Snouse Black Box 2 vs Prince of Tone

Magmox

I'm looking for another bluesbreaker type pedal. Mainly interested in low gain tones. Which one would be better? The POT has the toggle, the bb2 has the internal dip switches.....

JJO

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't have the Black Box 2, so I can't compare directly, but I've got a POT and a Black Box Duo... They're both great, and to me it depends on application. I find the POT to be a little more throaty/middy than the Black Box. At low gain, the Black Box adds more sparkle/jangle, while the POT adds a little snarl when you dig in.

Lots of completely subjective tonal description there... sorry! The Black Box is more of a traditional Bluesbreaker sound, to me. The new v.2 might give you more control to cover additional ground.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The Snouse BB2 is so new.
Just got mine. In a head to head, I think I would pick the Snouse.
The POT has great tones and the external switch is great if the boost mode is on your palette (a really great setting). The new Black box 2 has so much control on tap with the boost and presence controls.
Price is right during the intro roll out.

I've been happily gigging a Rat for a year. I went with POt's a few cycles ago.

I am loading the new Snouse for this weekend's run with no backup plan.

saltbird

Just ordered a Black Box 2.

Hearing the way that presence knob behaves is way more awesome than I expected it would be. Like, that's exactly the kind of feature I wish several other overdrives I love had. Brilliant.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
57305CA7-A254-4D4C-AD5F-7D2166738D4F_zpsj8mwaonv.jpg

Gratuitous first gig pic. So clean, but just right gritty. Lots of control. I am scared to engage the Bright (vs smooth) dip switch without clean underwear available.

wilto

I have the bb2, use the master like a boost, this pedal gets loud. and back the gain to around 12 sounds transparent i am loving it into my old musicman hd130.

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
57305CA7-A254-4D4C-AD5F-7D2166738D4F_zpsj8mwaonv.jpg

Gratuitous first gig pic. So clean, but just right gritty. Lots of control. I am scared to engage the Bright (vs smooth) dip switch without clean underwear available.

Theo...did the Snouse bump your Rat? I'm happily gigging an Amp11 and Rat, but wondering what the Snouse might add to the mid.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Theo...did the Snouse bump your Rat? I'm happily gigging an Amp11 and Rat, but wondering what the Snouse might add to the mid.

Im on break at my second gig with the Snouse. It is really wowing me in my IEMs. I'd say lots more clarity and very fine control of the gain.
It is also quite a bit better at responding to volume knob controls with my Dimarzio 36th PAFs.
I actually switched back to the 12ax7 pre on my Cub (was using ef86 with the Rat).
I would say it's official, but if someone is looking to buy my Woodcutter... :stir. Or trade for a Surf Green timmy.

saltbird

So I bought the Snooze Black Box 2 expecting it to sound close to my Morning Glory and it definitely does not.

If the Black Box 2 is the exact circuit as a Marshall bluesbreaker plus some added features, then that tells me that the Morning Glory is NOT a Marshall bluesbreaker clone and if it is, it's heavily modded into something noticeably different. Somewhere I read a list of jhs pedals that are clones of this and that and now I know that list is not entirely accurate.

I've only had about an hour with it but so far I like the Black Box 2 for cleaner boost tones. I might be in the minority here but i love using the Morning Glory with the gain dimed, tone knob up around 2ish, and the bright switch on. I could not approximate this sound with the Black Box 2. It doesn't have enough gain and grit as the MG. Even when I dime the gain on it, it doesn't seem to get close (or close enough I should say.)

Anyone with these two pedals have a similar experience or have any suggestions?

I have the version without the dip switches.

saltbird

OK, I did some searching through past threads and found that the Morning Glory has 10 major modifications to the original Bluesbreaker circuit. I think this pretty much explains it.

Now it's time for me to embrace that the Black Box 2 is a different pedal. Excited to do more experimenting with it later.

So I bought the Snooze Black Box 2 expecting it to sound close to my Morning Glory and it definitely does not.

If the Black Box 2 is the exact circuit as a Marshall bluesbreaker plus some added features, then that tells me that the Morning Glory is NOT a Marshall bluesbreaker clone and if it is, it's heavily modded into something noticeably different. Somewhere I read a list of jhs pedals that are clones of this and that and now I know that list is not entirely accurate.

I've only had about an hour with it but so far I like the Black Box 2 for cleaner boost tones. I might be in the minority here but i love using the Morning Glory with the gain dimed, tone knob up around 2ish, and the bright switch on. I could not approximate this sound with the Black Box 2. It doesn't have enough gain and grit as the MG. Even when I dime the gain on it, it doesn't seem to get close (or close enough I should say.)

Anyone with these two pedals have a similar experience or have any suggestions?

I have the version without the dip switches.

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
The Snouse BB2 is so new.
Just got mine. In a head to head, I think I would pick the Snouse.
The POT has great tones and the external switch is great if the boost mode is on your palette (a really great setting). The new Black box 2 has so much control on tap with the boost and presence controls.
Price is right during the intro roll out.

I've been happily gigging a Rat for a year. I went with POt's a few cycles ago.

I am loading the new Snouse for this weekend's run with no backup plan.

LOL, nice reference. I'm in the middle of Catalyst right now. Great book!

I've been using a MBB clone from GGG with the alternate resistors and cap and I really like it. But the new black box is so cheap, I just may go for it.

Snouse.com

OK, I did some searching through past threads and found that the Morning Glory has 10 major modifications to the original Bluesbreaker circuit. I think this pretty much explains it.

Now it's time for me to embrace that the Black Box 2 is a different pedal. Excited to do more experimenting with it later.

The major difference in basic character stems from the fact that the Morning Glory is based on a different circuit revision of the original BluesBreaker pedal. The modifications have minimal effect on the tone, especially with the Bright switch enabled. So you are correct, the BlackBox isn't a Morning Glory and it's not meant to be!

saltbird

Don't hear me wrong. I'm not criticising in the least. Just addressing how different they are at least with my setup. I'm digging the Black Box 2 quite a bit. I got it to be set as a lower gain bluesbreaker since I always use the MG at max gain and that is exactly what it's excelling at. Nice work! I'm excited to hear how the boost knob will fatten up my telecaster.

The major difference in basic character stems from the fact that the Morning Glory is based on a different circuit revision of the original BluesBreaker pedal. The modifications have minimal effect on the tone, especially with the Bright switch enabled. So you are correct, the BlackBox isn't a Morning Glory and it's not meant to be!

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Well hello! Didn't know you were a TGP member..

Count me in for loving the BB2! Keep up the good work. :aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom