Sneak peek clip of Zendrive II with 12AX7

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scottl, May 9, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

Hi,

Alf Hermida was kind enough to consider me for R&D ears for his new unreleased Zendrive II. This pedal contains either a 12AX7 or 12AT7 tube for a more organic OD. If does not implement the tube anything like any of the other pedals on the market. My version is an unfinalized proto. Alf dug the clip I sent him so I am posting it. For my tastes, I think I'd like a bit more articulate high and maybe a looser bottom. Probably my recording though. I need to make more clips! I have an original Zendrive here now so I can make A/B clips. Thsi clip was into the Fuchs 50 clean channel and THD cab with Lead 80s.

With no further ado, here is the virgin Zendrive II clip...

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/mayclips/Zen2FirstTestGT12AX7.MP3

Scott

2. Marcello

Marcello Member

sound good, i'd be curious to hear the A/B test. But i remember that the zendrive clips you've posted a while ago were great.

3. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Marcello!

If you get a chance, pop in on my discussion forum. I could use your ear with a question on my latest thread (the reggae one).

Thanks!

Scott

4. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Great tone and playing.......... Alf has good ears!!! :)

5. muddy

muddy Member

ooh, i LIKE!!!! that sounds like it'd really suit my playing! really great, scott! great track! but WHERE are the PIX!!!

ml

6. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Nice, very Robben Ford-ish, very tasty outside playing. I think that pedal is on the way here soon....

7. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

Sounds good scott! I'd be interested in hearing a pedal off/on example... it's difficult to tell how much impact any effects pedal has on a recording unless you can hear the guitar/amp naked first.

Thanks,
    Sean

8. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

Scott the new Zen Drive II and your playing sound fantastic! Kudos to the both of you. :D

9. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Nice open sound in the high end -- but your sound is usually richer in the midrange than this. It'd be nice to hear if it retains that clarity with the mids up to where I'm used to hearing them in your clips.

(Just picking nits, mind ya.)

10. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Scott,

Very nice clip as usual. Great tone and playing.

What setup are you using on the Musictoyz clip that you posted using the Lava Cable? I know I keep saying it, but I think that it my favorite tone of yours. I know, I know...I keep saying that. Just stop getting better and I could stop too! ;) :D

11. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

12. scottl

scottl Member

The Lava clip was my Baker B1 into Fuchs SLX50 into THD 2X12 with Lead 80s. That is it!

Thanks for the compliment. Fwiw, I really like the way I have the Fuchs set up now. It is really rich and articulate.

Scott

13. scottl

scottl Member

I am recording more clips Sean. I'll be sure to do an on/off one. I can tell you that the amp was clean and dry and 100% of the dirt was the pedal. Clips coming soon.

Scott

14. scottl

scottl Member

Agreed.... I need to make more clip of the pedal. Maybe the extra cable was coloring the tone a bit as well.

Scott

15. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Scott,
    Very nice clip! Looking forward to hearing the clean/Zendrive 2 and Zendrive/Zendrive 2 clips. I have a Zendrive out of the first batch from last year, and it seems anyone would be hard pressed to improve on it, at least for what I was looking for in an overdrive pedal. It still amazes me how it sounds and feels like an amp, even at low volumes. From your clip the Zen 2 sure seems to retain those characteristics.
    You mentioned that Alf uses the tube differently than other tube pedal makers. Maybe you, or Alf if you're reading this, can go into this a little further. I remember Bill from Klon telling me that the front end of an amp does not like to see another tube at the input stage. From the sound of your clip Alf has found the way.
    Looking forward to hearing more, and placing my order,
    Rick

16. ahermida

ahermida Member

Rick:

I've heard that comment on amps not liking another tube at the input stage. I use a Boogie SOB when I test/develop designs. The SOB has 2 inputs. The higher gain input basically sends the guitar through an additional gain stage (from 1/2 of a 12AX7) so in fact it is like placing a tube at the "input" from the amp. It would be interesting to get the details behind these comment.

Alf

17. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Alf,
    Whatever the case may be, I thought Scott's clip of the Zen 2 sounded great. You know I love the Zendrive, how different is the Zen 2 and in what ways? Where do I sign up to get one?
    Thanks,
    Rick

18. ahermida

ahermida Member

thanks! I'm have more info on it as I get closer to freezing the design. I think the main point behind this version is that you can tailor de sound by changing tubes. I've had excellent results with JJ/Tesla 12AT7 and Groove Tubes 12AX7-M (Mullard clone). I've also tried real Mullards, RCA, etc and each one brings something different to the pedal.

Alf

19. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Thanks Alf. How cool will that be! Sounds like hours of fun..........looking forward to it!
    Happy Trails,
    Rick

20. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

wow! i didn't even get the first one, now there is a second?
    oh well..