So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Dan has historically raised the price on his guitars. I'm sure the distillary did the same, albiet more.

It would be more accurate for you to say that your liquor store was the exclusive seller of that particular bourbon and decided to mark it up to $90 a bottle from $30 despite the fact that they are buying it for the same price as they always have. That would be greedy.

2. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

You really need to drop it and move on. You said your piece

Jon C and RayRay like this.
  3. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Member

You guys kill me that want to tell others how to price their stuff. Just open your own guitar brick and mortar shop and give us such good deals that you run all the ones you despise out of bidness. Other than that, quit whining about other people that are actually doing stuff.

If his prices are too high...don’t buy from him. It’s just as simple as that.

It’s easy to be the holy roller price leader when you have no store, no inventory, no over head, no competitors, etc. just you and your moral high ground giving away you prime inventory to people you deem worthy at low margins.

Give me a break!

4. Shnook

Shnook Member

My only question here is will a proper hardshell case come with that $6000 Danocaster or will it be shipped in that flimsy gigbag?

My short lived ‘dream Danocaster’ excitement died within 1 minute of getting my S Style out of the gigbag after a week in route from CA to VA. The worst neck twist I’ve ever seen in 36 years of guitar experience. To Dan’s credit, he took care of it immediately. But I was soured by replacement time.

5. Jay K

Jay K Member

What does annoy me are the price hikes on '59 Les Paul bursts.

trojanhov and ford like this.
  6. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I’m not surprised about a lot of the inflation, I guess I’m a bit disappointed. When Ron Thorn closed down, I don’t remember such a spike. And his product was in no way inferior to Dan’s. He didn’t relic as much, which is the ‘in’ thing nowadays, but did his own woodwork and paint, and has some amazing original tales in classics and innovative newer models.

Dan basically bought bodies from Guitar Mill for around $95 , had a solid neck carve, and then his artistry was centered around the finishing. They just don’t sound in the same league, and that’s where the disappointment lies.

I guess if John Mayer or JB, or YGP flavor of the month champion/scapegoat played one regularly it would be different for us on the cost side.

I’m not saying they don’t play well, feel and sound great, but if people are charging twice as much, which would sit you comfortably in a REAL Fender CS, I find it laughable.

Glad to see prices are coming down, the inventory online certainly is now a log jam.

Reality is setting in. But for LA Vintage even to be hiking up for new inventory... that’s just unethical.

SuperSilverHaze likes this.
  7. magnus02

magnus02 Member

The mark ups/down on Reverb right now are hilarious.

Seems like reason is kicking-in pretty quickly here.

SuperSilverHaze likes this.
  8. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I just sold my dano blackguard to an overseas buyer for 5 figures.., yes it's all true folks the market has spoken. Let me tell you about the time my cousin and I got backstage at a Taylor Swift concert.....

9. Rumblemeister

Rumblemeister Gold Supporting Member

This thread makes me feel better. Looks like I dodged a bullet this week. Made an offer on a Dano T which was rejected. Not that it wouldn't have been worth it but this news is still hot off the press really - need to let the market settle. My rationale (if you need any let me know, I'm really good at justifying impulse expenditures post mortem) was that a Dano is at least as good if not better than a Fender CS at an equivalent price. Really wish I would have ordered the T when he was still in business. I have an S and it is all that to me.

texrun38 and derekd like this.
  10. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I'll say that I've always kept an eye on lavintage just to see what they had in stock.
    I'd played a few Danocasters, and they were pretty good, so it was an option.

But personally, while I believe it is lavintages right to ask whatever they want for their inventory....

I have to agree, when I saw the 6k price, I felt like it was kinda sleazy.
    And that's fine, I buy exclusively on line, and lavintage is off the list FOR ME.
    No big deal for either one of us I'm sure.

11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I don't think that Dano's are equal to Fender CS at equivalent prices...not close. The Fender will also hold it's value better over the long run, IMO.

derekd, lifeson1 and Thwap like this.
  12. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have zero problem with stores or individuals marking their guitars at any price point. As long as they are honest about what they have, then the market/buyers will decide if the price is worth it.

Yam the BOMB, derekd and Tony Foran like this.
  13. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Well, it's a fad/fashion market, after all. Danocasters were expensive to begin with, and while they haven't increased in value for any structural or material reason, now that they are limited, the "I have one" needy crowd will pay much more. Klons are a bit different in that they were not copy pedals to begin with, and had a few then-uncommon features, like the charge pump, ganged controls, and carefully selected component values. They were both different and better, while Danocasters are anything but different, and (perhaps) marginally better. I bought a Klon for $400 and sold it a decade later for $2000 and replaced it with a KTR because I play and do not collect. But I would argue that for collectors, an original Klon is a different thing than a Danocaster, which is not an original.

ford likes this.
  14. runningman

runningman Member

I'm having trouble understanding the butt-hurt reactions from hiking prices on a suddenly scarce item.

If you own an art gallery and one of your in-demand artists dies suddenly, of course the prices go up. Would anyone seriously push back on that decision?

Also, consider this...

If these guitars are so wonderful and are destined to be sought-after in the future, you would think their values would appreciate over time, and that they will be worth more in the future.

If this is true, why aren't owners holding them for the investment value? Seems to me the smart money sells when prices are likely to fall, not the other way round...

derekd likes this.
  15. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

Dan's not dead and he's still building guitars and has stated he will continue for the near future. At some point in the slightly more distant future he's going to stop but as of today there's no difference in availability from before his announcement. There's no scarcity here. It's all speculation, driven in large part by one person who thought he could gouge the market due to a perceived scarcity that so far doesn't exist.

magnus02 likes this.
  16. runningman

runningman Member

So
    So I can order one?

derekd likes this.
  17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

It's my understanding that no, you cannot.

derekd likes this.
  18. derekd

derekd Member

Hence the scarcity @guitarlifestyle is denying.

It is simple market economics whether we are talking guitars, art, or some limited edition article of clothing.

The market, aka the buying public, will set the purchase price, not some resale shop or handwringing posters on TGP.

John Hurtt likes this.
  19. guitarlifestyle

You couldn’t order one two months ago either and prices were around $2850-$3250. In fact, you haven’t been able to get on the list for about a year or so. Yet prices remained fairly stable.

Again, the only reason prices went above $3500 or so is because one guy priced his at $20,000 for no reason other than the fact that Dan posted on his Facebook page.

If the market dictated that pricing, then fine. But it didn’t and so far hasn’t. The speculator’s prices have steadily gone down and it looks like they’re going to level out at around the same price they were before.

20. guitarlifestyle

My point is that the market hasn’t and didn’t dictate that price. It was essentially one person and then other sellers followed. I’ve not heard of more than one or two purchases being made at the premium prices.

In market economics, the demand drives the prices. In this case, the sellers have driven the prices and for the most part, the demand hasn’t followed.

Dan is still building guitars. He plans to continue building guitars as long as he still has supply. The guitars are no more scarce today than they were a month ago. In fact, he had moved his shop and wasn’t building for a while, so I would argue his guitars were more scarce earlier this year. Yet prices remained consistent for the most part.

He still posts builds on his Instagram page just like before.the current number of products entering the market has not changed, so how are they more scarce than before?

derekd likes this.