1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

snider, california or chicago...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jujudubluz, Sep 1, 2005.

1. jujudubluz

jujudubluz Member

...help me choose between those.

i'm about to pull the trigger and get one of those but can't really decide on which one would make me a happy camper...

according to jeff, the chicago is the perfect match to a roseboard strat... but hearing the cali clips on his website (played with a rosewood neck tokai s style) almost convinced me to choose that one...

please guys let me know if any of you got to try both amps and what were your impressions, i can't try any here in france.

juju

2. jujudubluz

jujudubluz Member

come on ...guys, help me :)

3. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest sending an e-mail to PerryR if he doesn't reply to this thread. He has owned two Snider amps -- I believe both a Chicago and a New Jersey. He can probably give you some insight into the Chicago.

FVB

4. jujudubluz

jujudubluz Member

do you know a way to get in touch with him...

julien.

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I saw a couple of Snyders at Tone Merchants, I'm sure if you emailed Noel there he could tell you what you want to know.

6. jujudubluz

jujudubluz Member

thanx a lot guys, i'll give em a try

juju

7. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

Those sound samples are pretty close to what I heard there at Tone Merchants. Of coarse the amps sound much better in person.
    I REALLY like the California.... the ducking trem and reverb are really cool ideas......

8. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Hi,

Both are PLEANTY loud for use with a drummer... in fact, id be surprised if you got the amp and aloways used it ont he high power setting with the master on full.... its LOUD... almost as loud as a 50 watt marshall thru the same speakers when run at full power, full volume.

However, the low power setting and the very good master volume allow you to use the amp in all but the most intimate gigs (use a champ or a POD then).

The California is very much a refined Marshall/Vox sound... it has the 3D sounda VOX has when crunched out, but the thump and tightness of a marshall... at lower gain settings, you can get all the semi dirty tones of a vox without the loose, boxy tone that plauges them, and at higher volumes, you can easily get the Brown sound of Van Halen 1, with a potted PAF style humbucker (especially if you plug into a marshall 412 cab with greenbacks)

The Chicago is a much more focused and refined tone, with alot of emphasis on the midrange... think Robben Ford and Larry Carlton.... i would say pedals work better with the California, but I would never want to put a pedal into the Chicago anyway... the tone is so focused and pure, pedals would ruin it anyway. And if you get the eminence wizard in the Chigaco instead of the vintage 30 (which i would reccomend), the amp becomes a BEAST in terms of fidelity and volume.

9. jujudubluz

jujudubluz Member

thanx again guys, i guess it's time to confirm my order with jeff...

i'll let you know... :)

juju

10. PerryR

PerryR Supporting Member

I have a Snider Chicago, the coolest amp on the planet! Those amps are just amazing. What Jeff does with a pair of EL84's will simply blow you away. They are loud, they have huge roar and gain, they have solid bottom and reverb and trem, and a master volume and low/hi power switch all packaged in a single 12 combo.

Like any amp, the bottom line is whether or not the amp delivers the tone you like. And the Sniders have their own tone. Its an EL84 based sound with a preamp design that has huge push to the output section. The output drive/gain is incredible, and essentially the master volume can be used to tame the output section roar and dial in a bit more pre gain at lower volume. The Master works well, and it is possible to get Sexy overdriven tones at lower levels. But disengage the master and let the output section roar for the full Snider impact. This will also allow the amp to deliver all of its dynamic capabilities.

The dynamic capabilities are supreme. I learned this first on the New Jersey (which I owned for several months prior to the Chicago). Compared with a Trainwreck Liverpool I found the Jersey to be as loud and solid and quite similar. The Pool I played was incredible, magic and fully lived up to the hype. The Jersey holds its own, and IMO is more dynamic in the way it cleans and screams from the guitar. You can put your guitar down to 2-3 and get great cleans and then roll it on for full roar. The Chicago's dynamics are very close to the Jersey's. The E84L's in the Jersey give it a bit more headroom and boldness. But both amps give you incredible control from the guitar, including full ranges out of those tone controls.

The Chicago and California both have reverb and trem that get out of the way as you roll your guitar volume up. Very cool.. roll down for cleaner, verby and tremy tones, and roll up for dryer lead tones. The Chicago has more mids, which is what i like and why I chose the Chicago. The Cali is more of a Hendrixy Tone with a Strat, the Chicago is a little heavier in the upper mids. But both amps rock. Put the gain at noon and stand back.

I could go on and on. We have so many cool amps to pick from, and each has there great qualities. What impresses me most about the Snider is its overall collection of great qualities, and how its achieved with 2x EL84's in a 1-12 combo. Its truly a special amp. I don't know much about Jeff, or where this all evolved from, or how he was able to get so much from 2 EL84's, but it sure doesn't take long to realize that these amps are something unique. definitely an amp to check out. definitely ranks at the top of the schwingometer. I have had my Chicago for almost a year, can't speak highly enough about it. My dealings with Jeff have been 1st rate as well.. top shelf.

11. 58gasman

58gasman Member

The California model I tried at the Marin County Guitar show was superb. A great master volume and cleaned up via the guitar better than any amp I have yet played. I was amazed at how big 2 El-84s could sound.

Presently there are 2 amps that I am gassing for and they are the new Komet and the Snider. Unfortunately I can't afford either one.

12. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I'm curious about these too. I heard both the Cali and the Chicago at the San Rafael Guitar show a few months ago. It was at much too low a volume to tell what was what, but looked like very good quality and design.

From the clips and description, I personally lean towards the Chicago.

These aren't cheap, so you better be sure. :(

13. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Jeff Snider is a great guy to be sure...

Perry would you say the amp is plenty loud to cut with a band with just the single 12?
    Have you experimented with different speakers? With a closed back cab?

Sounds like a great rig...

14. Noel E.

Noel E. Member

Not Perry here, but...

We had Jeff do a "little" performance ((to demo his amps) here at Tone Merchants, accompanied by a drummer, bass & keys. The drummer was pretty hard-hitting, and the band overall was pretty loud. Jeff had the amps on the 18-watt setting only, and they more than cut thru...they were just plain powerful! They sounded pretty darn big for little 1x12 combos.

I took a bunch of video footage of the whole thing...hopefully I'll be able to get video clips up on our website pretty soon...the amps sound great (not to mention Jeff's playing is amazing!).

15. Curly

Curly Member

it's great to hear folks speaking so highly of Jeff's amps

I've been taking amps to Jeff for repairs for years, since he's one of the top techs in the area. I know that he used to take old Traynor bass amps and mod them to his own specs, but at one point, he was so swamped with repair work that he just didn't have time to develop his own amps. Plus, sourcing trannies, cabs, and other parts has got to be difficult.

I do remember seeing an early version of the current combo in Jeff's shop, and he got a kick out of the fact that Buddy Whittington had heard the amp, and couldn't believe it was only 18 watts.

Jeff is a great player, and that, combined with his tech skills, makes for a darn good amp builder.

16. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

That would def be something I'd like to see!... Argh, pretty soon? :( :)

17. jujudubluz

jujudubluz Member

hey perry R!

what motivated your choice between the chicago and cali?
    i really dig the clips on the webpage but still feel not really decided since jeff told me that the chicago is a better fit to a roseboard strat...

thanx a lot guys for those informations.

juju :)

18. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I like the New Jersey!

Dexter.Sinister likes this.
  19. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

I got my Snider California in January, 2003...in short, it inspires me to play the guitar everyday. It's plenty loud too...I rarely switched out the master volume in the places/clubs I gigged in...but if possible, I like to run it wide-open. Incidentally, I've used a 56' Relic, a Heritage 535, a G&L Bluesboy, two Grosh's, and now a Suhr Classic and the Snider California worked wonderfully with all (pickup types). Effects also sound great!

The first time I saw Jeff play, I had no idea who he was...in addition to his kick-ass playing, he had a great sound/tone(s). At the time, he was using the "Traynor prototype."

20. PerryR

PerryR Supporting Member

Hey Wichita,

The Combo's are closed back. I tried a few speakers, but the V30 won me. As far as extension cabs, I really think the amp sounds best on its own cab. I tried my new Jersey through a few other cabs and completely preferred the internal cab/speaker. Its dialed, and you'd be amazed at the bottom the these 2 EL84's produce.

As far as volume, it depends on the clean headroom needs. The amp is loud for sure.. definitely closer to a 4xEL84 amp then your average 2xEL84 amp. The clean headroom is where you would hear the largest difference, the amp is warm and the bottom is EL84 tone.. so if you like the warm bottom of EL84's you'd be ok. But if you have problems getting clean bottom out of 4xEL84's, then your not gonna get it from 2. On the other hand, if you find that 4xEL84's gets you into trouble, but 2x EL84's just doesn't cut it, then the Snider is definitely in the ballpark. Personally, I think its a killer club amp, and most likely perfect for any situation where a guitarist likes to keep it simple... in that scenario, i can't think of any amp I'd rather have.