 3-knob versions are point-to-point, the new ones are PC boards. You can get both in one box---the Fish Factory. Limited production, may still have some at musictoyz.com

I might add that I have the Fish Factory and a Klon Centaur. I use each for slightly different sounds. Klon is the most transparent with Blue Collar the least transparent and the Red Snapper in the middle.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

6. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I forget if you are using humbucks or singles on your guitar. With single coils, I usually use the Red Snapper as more of a low gain drive, similar to a KLON. With humbuckers and P-90's, I crank the gain to about 3:00 and get some delicious overdrive. I usually use a strat, but when I do pull out my Gibson, the Snapper kills for a higher gain drive. It doesn't add a bunch of compression and other crap that will congest the sound of a humbucker equipped guitar. With strats, I will usually go to the Eternity for the similar function.

7. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

The Menatone website states they have gone back to point to point for all of their pedals.

The Fish Factory rocks. It does have a mid hump, but not as much as a Mosferatu or Barber Burn Unit. Don't know how the Snapper or Blue Collar compare to the LTD though.

8. madsr

madsr Member

I have a fish factory and it is point to point... I love it..great pedal..I tend to use the blue side with the strat and the red side with the LP

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Thanaks guys, great info!
    Does the Barber LTD really hold its own to the mentones?
    Would you say the LTD is more like a red snapper or the BC?