So anyone ever blown up a pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

Well I have....

I have no idea why....thunderstorm outside....lightining strikes, the fuse blows in my apartment ,all devices shut down...AND my Digitech Jamman is smoking!!!!

doesnt turn on anymore.....I've keptit in the drawer, not taken it to a tech cos i dun wanna hear that its fried.....

its fried isnt it?:p

2. thezeng

thezeng Member

ouch man that sucks... yeah never play during a thunderstorm if stuff isnt grounded well (not sure if thats your case)
    well i fried my phase 90 with a solder iron

3. Sid

Sid Member

did the smoke go swirly when u did that...see i can have a sense of humour....i'm not crying....:rolleyes:

4. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

sid oh man. that must suck.

now you wanna buy my rc2? hahah!

ive had no probs at home during storms. was your gries grounded?

5. Sid

Sid Member

gonna take it to goose first man....see how it goes

i was just wondering why none of the other pedals or amp or anything blew up!!

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think that advice should have stopped at "NEVER PLAY IN A THUNDERSTORM"... I won't do it even if I THINK it is well grounded. It's just not worth the risk.

Also don't use land-line (i.e. not cell or wireless, but the other kind) telephones either.

I actually use power strips for all my musical equipment, and physically unplug them when we are in "lightning season" here in Oslo, whenever I am not using them. If there is a thunderstorm I stop playing and unplug.

Maybe the "net" is better in the US, but in Norway when I came here to live, I have had two televisions ruined by lightning...

7. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Totally. Beware of the manual-inflate valve. If you panic, you can easily blow up your pedal.

8. Sid

Sid Member

damn dun temme i had something to do with it:worried, ok time to google manual-inflate valve:dude

9. Sid

Sid Member

the thing is...in Singapore....there is a thunderstorm every second day atleast!!! Literally....Ive gotten so used to it i could sleep thru an explosion in my house....:crazy

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Only with the wrong power supply. and quite often at that.
    Lost a couple of DD3s and 3 vox pedals once when my tech used the wrong adapter.

11. Sid

Sid Member

damn i was using the digitech power supply

12. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I blew up a Rick Graham Woman Tone during a thunderstorm. I wasn't even using a power adaptor. Lightning struck. Lights went out. Pedal was kaput. Something fried inside. Probably a good thing the pedal was between me and the amp or I might have been the one that got fried.

13. phileo17

phileo17 Member

hmmm..hey sid mabbe next time you could get a power surge protection power supply?? like those for the computer? i've got one :) think that'll help..

14. Sid

Sid Member

you know the worst part, i was running through a surge protector:mad:....what really happened ???:crazy

15. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

sid, call the surge protector company.

haha. i guess they'll compensate? maybe. but i doubt so. its worth a shot though.
    bring it to goose or randolf !

16. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Don't know if I blew it up. But I had a used Boss BD-2, at practice one night turned it on, then pushed it with a cranked up DS-1 in front of it and the BD-2 was no more. Not sure what happened to it.

17. stump

stump Member

Smoke= cooked. Back in about 1984 a friend and I were jamming in his basement when I saw lightning and shut down immediately and unplugged all my stuff from the wall. After thirty to sixty seconds of my friend telling me what a "*****" I was, it happened. Lightning hit the house, went through his amp, guitar cords, effects and guitar straight to him. Knocked him out cold, cooked his amp, guitar cable, effects and guitar wiring. He never hesitated after that to unplug immediately. Glad he wasn't killed.

18. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

Oh, we get it here too. I used to fix televisions for extra money. One time a guy brought me his. Dead, no picture or sound. I take the back off and start probing the power supply. Nothing past the AC cord. I check the bottom of the printed circuit board. All the copper foil traces on the board are gone, vaporized by a nearby lightning strike.

When I talked to the guy he laughed and said he didn't think it was repairable, as there was a 2 foot diameter scorch mark on his dresser where the TV was!

19. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

I would say your full of it, but the same thing has happened to me before. It wasn't the type of shock you get from 220v but enough to hurt me to the point I don't play during storms.I went through and checked the ground on all the outlets in my house, the amp, and the guitar and everything was properly grounded when it happened. I have also bought a surge protector and a power conditioner with surge protection so I hope it never happens again.