So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. slaphappygrandpa

slaphappygrandpa Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned, Dan should be able to charge whatever he wants for his work. But the prices that people are asking, just annoys me. Look, I get it. Klons went for what (?) and sell for what? Dumbles sold for what (?) and sell for what? That doesn't mean that I have to embrace it. There is a vendor on tgp (that I won't name) that single handily raised the price on Dan's guitars by $1,000.00 sometime before Dans announcement. I guess that is what started my resentment (which I know can kill you). I spoke with this guy and really talked up Danocasters, and then he figured let's jack up the price and see what happens. I appreciate the forum and the opportunity to vent. I have never stared a thread before, but couldn't help myself. I guess the real conundrum will be when I move my Danocaster.

BJJ&Blues likes this.
  2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I am going with a Dinocaster by Fred Fleins-Tone! An old German guy.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

LA Vintage has them at $6k right now.

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Meh.

sleep, Jaan and skydog like this.
  5. RayRay

RayRay Gold Supporting Member

Doesn’t mean they’re selling for that.

6. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Tempest in a teapot. Only a fool spends $6K on a Danocaster. What's the hope, that in a few years it'll sell for $8K? People are perceiving a demand that I don't think is there.

sleep, SnidelyWhiplash, Jaan and 8 others like this.
  7. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I think a silent... or maybe NOT so silent majority here feel this same sentiment. I certainly was looking forward to ordering a custom build from Dan when he opened up again.

I played a strat of his for sale here. Year or so ago, and it was cool. NOT 6K cool... or even 3K cool... but I dug it. The only builder I thought right now in that vein that superseded him at that point was Jeff Senn, who I really started looking at.

When Ron Thor. Stopped his operation, I never once considered moving my SFC, which was one of his last. It’s a perfect fit, and it was made for me.

I’m sure even Dan is looking at these prices and shaking his head. I can see on one’s side where it’s a testament to his builds, but to me it feels like scalping top seats to the top show in town.

And it won’t last long

psyclist, Jabberwocky and Decal like this.
  8. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

I get the ticket scalping thing it's annoying to me too.

As someone that doesn't own a Dano (love my main strat to much to have any need for another) but really loves the look of them, I'm hoping the rise in price shows the market there is a real demand for relicing that's done in a more realistic way, Gvgc and now Dano, this will hopefully get fender and others to lift there relic game and more talented relic makers to start up. That's a big win for me in terms of increased eye candy.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Jabberwocky likes this.
  9. derekd

derekd Member

Why do you care, OP? You already have one, right?

Supply and demand. While Danocasters are, by all accounts, wonderful guitars, it ain't like Dan is the only person making a high end partcaster. There are easily a dozen makers who are doing excellent work.

I guess I don't understand the angst. What am I missing?

10. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Well, OP, supply & demand, I guess. The supply is now officially finite, and everyone knows it. The sellers know they have something lot of people (like you) want, and they know that no more are going to be made. Of course they're going to try to get as much money as possible. The number value that you personally attach to Danocasters and the perceived number value in the used marketplace are inevitably going to be very disparate numbers. Highest bid wins. No one is likely to sell you one for a comfortable price.

11. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I’m amazed how how many danos have gone up for sale since Dan made his announcement. To me that indicates that so many Dano owners would rather try and make a few bucks rather than keep their guitars that they claim they would never part with. I know for me when I have an instrument that I absolutely love, it’s not worth it to me to sell just to make a few bucks. I guess Danos are not in that category

DRS, sleep, Route234 and 5 others like this.
  12. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Dano's are, those sellers aren't.

makeitstop and Decal like this.
  13. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Well, for instance, after Ronin called it quits, you saw a few Ronin’s go on sale but most people with Ronin’s kept theirs...they wouldn’t part with them. But the amount of danos that went on sale is a lot. To me that says they are more expendable to a lot of folks

DRS, suckamc and Joe Perry like this.
  14. swallowedbyplants

swallowedbyplants Supporting Member

Nah. I own a Dano and a Ronin. The Ronin is in a different category of craftsmanship obviously, so it's apples and oranges. But Ronin had their guitars priced at about the limit of what they could go for. Prices didn't go up any more because there wasn't any higher they could go, imo.

Danocaster, I think, always underpriced his guitars a bit. I mean, not 6k underpriced, but underpriced. Also, there will always be a bigger market for traditional strat and tele type guitars than there ever will be for even the best innovative designs around today, like a Ronin.

I also don't think the issue is that people are throwing them up for sale because the guitars aren't that great. I considered selling my Danocaster at those prices. Not because it's "replaceable," it kind of isn't. It's the best offset guitar I've ever played, including vintage quite frankly. But there's a point where 5k in the hand for a guitar you paid 2k for is hard to resist.

The reason I decided not to sell is because I genuinely don't think I could get a better offset style guitar for 5k. I would have to go through the whole searching out the vintage market for that rare gem thing, and I'm bored of that these days.

GGinMP, tostyj, slowerhand and 2 others like this.
  15. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

They were a great value at what Dan was selling them for. His prices were very fair. I tried quite a few of them, owned one, but honestly, I was more disappointed to let it go given how cool it looked compared to how it played. It played really nice, but compared to Cunettos, of which I've had a few, there was no contest. Even compared to some other Fender Custom Shop team built guitars, my preference leaned more toward the custom shops. That's just me though. At $3500 range and up, I'd go the Custom Shop route.

That said, I've come close, but not had the opportunity to try a Lentz, and a few others that folks rave about on here. I do think the Danos look the best though, hands down. Dan is a freakn' artist.

I'm quite curious to see how much they will indeed settle at, as far as an average selling price goes. It will be interesting to see what Dan offers them at when he starts putting them up occasionally for sale in the future.

Relicula likes this.
  16. AmplifyMe

AmplifyMe Silver Supporting Member

I remember (not too long ago) buying and trying Danocasters for $1600 all day. Cool guitars and he definitely has a system and puts a good amount of quality pro time in finishing what is essentially an over the counter Strat/Tele.
    Once they began being hyped into the mid-upper $2K range I wasn’t remotely interested. Now seeing them at $4K +, well....

Not to suggest anything wrong if it is worth it to the buyer then great, but I am just not seeing the value in a bolt on, mass produced parts guitar with a top in class finish job and set up.

As for individuals or dealers trying to capitalize on supply/demand trends... well that will always be there and it is what fuels the hyped marketing campaigns that creates the likes of EPG, Gibson CS/Fender Master-built and the ‘boutique gear market’.

Is it real, not really. To me.

I will pay though for the right guitar that speaks to me and is built by a luthier or small team that is professional, high quality, original, artistic - with killer tone & playability. Those real artist or master builders that are trying to keep doing what they love and truly appreciate their customers.

Why I always though Thorn and Asher are bargains (meaning reasonable in a sea of overly market hyped knock-offs) for the quality, care, value and their commitment to strive for perfection in their craft. Not to mention extremely fantastic playing and sounding instruments.
    They get hyped too in an attempt to capitalize on trends and garner the highest profit - it just doesn’t originate from them as builders/business owners as it is part of the campaign say for Fender/Gibson or even a little guy like EPG.

Sociophile, Gasp100, grendel and 4 others like this.
  17. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

I figure that's right about where they'll stay at this point (give or take a grand), and I think it's fair considering the quality of Dan's work and the fact that there won't be any more. Since Clif has decided to let go of a good part of his personal stash, he's getting to set the overall price point for used Danos.

And I'm happy to see that the more egregious pricing on Reverb ($20K for a Mongrel, as nice as it is, is just crazy) has more or less fallen into line around that amount.

That said, mine is staying put. I like it way too much to let it go.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  18. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

Just wait for them to start a complaint thread in the pub section about how dead the market is and how all of the buyers are dead beat tire kickers.

19. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Member

Sounds like a great time to buy a Glendale.

rowdyyates likes this.
  20. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

I own a Dano (my profile pic) and if someone offered me $6,000 for it, I would sell in a second.
    I love the guitar, but I'm also not stupid.