1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

So.. A JBL Eon612 for..

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MatchFive, Jan 2, 2018.

1. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

So I'm thinking about a JBL Eon612 for small to medium gigs for a FRFR setup, and as a monitor for larger stuff. The Behringer stuff gets good reviews.

My max budget is around 700.

What do you fhink?

2. radiolab

radiolab Member

I had one. Didn’t like it. It was pretty noisy. It always had a white noise thing to it. Bought an alto210 and couldn’t be happier. Equally great sound and zero white noise

3. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Is your budget $700 for one speaker or two? If one, I would say step up to the JBL PRX series. I had the EON 612s and went to the PRX 712 - big difference! To my ear the EONs are more true than the Altos and better for guitar as the mids are more detailed but the PRX are much more articulate, clean and clear. You can grab one for $600.

mojah likes this.
  4. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I'm using an 12" EON with my AX-8 and it's clear, clean and amazing run flat. At least mine is. Still have Behringers, have to turn the bass EQ waaaaaay down.

5. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

How is the low end on those? I was thinking seriously about one of those but I’m torn between the 10 and 12. Would it work for gigs as a wedge behind you? I have a Fender Fortis it’s killer but too heavy for gigs.

6. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

I like the eon610 for vocals, not a fan for frfr for amp modellers. It makes the modeller too hyped in the upper mids for me. Maybe the eon612 is better.

7. MatchFive

The Yamaha DXR12 is looking pretty good.. Thoughts?

yeky83 likes this.
  8. RandoMan

RandoMan Member

If you’re worried about too much low end, avoid the 12” Altos. I have the TS112 and switched to a pair of TS210s. The 210s are much better for guitar to me. The 112 was too overbearing on the low side without EQ cuts.

Judge Smails likes this.
  9. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

The DXR12's are my workhorse speakers. I have one that I keep in our rehearsal space for live performances, and one at home I use for dialing in my tones. We have three more that we use as vocal monitors...so yeah...I'm a BIG fan of them. They are admittedly pricey, but the only real competition I've seen for their accuracy and response are the QSC K12.2 series, which I'm a big fan of as well.

For a guitar monitor live I place it behind me in a normal backline arrangement but set on the floor in the wedge position. This not only works well for me, but for the rest of the band to be able to hear them. I have the DSL configuration set to the "monitor" configuration to eliminate bass coupling with the floor. I also configure the hi-pass filter to 125 hz mainly due to the fact that all that low end is generally handled by the FOH subs, not that there's much, if anything, coming from guitar in that frequency range. At home I use the same setup, not so much for bass coupling, but it really flattens out the response on the speaker. At home I have it set upright at roughly ear height and positioned about 5 or 6 feet away from me. You need to get some space between you and the speaker so you don't get overwhelmed by the harshness of the horn at close proximity. This is probably why people don't typically sit right in front of PA speakers....lol.

yeky83 likes this.
  10. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

I would try to find somewhere that you could setup you rig and try them if possible. I ended up with a K10.2, and I really like it, but everyone is just going to suggest what they own.

But I would try the DXR12, DXR10, K12.2, K10.2, and maybe the JBL and whatever you can get your hands on.

11. MatchFive

Interestingly even PreSonus has some active speakers, the Air10, Air12 and 15. They have a 6 year warranty.

There's Electro-Voice as well and their a little less expensive, but there's probably a reason for that.

12. MatchFive

Are you finding the low end from the K10.2 sufficient?

13. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

When I used to run a small powered monitor with my Axe-FX years ago, I thought the 10's were lacking in oomph. But powered monitor tech may have greatly improved since then. But the 12" and greater models seemed fine.

Everyone seems to says the Yamaha DXR and DSR speakers are great and a lot of people also like the QSC K.2's.

I didn't want to spend that much, so I just bought a pair of the Turbosound Milan 12's myself. They should be here today. For my needs, the wattage is way overkill, but I like having that extra headroom if I need to turn them up.

Keep in mind, the specs on all of these speakers far exceed what a guitar produces typically. Guitar is usually in the 70-12k hz range at the extreme ends. Many people EQ guitar where the low cuts off at 100 and the highs roll off at 8k or so. All of the cabs mentioned can cover that easily as they start in the 45-50 hz range and go up through 20khz.

Then it just matters how loud you need it to be. 2000 watts is A LOT of power for just guitar.

Judge Smails likes this.
  14. MatchFive

Check this guy out..

15. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

Yeah to me it is, I don't downtune or play 7,8 string guitars, but I have played by bass through it as well and it sounds good.

For me the 10" FRFR is the right combination of size, weight, bass, dispersion, I think it is a good option. If I were going with the Yamaha I would get the 10". I think with a lot of PA speakers that the 12" tend to be too boomy.

16. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

Yeah I mean he is talking SPL, I can't imagine any of these not being loud enough for most people.

It is hard to go off of specs, but the JBLEon and K10 look pretty similiar. I would try them yourself if you can.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  17. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

Oddly enough, whenever someone introduces themselves as "DJ something-or-other" I have a hard time with their credibility. Especially in this case. The issue is NEVER about wattage (which is all he seems to be concerned about), the value is about SPL and clean headroom. The questions I would have for this clown is, what did you measure as the max SPL on each of the speakers? At what point do the limiters come into play on each of the speakers? When you said you reduced the bass, what DSL settings were you using on the QSC?

Personally I think he should take it back. It's technically well beyond him and his particular needs. And I don't even own the QSC so I'm not a fan boy. I am (unlike him) a sound man and a musician, so I don't think there's much he has to offer me when all he cares about is getting the biggest THUMP for his dance crowd.

18. MatchFive

I agree, I just thought his video was amusing. That's why I posted it..

19. MatchFive

Yeah, and according to DJ Expert Engineer I should try the EV's as well..

20. MatchFive

Yamaha DXR12 Vs DXR10. To me the 12 sounds bigger and fuller..