So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Data point ... I have 2 I wouldn’t sell for my purchase price x 2. :dunno

IMO they’re in a top rank of their kind and not necessarily fungible with other “partscasters” ... :YinYang

luckily I have other ways to find $6k, if I need it, before selling one of them. :cool:

2. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Member

They are a well assembled, expertly reliced $2500 guitar , no matter what someone might ask. Without the relic work, they wouldn't have had half the notoriety, IMO.

3. Zado

Zado Member

I fear you're right.

4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Vote with your wallet.

Joe Perry and cosmic_ape like this.
  5. big mike

Really nice pro built partscasters with a cool finish technique was my take.
    The ones I played were very nice. It's not earth shattering though, it's a strat/tele. Lots of builders. Dan had/has a nice niche.

Original_Fire, Jon C, derekd and 2 others like this.
  6. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Member

The idea of one of these expert builders is "on another planet" is a bit silly. Many fine builders of bolt on guitars. And Dan was one of them.

Jabberwocky and derekd like this.
  7. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything that is said to you. True power is sitting back and observing everything with logic. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breathe and allow things to pass.
    Bruce Lee

8. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I really don't see the logic, as there are plenty of suppliers. Dan did great work, look and feel is authentic, but you can find plenty of suppliers for this type of stuff.

I roll my own with MJT, Allparts, Musikraft, etc. They look fine, play fine, cost a heck of a lot less than $2K

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I think people should sell them for what they can get for them. Is that really 6 grand, and have a good chance of selling it? Don't know, it appears to be the general range of the asking price right now.

Dan's announcement triggered a bit of a selling frenzy obviously. It also triggered a bit of a "OMG, I want one!" frenzy among potential buyers. That's to be expected. But I have to think most of the sellers think that that pricing isn't going to last. Otherwise, why pick now to sell them? Probably most don't really think they're going to sell at that price either, it's more of a "hey, it's worth a try" kind of thing IMO. They sure don't expect the prices to shoot up, or they'd wait.

My prediction--once the dust settles, in how long I don't know, 3 to 3 1/2 grand will be the general going price for them.

Interesting with the LA Vintage ones, the owner says the six he put up were from his personal collection of ten, he's keeping four. And he did sell one, presumably for the asking price of 6 grand, but that's not for sure and that's of course his bidness.

derekd likes this.
  10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Economics 101. *All* things should be priced as high/low as possible to sell the supply that is available. How high or low is determined by the demand side against the number/supply of that particular thing. And demand can spike *of course* due to knowledge that that thing will eventually be unavailable.

If you bought a toaster for $30 and after some time its well known for being the highest quality toaster there is... now collectors regularly pay $3,000 for them. What would you charge for it?

derekd and skydog like this.
  11. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

Wait a year or two, they’ll come back down

12. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

100% agree. They're partscasters, people. Hand relic'ed, not handmade. That said, RUST guitars are still alive and well via Matt Brewster at 30th St, and let's just say "they hold a candle" for sure.

13. Presc

Presc Member

The thing that separates Dan is the aging work - I think most agree that his finishing stands on a level with few others, let alone his original price point. Those aesthetics created a gotta-have-it factor, hence the wait list. And now that there’s no more supply, prices went crazy.

People can charge what they want and there’s nothing wrong with that. That said, it’s a weird market because it’s small enough that one player can legitimately corner it (as the individual you referenced did).

At the end of the day, lots of good Strat and Tele makers out there, so it’s hard to feel too offended.

I wouldn’t sell mine for $6k. I like the guitar, am not sure what I’d get as a replacement that’s as cool, and picking up a couple Gs isn’t worth giving up what was a dream guitar I waited well over a year for.

Decal and Tony Foran like this.
  14. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I owned one Danocaster (a Freakin'-era T) that I would pay $6k to buy back now. I was offering $4k when they were going for $2000-2300 with a WTB ad on the forum. Is it really "worth it"? No, but I recorded one of my favorite songs on that guitar, so to me it is.

But the rest of this is just for prospectors and people with FOMO.

Jon C likes this.
  15. Route234

Route234 Member

I think Dan is walking away with demand still pretty high. I believe him that he had a waiting list and that he didnt walk away because of a lack of demand or his prices being too high. He could have probably even raised his prices a bit.

Ronin stopped building because of a lack of demand Id imagine. Their guitars do not hold their value. The two companies are not comparable to me. I dont see a Ronin ever going up in value because the price point they sold for is about as high as a guitar can get for what they were selling. Even now they go for less used than they did new after they announced stopping taking orders.

Id wager if Ronins went up in value people would sell them and I actually have always seen plenty of them on the used market for less than they sell for new which is always a bad sign.

slowerhand and derekd like this.
  16. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

i'm not annoyed - why should i be? why should anybody be? i was happy to pay 2300 for my one-off hardtail strat and happy to wait 9 months for it...i was disappointed to order a bitchin ass mongrel and have dan pull the plug, but hey...lotsa guitars in this world, right?

btw, i'm a tele player and ordered a dano strat just for kicks because i thought they looked so cool...now i love my dano strat, but i'm still a tele guy, and i'm not sure i'll take my dano to the grave (hint hint 6k is a rockin deal)...

derekd likes this.
  17. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

This is pretty regular stuff. Prices will adjust, eventually.

What this whole Danocaster saga has taught me is this: if you dig it, get it while you can.

derekd and mute like this.
  18. big mike

Learned that when a certain someone started getting paychecks with a big F in the top corner. ;)

19. Decal

Decal Member

I got mine because I wanted a custom shop, but didn't want to pay that much for an non-original bolt-on.

I was aware of Dan, Jeff Senn and Jonathan Wilson (GVCG) from here. The going price at the time was $1850 for a Dano.

I looked at his Smugmug photos and out of dozens and dozens of guitars there were only 2 that didn't make me drool. The metallic finishes floored me. There were plenty of threads full of happy fan-boys and mid-level bands were touring them.

His batting average on customer service, sound, feel, playability and looks was very high. The amount required to get on the list made it easy to take the plunge. I'm really glad I took the chance because it is the best guitar I have ever played. If I re-sold, which I won't, I wouldn't gouge anyone.

If someone else wants to exploit an opportunity to make a large profit, that's up to them.

It was great to meet him and his wife, and his explanation of what motivated and inspired him, and insight into his production process was genuine and heart-felt.

20. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I still cry myself to sleep thinking about it. I got on the Thorn train so late, I guess I should be happy I got at least one.

macmax77, Jeff Gehring and big mike like this.