So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Less volume.
    Think of a big fixed bias 5e3 / JTM45 hybrid. But unlike JTM45's and 5e3's I like them.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm seriously considering bidding on a couple lesser known pieces.

Already warned my wife.

The bear and Bluesful like this.
  3. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

Bear in mind by the time you add in all the auction/internet fees, there's around a 30% buyer's premium on top of the winning bid amount...

John Hurtt and Teleplayer like this.
  4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yep. I used to buy art at auction. Without getting into details, the winning bid is only the start of your out-of-pocket costs.

derekd likes this.
  5. l.a.vintagegear

l.a.vintagegear Member

John thank you for your post - Clif Jones here . I don't really look thru posts so I just saw this , 2 months later . The guy from Colorado that left me my only ill review . I truthfully can't remember him or the amp and secondly I have never had a charge back on a amp or guitar . The guy doesn't state what he bought . Maybe he wants to refresh our memory or probably just hide behind his computer screen and try and bash whoever as John pointed out I'm not the only victim . The acqusation I called someone a greedy bastard , yes I did . He listed a Danocaster for 10K the night Dan posted his letter . I stand by it , He is a greedy bastard. People are getting on me for the upcharge ? Well in their bashing they forgot to say these were my personal guitars , mint , ordered to my specs and built for me .

I own a high end store with clean , sometimes rare gear and the best of the best in new gear . I really don't care if someone gets butt hurt I didn't discount 20% for them or whatever they feel is an injustice . I single handedly buy ALL the gear for my store . As a matter of fact I have a straight job that enables me to own and supply my store . I sure couldn't pay my bills from profit in the store . I don't come in till 1pm because I'm out working my other gig .

So - If you have a legitimate complaint please call or e-mail me . Don't hide behind your computer screen and troll away . Enough of that cowardness in the world . Boom / Done . Thank You

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 Danos, 1 a spectacular JM offset from LA Vintage a couple of years ago.

Clif was easy to deal with and while some may have different takes on retail pricing, I got a spectacular guitar at a price acceptable to me (my previous Dano came directly from Dan several years ago ).

l.a.vintagegear likes this.
  7. underwound

underwound Supporting Member

I sold a Danocaster about a year before Dan’s announced retirement, and must admit to a brief pang of regret for having let it go so “cheaply.” But looking at what’s happened to the Danocaster used market, at least on Reverb.com, is a little shocking. In fact, the one I sold is listed at about double what I sold it for. I wonder though if they’re really moving at those prices. I see a few recently “marked down” and the same guitars have been for sale for quite some time. I’m guessing the market is smarter than those sellers are giving it credit for. Dan makes a hell of a good guitar, but at the end of the day the purchase of a used Danocaster has to make some financial sense.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  8. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

completed sales indicate that are selling in the $4k range... and many are selling in less than 30 days. I bet your local guitar center would kill to consistently sell any brand of guitars that retail for $4k in less than 30 days.

underwound likes this.
  9. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

the guitars dan is dribbling out at the moment are 3200

10. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Reverb does not show the actual sales price. If a guitar is listed for $4K, but the seller accepts an offer of $3K, Reverb doesn't share the negotiated price. So searching sold listings is useless.

11. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

I know some of the people selling these guitars. They are selling in the upper $3k to $4k range and it isn't taking long to get them sold.

12. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

13. Presc

Presc Member

And literally get snapped up minutes after Dan posts them! Given the instant demand for the new products at $3200, I wouldn't be surprised if used examples are coming in above that.

14. frijoleghost

Sure...looks like the price is solidly below 4k

15. jhumber

jhumber Member

Can anyone clarify the current position with Danocaster builds?
    I got on the list in Jan '19, a few months before he announced he was stepping back from building guitars. I assumed that meant I'd never see my order come through (the list was around 16 months at the time), and was absolutely fine with that, I wish him well in winding down and being in control of his own workload.

More recently I've noticed his instagram is back in swing with new builds. Are these coming from the list or are they more random in nature to use up remaining materials? Are the people who got on the list 9 months before me getting their guitars?
    I never heard anything back via email after the original "you're on the list" email, so 'official' comms have only been what I've seen on instagram.

16. trap

trap Supporting Member

You know what must be annoying is if you’re a builder who makes the neck and body and pickups in house and has to compete with a parts guitar for the same price. That would annoy me. But, whatever.

17. frijoleghost

well, the in-house builder has an obvious advantage in that situation! if he has the superior product, he'll win every time in an open market!

CS'56, trap and Bluesful like this.
  18. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

I'll never understand the 'parts guitars' comments for bolt on builders who outsource necks and bodies.

They spec out what they want, help select wood and inspect each piece before using it. Literally the exact same as if it was just another employee doing it in house. Plus, unlike someone doing it one at a time, they have a pile of necks and bodies and can do some mixing and matching.

I feel like parts guitar is an attempt to belittle these style builders but I'll never understand the difference. Especially when you hear Dan talk about his relationship with who he sources from.

CS'56 and Tim Plains like this.
  19. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Keith Urban was an early customer.

20. trap

trap Supporting Member

The difference is that almost anybody can assemble parts whereas it takes talent and years of experience to build a guitar from scratch.
    Obviously this guy builds a nice guitar but the price to effort ratio is a little off.

mlongano and John Hurtt like this.