So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

This is incorrect. The reason they’ve stopped building (for now) had nothing to do with that, as shown by the slew of orders they got when they announced they were closing. There were other things in play.
    As for the value aspect, some sell for less and some hold pretty good value... just like a Thorn or Huber or Yanuziello or most any other builder who makes highly custom guitars that don’t look like old Fenders. :aok

2. Route234

Route234 Member

I watch the market and honestly I would not put their guitars in the same sentence as those other builders you mentioned for quality or price retention.

3. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Me too, but in reality, one is all I need.

4. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

As someone who has owned multiple Ronins, Thorns, and Yanuziellos, I respectfully disagree. But to each his own. :beer

El Vee, magnus02 and TDJMB like this.
  5. Jerrod

Jerrod Member

LOL. That hole you're talking out of isn't your mouth.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

People can ask what they want. It doesn't mean it will sell.

derekd and Jabberwocky like this.
  7. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

This thread made me laugh without even reading any comments. Ha Ha

8. riscado

riscado Member

Considering how LA Vintage gear, they're only dealer, has pushed new prices to 6K... then I'm not surprised everyone else is doing the same. I sure know I have raised the price on mine.

9. REDFIVE

REDFIVE Supporting Member

I had two of the Dano offsets. They were fine guitars and sounded really nice. They were without a doubt the 2 best looking guitars I've had. However, They weren't in the "Never sale" category of guitars for me, and there was too much money tied up in them to keep them.

For disclosure sake, the only guitar that I own that is in my "Never Sale" category is my upgraded J Mascis Jazzmaster. I paid around 600$ for it and it holds it's own soundwise (not aesthetics or playability) with any of them. Even if I sold it for 600$, I'd be looking for another. Whether that degrades your opinion of my experience with the two Danos is up to you.

macmax77 likes this.
  10. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Boutique guitar arbitrage is not something I would get mixed up in, there is a certain point where you are spending a few extra thousand on the perceptions of people on forums. I'd rather spend < $2k on boutique guitars that are stupid undervalued.

El Vee likes this.
  11. Zado

Zado Member

I remember, not sure if happened here, a certain "builder" that used to sell his guitars for 3~4k... Those were later discovered being partscasters made out of chinese parts and then finished, yet before the truth came out everyone who purchased one was super impressed with em

AmplifyMe likes this.
  12. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

happens.

Which as I've said in another thread is why I suggest doing your homework.

13. The bear

The bear Member

The only Danocaster I have tried was a strat and it sounded dead. I preferred a G&L Legacy I played side by side. 6K is just stupid, as far as I know they were parts guitars? I am sure there were some good ones and he seems like a nice guy, but it’s not realistic. Not sure why there was so much hype to begin with. So many other options these days that IMO sounds and play better and can be had for much less, Fender CS, Lentz, Grosh, Mario Martin, Glendale, G&L even.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  14. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

I've never seen a Danocaster that didn't look amazing, to me, that's the difference. His relic work, aging, is top notch. There are Fender CS guitars that look as good or better, but then there are a lot that look ridiculous. Same for some other builders, some good looking ones, and then a bunch that just look truly absurd.

Looks wise, there were no dogs with Dano. I think it would have been great if Dan had gone to Fender CS to train to become a master builder/finisher. Cause his finishing talent is truly remarkable. I don't know if he shaped his necks or bodies at all, or just did finishing, assembling, and set up work.

Playability wise, I prefer Fender, they feel more alive to me, but that's very personal. The Danos have a different vibe. I'm very curious about Lentz, given how many folks here are just rabid about them.

G&L put out stunning guitars for the price point, but I find they're often on the heavy side, and the fret size, and poly finish aren't for everyone.

15. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I've never understood the Dano thing, and I certainly don't understand $6K for one. Get another nice partscaster and call it a day. Get an MJT finish, if you want a relic.

The bear likes this.
  16. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

a lot of tromping on danocaster lately it seems...a number of well-known and talented professionals play danocasters, so they're probably pretty good guitars...

slowerhand, El Vee, mute and 2 others like this.
  17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Really, I didn't know this. Who?

18. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Yeah- there’s that country player from Australia who married a really hot woman. Can’t remember his name, but he has a Dano. Can anyone help me on this?

coffeecupman likes this.
  19. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

angus black, i think

20. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Keith Urban
    Julian Lage
    Lucinda Williams' guitarist Val McCallum

derekd likes this.