So all of my old D'Addario strings are now crap?

I've had more trouble with D'Addario XL strings recently, than ever before. I'm retuning constantly, strings never break-in. With a locking nut on my Ibanez JS2000 I'm constantly grabbing an Allen wrench because the strings drop multiple pitches just from being stretched? I feel like I've lost my mojo as a lead guitarist - from constantly tuning, and retuning!

What gives?
Buy all new NYXL strings because the old XL120s are garbage?

Advice?

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
Been playing D'Addarios for decades. Did they change something?

I recently tried DRs but don't find them superior and plan to return to the XL

Same here. They seem VERY inconsistent. I'm going to break open the latest new pack I bought and see if it's just string age, I keep several extra packs for backup.

I thought new strings lasted a long time. Perhaps not.

shinksma

I haven't had any issues with any of my recent D'Addario re-stringings. Knock on wood...

Strange. I suppose there is the slightest possibility of a bad batch, and if you bought yours in bulk, you'd get them all from the same batch...

DaveKS

I'd be looking at guitar myself, try a set of EB or others and see if problem goes away. If it doesn't, then it's not the strings. Sounds like to me nut lock is getting worn.

Kelly

Make sure they're not fakes. I got a set recently that weren't wrapped in the package the same as usual, and went dead in 2 days.

mach1

Wow so surprised to see this thread... I thought I was loosing my mind. Seems the last 10 or so XL's I've bought have been crap! Seems like ever since the packaging changed something is different. Flatter sounding, harder to tune and the G is nearly impossible to get precise.
I've used them exclusively for 20 years plus and something is definitely different. :-(

Last edited:

ZepFuzz05

Never had a problem with their strings (new or old) - still my go to brand and sound/feel consistently great.

ksandvik

ELXs have been good to me for a long time...

Anyway, in chemistry, anything could happen with atom bonding and some bad units might sneak out from the factory.

Spooky Action

The problems could be due to lower quality steel on the market. Manufacturers are cutting corners everywhere to keep prices competitive.

J-E-M

Never had a problem with their strings (new or old) - still my go to brand and sound/feel consistently great.
I've been using D'Addarios for a number of years now and haven't noticed any problems.
Same here. My current set has been on for 5 months (the best set yet - they usually last for 3 months); they still sound great, intonation's fine, and they have only just started to corrode - I play about every second day for a few hours. I've had only two of their strings break on me in all the years I've used them.

Maybe some of you guys are getting counterfeit strings :dunno

nrandall85

Hey, I think I possibly started this conspiracy, and I'm happy to hear some others chiming in.

In my opinion, something has changed with D'Addarios, and not for the better.

All kinds of problems.

They've sent me a ton of free sets for bitching so much, but- they have the same problems. They are as follows:

-seemingly different ball end material. Actually had a string break because a ball broke. Weird!

-corrosion on new plain strings. Quite unpleasant to play on random rust patches.

-Constant breaking at the ball end. Particularly on Jazzmasters, but if a GHS can take it....

I've switched over to Webstrings. They sound fine, stay in tune, and if I get a bad set I only paid $2.50 for it.

nrandall85

And- no, this whole "they were probably counterfeit!" thing has got to stop.

All of my crappy strings were purchased from Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, or Guitar Center and I find it hard to believe that it would even be a profitable venture to counterfeit a $3.50 set of strings.

mach1

I'm pretty sure I have never gotten counterfeits due to where I buy them - however I still stand by the "something has changed deal". They are just not the same.

SamBooka

The problems could be due to lower quality steel on the market. Manufacturers are cutting corners everywhere to keep prices competitive.
I had two sets of abnormally bright Chromes in the past couple of years (since I have been able to get over 2 years from a set of chromes that is a lot) I posted in another forum and a gentleman from D'Addario reached out to me and offered replacements. I respectfully declined since strings aren't that expensive and the next set were perfect.

My 2 cents. In a world where really great quality merchandise is made in China and is extremely affordable how can (North) American manufacturers survive? Excellent Customer Service.

TA Weber knows it, Jason Lollar knows it. D'Addario knows it (and I have heard quite positive comments about Ernie Ball as well). They get it.

Last year I bought a set of Klusons that (believe it or not) they had not drilled the string hole in the tuner (the other 5 were fine). When their response was: Send it to us, we will check it out and send a replacement.. Screw that. The store backed me up and laughed and gave me a new tuner no questions. Let just says Klusons are not on the top of my replacement list anymore.

Trending Topics