So, am I asking too much...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintagecrunch, Feb 12, 2008.

1. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I just want to find out if I am being silly or asking too much...

It turns out Saturday I was shopping for another OD pedal to use in conjunction with my Analog Man Maxon OD9, after looking all over town I find out that one of the south austin music stores carries Maxon OD9's and since I remember liking this pedal stock as well, I will give it a try.
    I walk in and proceed to the big glass case with all the pedals and they have one. The owner walks by and I say excuse me, to which he replies "uh what?"... I stand there for a second and ask "Is the Maxon OD9 still true bypass" and he looks at me and says " how the hell should I know"...
    WHAT! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I just stand there looking at him some what slack jawed as he continues to look annoyed and proceeds to yell to someone "this guy NEEDS to know if this pedal is True Bypass". The other guy walks over and looks at the pedal through the glass and matter of factly says "no its not"( well it is actually). ARE YOU KIDDING ME? He can tell through the glass? He then proceeds to talk to the ower as he lectures me about everyones obbsession with True Bypass and that it doesn't sound diffrent and since the original TS9s weren't wouldn't it make sense that they shouldn't be True Bypass....
    Okay I am done... I tell the guy thanks for all of his wisdom and insight and that maybe I should buy else where and proceed to walk to the door.
    I happen to see on of my patients in the shop so I stop to say bye and the owner walks by and belows "Hey Man, is that a 100% cotton black shirt or a Blend? Which one do you think sounds better!" and continues to walk away. I turned around and loudly say "Pardon me, is there a problem here" and walk towards the guy. Just then my wife says my name and I stop, shake my head and realize that maybe Guitar Center isn't so bad after all...
    I mean come on, what happend to customer service and knowing the product you sell? Am I asking too much? And should I have to listen to a lecture about why I am silly for wanting a product? Much less should I be confronted because I dont want to buy from your store?

Well I hate to say it but now I see why Guitar Center is thriving and the small South Austin Music stores are falling by the way side. I dont mind paying more for a product( they actually are much more expensive )in order to get personalized service, but I will not be disrespected because I am informed and want what I want when it comes to gear....

Well, Am I asking too much after all?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Please don't tell you think the guys at the effects counter at GUITAR CENTER will be any more knowledgeable than them.

BTW, I don't think those Maxon pedals are true bypass either, despite what they claim.

3. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

the point is that the guys at the shop were complete jerks. i had a similar experience at a guitar shop in brooklyn. they weren't rude, but one guy did try to tell me that true bypass is all hype when a pedal i was interested in didn't have it.

would one buffer kill my sound? probably not, but i like my guitar and amp, and after hearing what older electro harmonix pedals can do to your tone, i don't like to take chances.

4. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Wow - customer service at it's worst. Really sarcastic dudes.

5. wildstar

wildstar Member

They'd fit right in at some of the shops here in NYC. Totally unprofessional - they expect to make sales this way?

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I've had it with Mom and Pop's myself. Too many experiences just like you described. And usually the prices are outa site.

I'll stick with the guys who want my business: Keeley, Analogman, etc.

7. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I wasn't saying Guitar Center would be more knowledgeable, far from it, just that they might be less confrontational and condescending. I can deal with sarcasm and opinions but this seemed out of line and thats not what this was. I dont always agree with or understand the veiws and wants of my patients but do I isolate and chastise them, I try not to.... Maybe nextime a patient askes me about a procedure or diagnosis I will respond with a shrug and a big "how the hell should I know".

At the end of the day I just wanted to get a little info on a pedal I wanted to buy and the local " mom and pop" that I have heard spewing venom about Guitar Center and Mars before it lost a sale by telling me I was ridiculous for wanting a True Bypass Screamer. Was I?

8. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Funny I've had this sort of experience at guitar center in oxford valley pa & Samash in cherry hill NJ... Salesman that were "MIFFED" to assist you, I guess they dont like commission!! Thats all that can be said..

onto my next spat - The 25 reasons I don't go to GC or samash anymore.

9. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

You are not in the wrong to expect courtesy.

I'd take the less-knowledgeable friendly staffer to any holier-than-thou staff any day. i went into a hole in the wall store for a v-4. They had a v-4b that I was considering, but the guy started chastizing me for wanting reverb at all. He lost the sale and a customer.

Your guy went above and beyond, and he needs his mama to slap him on the head.

10. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

Wow, just, wow.

That is effing unbeleivable. I would have been fuming after that.

I don't think you are asking too much to have a question answered in a polite fashion. I don't think you are asking too much to expect a salesman to know his products.

You don't go into a shop for an opinion - whatever the guys thinks about TB is irrelevant.

What a shower of b&$t&rds!!!:BITCH

11. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

Jeez - hats off to you for keeping it under control. My anger mgt. problem would have taken over, resulting in irrational decision-making. The folks at Guitar Center are generally just as incompetent and uninformed, however, they're at least pretty friendly - sometimes their incompetence works to my advantage when they're selling used zvex pedals for $100. Guitar salesman are the worst, though...without a doubt.

12. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Let's here the name of the store.
    I just feel like calling them and asking some questions about a pedal I'm looking for. :D

13. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've had similar experiences at a couple mom and pop shops here in NC. And even though the guys at GC/Sam Ash might not have been that knowledgeable about the products they were selling, and even though it may have been put on, every time I go to those places they are super nice to me. I'd rather buy at a local place but not if you act like a dick.

14. thesteve

thesteve Member

I'm not surprised they don't know about the pedal aside from what it does. The owner is problem more concerned with his accounting than the details on every peice of gear. Apparently Maxon switched from non-TB to TB in 2004, so maybe that store didn't get the memo yet...here's an article on Maxon's claims to TB prior to 2004: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/maxon.htm

Anyway...I'm not surprised they didn't know...but that's no excuse for the level of douchery you were handed. There's better ways to handle the situation than the way they did.

15. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

So ridiculous. You would likely know the bend of your shirt if you were selling, shirts right. They should understand that the higher end stuff will go to a more inquisitive and informed customer. They've got to step it up to sell the good stuff too right? Brutal.

The new maxon pedals are true bypass to my knowledge. They still run signal when they are switched off and now power supply is connected.

16. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

Mainly because of the mom and pops store in our town, I've always favored the big stores. One reason is the jacked up prices, but I'll give you my story to why I will never set foot in there store. Several years back, my family was in the market for a piano for my sister who was learning how to play. They had contacted the local music store and priced some, but their prices were ridiculously high. They decided to buy from a bigger store in a larger city about an hour away to save money. Somehow the local store found out we bought a piano elsewhere. Since they had our number because we'd been in phone contact with them, they called my parents to chew them out for buying a piano elsewhere. They were saying crap about how my father(who owns a local pharmacy), should be willing to support local businesses instead of buying from somewhere else. For the record, even before that incident, the owners of the music store nor there family had ever been to my dad's pharmacy. That they had the nerve to call our house, to chew us out for buying elsewhere was beyond me. Since then, my family has spent thousands and thousands of dollars on music equipment, none of which has come from the local shop. They forever lost our business.

17. Franklin

Franklin Member

FWIW, I think all cotton tshirts sound better!

:)

I am a customer service snob, so I can't really reply to this thread without raning.....

18. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I've only been to one store where the salesman knew anything about what I was talking about.
    Words like "buffer" and "true bypass" almost always make heads spin.
    In my experience, they seem almost intimidated by someone with more knowledge about their inventory... so they don't give me much hassle.

19. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Yeah... these mom and pop music stores can be hit and miss. I bought a used amp from this store near me, and a week later I came back with it because I was getting some wierd crackles etc. Instead of offering to look at the product, he kept trying to find every excuse to get me out of the store as quickly as possible.... "oh yeah... change the power cord, then come back and we'll take a look at it." Freaking retards... I hope they go out of busines.

But at the same time, you've got Guitar Center... usually polite service, but most of the time, the workers have NO idea when you ask them anything besides "Do you carry such and such a Boss pedal?" I asked if they carried the MXR Micro Amp in stock, and he said, "No, but come look at some of the other small practice amps we carry." ....frickin idiot. If you don't know anything about pedals, work at the front desk.

I'm ready for Guitar Center to start catering toward real musicians and not just high school emo-punk bands. Who the eff is going to buy a Digitech "Grunge Factory" anyways?!?!? Carry some quality stuff, dangit!

20. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Supporting Member

I think the best response in this kind of situation is to let the owner know that you're a doctor, you make a ton of money, you spend it on things that make you happy (like TB pedals) and he can look forward to never seeing a dime of your money. Then ask him for directions to the nearest Guitar Center.

I've actually had some good experiences with m&p stores, but I guess it's always a crap shoot . . .