So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I own one and truly love it. No interest in ever selling it. Prices are coming down. A few on Reverb are now in the 3’s

derekd likes this.
  2. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

@John Hurtt So are you Cliff from LA Vintage? There not many apologists out there for this guy and it's well known that he treats people very poorly.

Anyway here's the pic and story on a Yelp review. No one is making this stuff up man. It's not fake news that LA Vintage is a pretty lame place.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-vintage-gear-burbank

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Sorry...not Cliff from LA Vintage. I've never even bought anything there. I have been to the store a couple times over the past few years, and Cliff was not there either time. Though, the last time I was there I spent some time listening to Allan Hinds playing a 50's Goldtop LP through one of the Two Rock amps that were there. He sounded pretty happening and worth the trip alone. I don't consider myself an "apologist" for anyone, frankly. I have no personal bad experiences, and until I saw this thread those that I know spoke very highly of both Cliff and the store. I just feel it is hypocritical to tell a business that they shouldn't make as much money on a product as they can, when most are more than happy to take advantage of gear blowouts when something doesn't sell.

Edit to add: I just reviewed the link, and the posted info does look bad though all I could see (maybe it's a work deal) is what is listed as "LA Vintage" comment. Don't know what the item is or the context. I did check the guy who left the review, and he has one other review that he left for Guitar Mill for a body and he absolutely roasted them. Maybe there is more to the LA Vintage story than we know?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

All I'm going to say about this topic...
    Since I know @John Hurtt in real life, I can attest to the fact he's not Cliff. :D

Jon C, derekd and RayRay like this.
  5. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

How do you feel about him sending unsolicited messages to sellers on Reverb attacking them? Does that speak highly about Cliff and his store?

6. John Hurtt

You lucky bastid! :D

7. big mike

One bad review
    One good review from regular guy
    One good review from dan boul.

Not sure yelp is an accurate or applicable place to rate music stores :p

Shop with the wallet

Being pissed of at a dealer because of a beef between the owner and one guy is a little much.

My personal take would be that they’re both wrong from what I’ve read.

Jon C and John Hurtt like this.
  8. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

See. This is where LAvintage messed up. What happens when they sell a couple at $6000 and then the market value drops and everyone else is selling them for $3500-4000. They have to pretty much stick to the $6000 asking price or drop the price and really screw over the people who bought it at $6000.

9. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

It's just incredible that people see what Cliff did to someone and think it's cool. I guess I can go and dig up all the other crap people have said about him to shore up the Yelp example, but in the end the people who are apologists for him probably think it's ok and cool to call people greedy bastards through private messages. In my opinion people who stand up for him are probably rude and shady as well. Let it be known that this is not directed at anyone on TGP of course being that we are not allowed to disparage anyone on this board.

10. John Hurtt

:rolleyes: Of course not...

11. big mike

My question is, was it you that got the private message?

You're kind of making a big tadoo out of this. I'm not seeing anyone defending anyone (i'm certainly not)
    Both things can be true. He could've done In my opinion, a dumb thing, and still be a reasonable retailer.

I have no idea since I wasn't party to the messages, and I've never set foot in his store, nor am I shopping for anything so I doubt I'll buy anything anytime soon.

I'm pretty much as unrelated to this issue as they come from a consumer standpoint.

derekd likes this.
  12. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

No it was not me it was an acquaintance from CO where I live.

John Hurtt can't answer this question

"How do you feel about him sending unsolicited messages to sellers on Reverb attacking them? Does that speak highly about Cliff and his store?"

I'm sure it's all fake news folks. Clif is probably a great guy. We can move on.

13. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

The Cliff dude is human like anyone else. He's capable of being a jerk and being a good guy. My personal experience was that he was pleasant enough the first time I went to the shop. So I told people I knew to go there, check out the selection, all that, in hopes of supporting a small independent business. Cliff didn't put any pressure us to buy anything, and welcomed us to try anything we liked. If that was my only experience, I would continue to recommend him.

I won't get into details about the second experience, but in my opinion, he was very weaselly in how he tried to beat me down on a price. I don't care that he tries to get the best deal he could, that's fine, but there comes a point where you can cross a line into sleaziness. A person is only as good as their word, I took him at his word, and that turned out to be a mistake.

I didn't want to bad mouth Dan's one and only dealer, but one way or another, it came out that I wasn't alone in my sub-par interactions with him. Which is too bad, cause I like the shop and I would rather people succeed.

I think his putting Danocasters to $6k illustrates, as I mentioned early, the difference. Dan could have cut off the order list, taken his last batch, and offered them all at $6k. And there are people here who would say, damn straight, that's business. It's his right. And they would be correct. But Dan isn't that kind of guy. Cliff, on the other hand...

We can choose what type of business people we want to deal with. I prefer the Dan types.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Thwap and SuperSilverHaze like this.
  14. magnus02

magnus02 Member

As a former Dano owner and fan of him and his work I'd say that I personally wouldn't pay more than ~$3,500 for one. Great guitars, obviously the finish is a huge appeal, but I personally couldn't justify more knowing what other options exist (I really like Revelator and have owned a few).

I think the market will tame. He built a lot guitars and this is quick speculation not based on wild offers from buyers buy sellers guessing how high it'll go.

As far as LAV goes, I personally think it's a turnoff to me. Yes, I believe in a free market. I'm a business owner and charge a fair price for my time and efforts. But, as stated, I feel like Dan's ethos was building and selling for the most fair price he could while running a successful business. He could have charged more years ago but it didn't seem to be his motivator. And we all appreciated that.

If he blessed the $6,000 price then no worries on my end. All clear.

But if he didn't get Dan's blessing or discuss it with him then that's feels a little off to me.

Most businessmen I enjoy working with have a set value for their time markup for their goods and stick to it. I build multi-million dollar facilities and commonly find clients who don't know what these things should cost and would overpay. I gladly tell them what it should cost and give them a fair price. In the long run, I get loyal customers who appreciate my attitude and it turns into long-term business relationships that I enjoy and give me residual income.

It's not as simple as the 'free market'. There are ethics and well. And sometimes actions speak about who you really are and what your motivations are.

But I don't know cliff and wouldn't assume the worst. But it's all a little questionable

15. RayRay

RayRay Gold Supporting Member

John shouldn't have to answer that question. He (as far as I know) doesn't know the details (i.e., the facts) so he very rightfully has the option to decline to comment on your question.

What do you think he's going to say though? "I think it's AWESOME that he (allegedly) sent verbally abusive messages! Whoo hoooo!" ?!?!?!?!? No, no one in their right mind would say that. So I'm not sure into what corner you're trying to paint him... but it's weird.

El Vee and derekd like this.
  16. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

The facts are that Clif sent a message out of the blue calling someone a "greedy bastard" which is objectively a crappy thing to do to someone. Then Clif marked all of his Danos way up and quite a few of us think that's ******. Some around here seem to think that's awesome.

17. derekd

derekd Member

[​IMG]

18. John Hurtt

Thanks RayRay, and you're right...I don't know the facts. This has been a very strange thread. I'm also not understanding why @off2kamp is so angry and quick to call others names...

RayRay likes this.
  19. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

I just finished a bottle of my go-to inexpensive bourbon, Henry McKenna 10 yr old, Bottled in Bond. I was buying it for under $30, but now that it won a couple awards people bought up all the stocks and/or stores bumped the price up to $75 - $90. I could bitch and moan about those sellers (nothing gained), pay the higher price (no, thank you very much) or move on to a different bourbon. The Dano pricing is the same thing.

Fortunately I still have one bottle of McKenna left, and one Danocaster.

joesnewmatch and derekd like this.
  20. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Dan has historically raised the price on his guitars. I'm sure the distillary did the same, albiet more.

It would be more accurate for you to say that your liquor store was the exclusive seller of that particular bourbon and decided to mark it up to $90 a bottle from $30 despite the fact that they are buying it for the same price as they always have. That would be greedy.