snapping and popping

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jzucker, Feb 5, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just starting to get the hang of this. I'm trying to work on the triplet stuff. Any recommendations? I watched tomo's video from the tonefest but he goes a little fast through the techniques (thank goodness for Transcribe!

Any other sources?

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

The Tomo triplet stuff is very cool. I'm no expert, but I'll toss in. As I'm sure you know, much has to do with the percussive ghost notes that don't contain any 'pitch' to speak of.

For instance, take the bass line from Herbie Hancock's staple, "Chameleon", and insert a percussive triplet figure after the chromatic walk up resolves to the root, right before the 5th and b7 are played. In G7:

----------------
    ----------------
    ----------------
    ---------X--0-3-
    ----------------
    -0-1-2-3--X-----

I use either pick or thumb to get the low E string, and whatever other finger's available to pick up notes on the D string. 'X' of course indicates notes with no pitch. I use whatever fretting finger that played the last note of 'pitch' (in this case, the third), as the 'damper' (lay it lightly on the string, such that no pitch is produced).

3. jzucker

Thanks Tim.

That much I have down. I'm trying to figure out on the triplet stuff whether Tomo is doing it by using p m i on muted strings or if it's a combination of a muted thumb slap, left hand muted slap and another muted thumb slap or some variation. Probably both. Last night I was fooling around with both of those techniques and coming up with some cool stuff...

4. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Slapping and popping: The new right-hand tapping?

More seriously:

MTS = muted thumb slap
    LHMS = left hand muted slap

So would a series of these would go

------ 3 ------ ------ 3 ------
    MTS LHMS MTS MTS LHMS MTS ....

Or more like a paradiddle

------ 3 ------ ------ 3 ------
    MTS LHMS MTS LHMS MTS LHMS ....

5. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

You've seen the Jean Marc Belkadi book from MI right? I'm not sure because its been awhile since I've had it, but I believe the Tomo DVD goes into a little introduction on the technique. Pretty amazing stuff. Gotta get those triplet figures down...

Jim

6. jzucker

I figured out a basic pattern. Variation upon RH's suggestion.

MTS = muted thumb slap
    LHMS = left hand muted slap
    MRFS = muted right fist slap (hit the muted strings with the 2nd joint of your fist)
    RHIP = Right hand index pull
    LHH = left hand hammer
    so the basic pattern would be

3 notes (Triplet) followed by 2 notes (8th).
    MTS LSMS MRFS RHPIP LHH

Of course there are as infinite a variety of these patterns as there are blues licks but I think this is a good nugget to start with.

Which is a triplet followed by an 8th.

7. jzucker

I have it. I didn't think it was very good but maybe I should revisit it. I also have some bass slapping books and the Larry Graham thing is a good suggestion.

8. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Had a sneaking suspicion that might be the case, hesitated in posting, and maybe should've. In any event, these sounds are quite interesting to me, so it's hiding in the bushes and taking notes for me! Thanks for the thread, I'll be following it.

9. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Try instead of the knuckle slap using the finger tips.That will also get you in place better for the pulls.
    Also how are you with the upstrokes with the thumb?

10. jzucker

Yeah, I was getting around to doing that. I suck with thumb upstrokes but I know that's an essential part of Wooten's sound. I have his DVD. As soon as I get past the basics I'm going to sit with that DVD and learn some of those techniques.

Any other recommendations Ed?

11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Other than the real obvious one? Not really. But just in case you overlooked them. The Scott Mishoe and Tuck Andress instructional stuff.