So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Yep- either that or black angus! I remember now- Keith Urban!

2. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

urban keith, that city-dweller

pjs ire likes this.
  3. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

neal schon, one of paul's guitarists, rusty anderson...

makeitstop likes this.
  4. Shark21

Shark21 Silver Supporting Member

I owned Nextel stock when they launched "push to talk". I enjoyed a huge capital gain. I feel like sitting on five Danocasters is a very similar situation. They are fantastic. Demand will dictate the price they command. I sold the Nextel stock. Not sure I'll ever sell one of the Danos. Those pissed about an overnight increase in equity should remember they are only mad because they don't have Danos. I'm just sayin'.

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Thanks!

6. jerrymc1966

jerrymc1966 Supporting Member

I’ve owned 15 Danocasters, both Freakin’ and post. Found the post better. The highest I paid was 2k, but most at 16-18. Most were worth it at that price. These are partscasters with an excellent relic job (if not for the relicing they’d be 1200 guitars today). Dan was not cutting his own wood, winding his own pups and were not set any better than a fairly large group of other builders. And they came with a cheap gig bag worth about 3 bucks. If I would have kept any/all I’d have all 15 for sale for 3k without looking back.

iamdavea and coffeecupman like this.
  7. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

A good friend and player once told me that he didn't think ANY solid-body guitar was worth $1k, much less more, compared to a good acoustic or archtop. I understood where he was coming from, but I have voted differently and often with my wallet. Let's face it, we buy gear because we freaking love guitars. It's an emotional thing, like art and relationships. To each their own.

I've owned and played regular production F models, played custom shop variants, and plenty of other smaller builders, but I have never encountered any F-style guitars that immediately felt so good and looked as good as Dan's relics. Not even close. That meant something to me and still does.

I purchased my first Dano, a blackguard, and was hesitant about the whole relicing thing, so I asked for a "played but loved relic job." What I ultimately received was so night and day different from my #1, a 52RI, that I immediately listed and sold it. I also listed my EJ Strat for sale the same day. My next Dano was a JM style offset and I have to say it is one of my best guitars and something that I will never sell. Not long after receiving that one, I put in another order for my third Dano, a glorious 3-tone sunburst doublecut, which is in my Avatar (although low quality doesn't begin to highlight all the finish cracks and aging). For that one, my last Dano, I encouraged him to relic-away and do what he thought was appropriate. I can't tell you how many people who saw that guitar on Facebook or here have asked to buy it. That's another one that I will likely never sell.

Regrets? Not for buying any of these, just for never getting around to ordering a double-bound burst Tele from Dan. I might consider trading my blackguard for one of those, just because of aesthetics.

And, fwiw, I remember a period when I kept seeing Danocasters on ACL and on CBS Saturday morning, not to mention posts from Dan about his latest creations going to various session players and well known musicians, so I don't think that short list above is a full or complete list of actual paid professionals using his guitars.

makeitstop likes this.
  8. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Exactly, the money people are paying for a USA Custom parts guitar is stupid. I don’t care how great the paint job is the headstock is wrong.

9. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Protocaster.

shallbe likes this.
  10. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

If I can have a builder lavish a ton of attention on a relic job, or fretwork, I know which one I'm picking.

11. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions

is this thread some kind of weird humble brag?
    there is no need to feel resentment towards others for buying and selling gear as they see fit. weird that it should annoy you and you feel resentment towards the market place.
    you "spoke with a guy and really talked up Danocasters and then he figured let's jack up the prices and see what happens". How does this figure into the current valuation and why do you think your conversation had anything to do with it.
    at the end of your OP your biggest concern is how much you'll have to sell your Dano for.

12. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Yikes. IMO that is a bad look and would steer me away from buying anything from them. I get that there is a demand and that it is a free market and they raise the price however they see fit, but this is downright greedy and doesn't sit well with me.

Thwap, lifeson1 and jerrymc1966 like this.
  13. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

^^ Physically it's a nice store, good layout and some lovely gear, but in my experience (and others who have reached out to me), there are much better options when it comes to choosing a shop that respects its customers. The owner will be the first to tell you about business principles, the market, etc, which is fine for those who view musical instruments as widgets.

14. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Yeah, I get that they are trying to run a business and it can be difficult, and never judged them on the markups they did in the past for not having to be on a wait list and thought that the price was still aligned with the quality of the instruments, but $6,000 is just too obviously greedy. They could have marked them up to $4000 and I wouldn't be posting about them making an extra thousand on the end of their dano inventory, but more than doubling the price on an already very expensive instrument just isn't good ethics imo. Not to mention that it drives up the price in the secondary market as well since they are the only official distributor. Im not sure how Dan feels about this and would be curious to know his input, although I know it wouldn;t be professional for him to speak foul about a company he has worked with for so long.

I used to want a Danocaster and now realize that I will never own one, so maybe part of this is a little butt hurt about that reality. Looks like I am likely going to go with a NOS Grosh at this point as my next guitar, which are fantastic guitars that are about half the price.

15. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

I could be wrong, but I have my doubts they'll sell at the $6k point. My guess is more like half that, or mid 3's. But we'll see how it all pans out...

Thwap and derekd like this.
  16. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

And yeah, it does feel kinda weird... cause he's the dealer. Is he cutting Dan in on his new pricing structure? I wonder...

17. The bear

The bear Member

And on top of that Grosh makes a better sounding and playing guitar that's not just a parts guitar. The NOS Grosh tele I played sounded fantastic, neck and fretwork was on par with Collings. The Danocaster strat I played sounded dead(probably because of the wood on that particular guitar). Played ok, but no better than a Fender American Professional...

fretnot likes this.
  18. Shark21

Shark21 Silver Supporting Member

There are some really weird assumptions in this thread about how business is conducted and how markets work. A person that's "mad" about "greed" in a simple supply and demand correction due to market forces (no ongoing supply) should remember that how someone feels about owning a Danocaster is just the reason the price will increase dramatically or not. Carping about someone else's windfall or, conversely, a decline in value really has no effect on the market itself.

C'mon, guys. "Not good ethics" at L.A. Vintage? Please. I bought this Danocaster from L.A. Vintage for a premium of about $450 over what Dan was charging at the time. It never once crossed my mind that I was being ripped off. I, actually, remember having a great conversation with Clif about how him having Danos readily available (him making the investment) was great. And the idea that Dan should enjoy the increase in guitars sold by L.A. Vintage only stands to reason if he should get some of the increase in value every owner enjoys that sells in the future.
    [​IMG]

19. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

The issue with L.A. Vintage Gear is that he apparently private messaged a seller on Reverb and called him greedy for raising prices after Dan announced his intention to quit. Then, a short time later Clif listed his remaining Danocasters for $6,000, a hefty premium over what he paid for them. It's a bad look for him, and, furthermore, the market isn't supporting those prices.

20. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

There are other issues with that shop, it's not just his pricing, it's how he treats people. He was nice to me the first time I was in the shop, but I had a bad experience with him, as have others. I try to be pretty chill, willing to give most folks plenty of leeway, but when someone is sleazy to me, I feel the need to call it out. I had recommended his shop to a lot of people, so after I went through what I did, I felt pretty bad about sending other people his way.

The hypocrisy mentioned above, calling out others for price gouging while you do the same, well, it's not a good look is it?