So annoyed at the price hike on Danocasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slaphappygrandpa, Aug 4, 2019.

1. runningman

runningman Member

I don't think 'gouge' means what you think it means

2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Is he building to order? Or, are these spec guitars? If they are ordered than the market for new doesn't exist any longer other than what is already there.

3. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

They’ll all be made to order. The only difference is at some point he’s going to only sell whatever stock he has left, but the buyer will be able to choose what they want from those parts. There’s no indication on how long his stock will last. It could be next month or it could be next year. I haven’t seen him state a specific timeline. Until then, new guitars will be made.

4. guitarlifestyle

:dunno

5. guitarlifestyle

You couldn’t buy a new one or even get on his list a month or two ago either. Why weren’t they $6,000 then?

When he’s no longer building guitars and people are willing to pay a super premium price for them, then the current prices will make more sense. So far, neither of those are true, save for a few people that have supposedly paid a premium for one.

I just think buyers should wait it out. I imagine more will be hitting the market in the future, which will continue to drive prices down.

6. runningman

runningman Member

Right, but we are talking about guitars... Not bottled water after a natural disaster.

I would argue that using the word 'gouge' in the context of a conversation about consumer luxury goods is imprecise

If an asteroid hits the belvedere vodka plant, and liquor stores attempt to double the price of belvedere vodka, as long as there is a bottle of grey goose on the same shelf, it's not price gouging

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. derekd

derekd Member

On this, we definitely agree.

guitarlifestyle likes this.
  8. RevelBandGuitar

RevelBandGuitar Member

My lone experience with LA Vintage gear was horrible. I was sold a used Danocaster undisclosed (was told it was new.) I found out by seeing pictures of the guitar in question from 2-3 years earlier while it was being shipped to me. Getting Cliff to agree to take it back was like pulling teeth, he wanted to take a 10% restocking fee despite having LIED about it being a new instrument. In my phone conversation with him he was incredibly rude, and when the guitar finally returned to him he threatened to send it back to me with no refund if I didn’t accept the restocking fee.

9. magnus02

magnus02 Member

10. svenhoek

svenhoek Member

Sounds about right. I think he should start stocking Echopark Guitars. Seems like that would be a match made in heaven.

AmplifyMe, derekd, hank57 and 3 others like this.
  11. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Not to start throwing shade. . . at all. But I just came across an ad here and on reverb that is advertising a 2019 Strat. . . Sounds good so far. Gotta take a look. . .

Sale price. . . . $8,000. . . seriously. AND the real kicker is that the buyer has to pay for shipping.

I'm usually the most SUPPORTIVE guy for Emporium members, and for whatever reason the sale is, if someone would pay HALF of that asking price, you should at least toss in shipping.

jiml likes this.
  12. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

great opening in the market for an aspiring builder. It's not rocket science.

13. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I saw that and responded "Ha" and then removed it. If someone wants to pay that they can. It is just a lower way to operate on forum where so many people respect each other and do honest deals.

14. Shnook

Shnook Member

And for that $8000 + shipping you get that rather cheap gigbag!

For the record, last year I sold a Danocaster on here for $1800 I think, and in that deal I threw in a nice G&G hardshell case and paid for shipping.

I’m sorry but as a former owner of 3 Danocaster’s I in no way think they are worth $8000. It’s laughable really.

15. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Exactly. IMO, if Dan was getting tired, he should’ve finished his orders and moved on without a big farewell. It felt a little Finnegan and Dumbleesque...

16. Emigre

Emigre Member

I’m not and never have been in the market for a Dano, and likely never will.

From that cool vantage point I think Dan did what’s best for him and bless him. Firstly the guy needed a break and we can all appreciate that, the price of used guitars is not up to him.

Financially it makes sense - if his guitars had achieved such legendary status it doesn’t make sense to keep working himself to the bone for 3K or whatever — might as well dial back production and sell for 8K.

The guy doesn’t owe anybody any guitars, I understand the price shock but c’mon guys, if your skills commanded 8K would anyone work for 3? That would be insane. He’s not running a guitar charity for GASsy TGP’ers.

That said I think the crazy prices are overvalued, but who knows someone might bite. It’s understandable for those that have a Dano to put it for for 10K on a lark, why wouldn’t they? If someone in their full senses wishes to spend 10K who are we to say no?

17. romo

romo Supporting Member

Maybe I missed something, but its not Dan who is charging $8k for his guitars now, its individuals (plus a dealer) trying to make extra money selling their used Danos, correct?

Emigre likes this.
  18. Emigre

Emigre Member

Yeah I realise it’s not too clear from my post. That’s quite obvious though you’re right to call me on it as I gave it short shrift in my post

My wider point went to him perhaps coming back in the future with a much limited production which I think has been hinted at — though no mention of a price rise from new.

But even then it would make sense in my view. Yes price of used guitars is of course not up to Dano. But even if he were to go back into production, and even if he raised prices, even then it would make sense to me.

19. bforest4

bforest4 Member

I have 4 Dano's and they smoke any fender custom shop I have played, in fact my Dano Strat is quite close to my D'Pergo Aged Vintage Classic which is the gold standard for me (and Dano's were originally 1/3rd the price of a D'Pergo). I would say fair value for a Danocaster is $4,000 and that is what he should be charging if he restarts a limited custom shop program. I have played over a Dozen Dano's and they do vary also like any builder, most are really good to amazing, super resonant and feel and look very close to a vintage guitar, 3 or 4 were average and no better than a standard fender... Dano's were one of the best investment in boutique guitars cause they held their new value and have now doubled in price and I believe will stay there because they are mostly that good...

slowerhand likes this.
  20. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I'm happy that you love yours..truly. However, out of the dozen or so Danocasters I've tried over the years there was only one that wasn't...well...pretty average play/tonewise. The relicing was pretty good, but that comes far in last place for me when looking for a guitar. I have had a bunch of Fender CS guitars that are killer guitars, and much better than the one Dano I thought was pretty good.
    Strat-wise, the bar for me are the two Thorn's I have. Both are superb, and I would take my blue Thorn R/S over any strat in the world...it's that good.
    I'm not well versed on D'Pergo's, in all fairness. I've only played two...one was built really well but just didn't sound all that good. The other had horrible fret slots...they were uneven and some of the frets weren't seated properly as the slots were too deep. The pickguard wasn't cut properly either, but both of those were probably a decade ago so maybe they've gotten better or I just found duds.

Lastly, I don't see the value of Dano's holding long term. They are, in fairness, parts guitars and players down the road would rather have that Fender logo than whatever value you see in Danocasters. Dano's have increased in price lately due to the shutdown of production....no more...and they'll fall down to the $1200-$1500 range. IMO, of course...

RayRay and Thwap like this.